2013 Byron On-Road World Challenge >

2013 Byron On-Road World Challenge

2013 Byron On-Road World Challenge

Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Originally Posted by ltrdude
This thread is for the Byron race.If you guys have a problem with how the midwest series is scheduled it should be on the midwest series thread.The byron Race has been at Leisure Hours for many years and they always seemed to work things out.Maybe before you start to post negative stuff talk to Dennis Young and Scott and see if they can work things out.
I looked at all the posts, and for the life of me, can't find this "negative stuff" you speak of. I have yet to read one post by any member encouraging others not to attend. I have read some posts where people explain why they aren't going to attend (myself included) and don't think it's out of place or negative in any way. I think the Byron's race and the Midwest Series issues are linked and this is the perfect place to discuss it. As another commenter said, more people would attend were this issue dealt with properly, and last I checked, we're all about increasing our numbers, regardless which track we're running at. I drive four hours one way just to attend club races...I have to plan my schedule with care, and my schedule this year originally included TWO races in Joliet (which is about eight hours away.) To attend races is a significant investment in both time and money...to have that messed with for any reason is irritating to say the least. And if the cancellation of one race is a tad one sided, well gee whiz golly, it makes me less inclined to go to another race at the same track. I fully get that you see all this as "negative," but from my perspective, if enough people speak up and air things out, regardless of the forum (or maybe because of the forum) then we'd have less issues seperating us and wouldn't be discussing this in the first place. So endeth the rant.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Lets just go back to Byron Race....

I have one question still....for the GT class, I know there are no OFFICIAL engine rule (from ROAR or from the GT communities or whoever), but it was always referring to the $280 retail price cap and non-ON ROAD engine type...do any of you guys know is that still the ENGINE RULE for GT?

I honestly don't think throwing the fastest $600 top of the line ON ROAD engine on a buggy with on road tires will be a mile faster, but...does that stopping someone using these high end ON ROAD engine on the GT?

I would hope at least there is 1 or 2 rule about the cap on engine...

Last year, I was running the A-main at Byron with a $80 STS OEM Pull Start engine...for almost 2 hours of run time in 1 day. Not the fastest thing I have ever seen (can't even use the word FAST) but at least it make noise and smoke on the GT and it move....
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Originally Posted by Solara
Lets just go back to Byron Race....

I have one question still....for the GT class, I know there are no OFFICIAL engine rule (from ROAR or from the GT communities or whoever), but it was always referring to the $280 retail price cap and non-ON ROAD engine type...do any of you guys know is that still the ENGINE RULE for GT?

I honestly don't think throwing the fastest $600 top of the line ON ROAD engine on a buggy with on road tires will be a mile faster, but...does that stopping someone using these high end ON ROAD engine on the GT?

I would hope at least there is 1 or 2 rule about the cap on engine...

Last year, I was running the A-main at Byron with a $80 STS OEM Pull Start engine...for almost 2 hours of run time in 1 day. Not the fastest thing I have ever seen (can't even use the word FAST) but at least it make noise and smoke on the GT and it move....
I think it'll be up to whoever is running the race to set that limit. I think the cap for the GLC was 200....but it seems to me that throwing money at it probably wouldn't help. My buddy runs S&H on his GT and I'd match it against any other engine out there, and you wouldn't believe how cheap you can get those things. Lots of good engines out there for a decent price....
Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default GT Engine rule

I went to the race in Homestead and it was open motor IMO open motor was the way to go. Until ROAR recognizes setting a limit just adds confusion and limits turnout. I have seen off road 5 ports out qualify on road 9 ports. Why set a limit ? My 2cents
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I think it'll be up to whoever is running the race to set that limit. I think the cap for the GLC was 200....but it seems to me that throwing money at it probably wouldn't help. My buddy runs S&H on his GT and I'd match it against any other engine out there, and you wouldn't believe how cheap you can get those things. Lots of good engines out there for a decent price....
Originally Posted by pressure
I went to the race in Homestead and it was open motor IMO open motor was the way to go. Until ROAR recognizes setting a limit just adds confusion and limits turnout. I have seen off road 5 ports out qualify on road 9 ports. Why set a limit ? My 2cents
Yes and No on both.....Racing is always Racing, and Racing need to have some rule, no matter it is a HIGH END rule or LOW END rule, still need to have a rule to follow...

