Wiki Posts
Search

springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default springs

G'day,

I have an M05 chassis/short wheel base and I'm not sure whether to have soft springs at the back and hard springs on the front or vice versa. Have tried both and can't see a noticeable difference.

The problem I have is over steering and the back end swinging or fishing out.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,

I'll preface this with I've not run SWB however I would like to know what tires you are running. I feel that tires and bodyshell make a big difference to how my Mini handles. With that I find that I run different spring setups for different tires.
Also with the M05 A rear sway bar is helpful. I found it made quite a difference.
The other thing you can look at for the M05 SWB is a large amount of rear toe-in.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Tech Initiate

G'day, thanks for the reply mate. The tyres I have are just standard mini tyres with tread. I've also got the angle adjusted on the rear tyres and I have a 65 gram weight on the front. Maybe I should also try the rear sway bar like you said. I reckon RWD would have better though with the mini, maybe?

Cheers
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Having both FWD and RWD mini's I would say the rear stepping out problem is worse on the RWD than the FWD.

If you are racing then I would change the tires. If you are just having fun and don't want to spend any money yet then try the kit setup exactly first. I'd look at things like ride height and get that down, then maybe shocks. Also try turning down the steer rate and/or expo on your controller.

I found there are a lot of things that need to be upgraded in the standard kit to get it competitive in a race environment.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi from my experience changing springs is useless unless you have figured out a good baseline on the dynamics of your car. And in order to do that, you need to have decent tires on there. With the stock dried up tires, no matter what you do to the chassis the car will spin out. Once you have a decent set of tires you will have a better idea of what changing the springs will do to your car.