Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you get 50/50 enjoyment out of this hobby.... >

Do you get 50/50 enjoyment out of this hobby....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you get 50/50 enjoyment out of this hobby....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I hate working on my cars, but I hate losing even more. I gave up going to the last Ultimate Fighting Championship, but I guess it was worth it to get a great final result.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In general, racing any type of vehicle (full size or RC) is about 95% working on and 5% racing (In the case of drag racers it's 99.99999% working on and 0.000001% racing).In any type of competition it takes a lot of work to be the best.

I love the competition part but that's not the only reason I race RC cars. I enjoy hanging out at the track with all my buddies, shootin the shit about RC and everything else. I enjoy being outside (when it's the summer) just having fun.

Some people get to a point when they take things too seriously and forget that it's supposed to be fun. I've seen these type of people bitch and complain about everything and anything (price of stuff, rules, other racers, etc...), they do everything but enjoy their time racing and relaxing and most of them eventually quit (i.e.: the "I'm getting out off the hobby" posts in the for sale section).

Whatever you do in this hobby that makes you enjoy it is cool (racers, bashers, guys that build kits every week then sell them, whatever). Remember, fishing, golfing, basket weaving, bowling, etc.. has room for you if you loose the fun in RC racing.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you think you put too much work into your TC for the amount of racing you get out of it.... Think of it like this, There are top fuel drag racers that are privateers, meaning nobody gets paid any sponcership money goes directly into the car.... For anyone not familiar with top fuel drag racing between each round the entire engine needs rebuilt, the clutch needs rebuilt or replaced, the rearend needs taken apart inspected and possibly rebuilt..... then the entire chassis needs inspected and repaired if need be...... we're talking 3 months worth of work for a normal mechanic needs to be done between rounds usually 1-2 hours...... and if your car goes to the finals your looking at doing this 6-8 times over the course of 2 days!!!

Now put rc work into perspective......
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I try to get 70/30 but it is impossible.

I'd rather be running than building, sometimes. I love cutting bodies and painting them.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

[i]

I'd rather be running than building, sometimes. I love cutting bodies and painting them. [/B]
Ouch, you're sick

If there's one thing I hate, it's painting, cutting and mounting bodies! Mostly because I stink at it! It seems every body I do is worse than the last!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by koabich

If there's one thing I hate, it's painting, cutting and mounting bodies! Mostly because I stink at it! It seems every body I do is worse than the last!
I'm with y'a on this one. I HATE cutting/painting bodies. I use my one color wonders and that's good enough for me.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

i like painting bodies and think im ok, but i hate mounting them, im always off by a little.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by POOKYT
Man!!! Feell like I'm being stalked around here! LOL

Brant
Towel Boy
B-Main Motorsports
There's eye's watching you Pooky.And don't forget about 110% posting on the internet!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

one color wonders, lmao

I dont mind painting but i dont like cutting and mounting the damn thing. I end up moving the body posts around to make the holes i have just reamed align!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i like pretty much everything 100%
wrenching, racing, hanging at the track between heats. Only thing i dont enjoy is working on bodies. paint fumes suck, cutting sucks, mounting sucks. I think im just gonna buy custom bodies from now on and just worry about mounting
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default 95%/5%

well i love the wrenching part , at home , but nothing is a bigger bummer than spending evenings for a week preparing for a raceday just to have a diffgear blow in the 2nd race and have to do it all again between rounds.

Oh when will they make a bulletproof diff??
Old 05-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ??/??

This is an interesting question. I've been wondering this some since I saw this post, and these are my thoughts:

Then:
When I lived out in San Jose, CA, there was no shortage of racing. I could race my touring car in any number of different places on any given weekend and I knew there'd be a great turnout of quality racers. During the winter it was a short drive to Antioch to race my off-road cars.
During this time I found that I just wanted to race. I didn't really want to spend a whole lot of time wrenching on my cars, painting bodies, or anything else. I just raced it, did only what was needed to keep the cars in peak, race ready condition, and left it at that. I would spend alot of time with motor prep and performance as I raced mostly stock classes.

Now:
I've moved back to Iowa. Been here for about 3 years. There is NO touring car scene at all. The closest carpet and asphalt tracks are a 2+ hour drive. The off-road scene is decent, but with a small group of core racers, you wind up racing the same people, in the same class every week. Everybody here races mod, so all my stock tuning equipment sits collecting dust.
Now I find that I spend MUCH more time with my cars. Buildling, detailing, prepping, painting, etc, have all taken on a much higher priority for me. I've got multiple cars for the same class. When I race, I race one car one week, then the next week I'll race the same class with the other car. I do this to keep myself interested and challenged.

So I guess I really don't have a good answer for your question. I guess I do whatever I have to do to keep myself interested in the hobby.

Last edited by cartmen34; 05-04-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up Re: ??/??

guess I do whatever I have to do to keep myself interested in the hobby.
Couldn't agree more, which is why I'm looking at getting something a little less intensive with regards to maintence.

I wish I still had my very first RC (a circuit car from Tamiya) I think it only had like 8 bearings in it.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: ??/??

Originally posted by Mabuchi540

I wish I still had my very first RC (a circuit car from Tamiya) I think it only had like 8 bearings in it.
jeez but i hate maintaining bearings!!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default percentages

Consider the following: 5 minutes on the track and at least several hours in the pits beforehand. The time ratio is hugely disproportiate, but it goes together, and the time spent in preparation can really make the pit time worth it. Ya gotta love it all! Drivers...Less than five...Like music to my ears!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.