Like USVTA....use 1 brand of motor...everyone run that motor and a list of the no timing ESC so it will transfer the racing to car setup and driving skill....PERFECT.

On GT8....we all know the chassis is start getting "MORE ON ROAD ADVANCED"....don't forget, it is suppose to be a BUGGY with ON ROAD body and tires. Not the ON ROAD chassis converted with buggy on road tires and still call it GT8. That is total BS....totally killing this class. If trying to make these BUGGY run as fast as the OPEN ON ROAD....GO RACE OPEN ON ROAD.

I like the idea about $200....cheaper the better. But I remember last year RUMOR was $280 retail as most of the best engine for OS are under that price tag (OS, Nova Rossi, Rb, Werks....etc) The original rule of the GT class is ONLY PULL START engine allowed...I think that is awesome.

I agree that some 5 ports engine on the GT can outrun the 9 ports on ROAD..however, if you are racing against the best, with very much the same car, same setup and same skill.....then it will go to the ENGINE performance...faster and better engine is ALWAYS better. No matter it is $200 or $600 modified.

I have both "GOOD" engine and "CHEAP" engine....I myself will NOT care much about which one I will use....my concern is which one I am allowed to use. And I am disappointed about after all these year, we still don't have a engine cap rule...at least find one BIGGER one (organization) to follow...since we cannot rely on ROAR.

Last edited by Solara; 03-20-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Last year the rule was any offroad motor and we had a very good turnout for the gt class. We will have the same motor rule this year too.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcmikel
Last year the rule was any offroad motor and we had a very good turnout for the gt class. We will have the same motor rule this year too.
Mike....Is RALLY MOTOR considered OFF ROAD engine..?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Perfect!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im also looking forward to this event regardless of motor, ( haven't yanked a pull start in a while) I just hope that whichever rules are made they include everyone. This class seems bigger than its advertised and limiting anything is the quickest way IMO to exclude until rules are formed. In the few races I have attended for GT there were not many spec or beginner classes and to make it funnier the leaders of those classes were not too far off the A main pace ...lol. Im relatively new to racing so anything to keep my enthusiasm up I will support...See you guys in June
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

The same question was asked last year and it is the same answer this year. No
This was for Howard
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

The same question was asked last year and it is the same answer this year. No
This was for Howard
Last year I was running some cheap ass engine and I did not know someone asked that question so I am not aware of that...but now I do. Thanks...
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

It gets old when you have to buy or change engines for every race you go to. 200, 280, open, off-road , limit ports, pull start. It was submitted to Roar for open .21 to .28 in the GT class because high port on-road engines don't work well in these heavy cars, and most races have been won by lower port cheaper engines. This engine debate has gone on for years now in this class. C'mon Roar, wake up. OPEN .21 to .28 should be in stone by now.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

I just got word from Scott that there will be a barbeque on Saturday.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I just got word from Scott that there will be a barbeque on Saturday.
That sounds good ......
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1/8 and 1/10 will go by Roar rules

1/8 GT Class
Chassis : Any 1/8 scale buggy based shaft driven nitro powered car. Any off-road conversion is OK, chassis must have kickup.
Body : Any commercially available GT style body.
1. Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. Rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and can not be completely cut out. Engine must be under body.

Tires : Any commercially available rubber (No foam based tires allowed) GT style tires are OK.
1.Any insert is OK.
2.All tires must fit under the body. (No addition of wheel flares)
3.Wide rear tires will be allowed.

Engine : Any .28 or smaller displacement offroad engine

Fuel tank: 150cc max.

Pipes : Any tuned pipe is OK.

No electronics may be added to aid in vehicle stability.

If you have any specific question about Gt rules just ask.

These are the rules from last year's Byron's race that rcmikel posted on this forum. These rules were pretty clear and were basically followed by all that attended the race last year. And, I don't remember hearing GT racers grumble about them at the race. If rcmikel can verify, I am pretty sure that these will probably be the same rules for the 2013 Byron's Challenge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.