safety or health

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

safety or health

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

I love that wintergreen smell........But a few years back,racing oval the back door was closed, and man i was ready to pass out from the fumes.........
Old 05-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I found being exposed to the smell of shellite is bad and don't forget lead soldering droplets is the closes thing to being shot, hurts like hell when they drop in your skin.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

my throat was really sore when i spilt my super glue onto my towel which had silicon spray and it started to smoke and i didnt even think of holding my breath so that wasnt good and it smelt real strong aswell.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Post "I love....

the smell of motor spray in the morning."
Old 05-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Smile Soldering

Something that would also help is tobe careful with soldering, especially brushes onto and off motors. Goggles or glasses should be used to avoid any solder splatter that can be flicked off. I've had some solder hit just under my eye - any higher would have been bad! Learn from my experience.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

it has also been proven that anything that is charcoaled, ie chicken, barbecued meat, potatoes etc including the pre packaged chips are cancerous. yes i am serious!! scientifically proven!!

every time you eat a juicy portugese chicken with Piri Piri you are one step closer to death!

for any yanks who may have never eaten portugese style chicken with piri piri, it is the best ever!

Last edited by VenomWorldOrder; 05-02-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

I work as a sheet metal worker everyday of the week, i am grinding stainless steel and aluminium everyday.

I wear one of the cheap air masks to prevent inhaleation. At work we are constantly reminded to wear these.

Another thing you have to be careful of is noise, if your using angle grinders etc you NEED to wear ear protection, it only takes a couple of months grinding without ear protection for you to loose 15% of your total hearing!!!!

All metals when grinded are dangerous, they damage the walls of your breathing system which cant be good..... lol
Old 05-02-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

http://home.sc.rr.com/mlufaso/rc/Paragon.html

Michael Lufaso, Ph.D 's comments
Old 05-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Thanks for the info

My wife wants me to move my stuff to a shed in the backyard because she thinks its toxic and smelly.

After, this I looks like she'll have to move out to the shed as well when she do her nails.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Smoking is more dangerous then everything mentioned....how many of you guys smoke?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by newracer
Yes they can be inhaled but most will get caught in the upper respirator system and expelled. Graphite on the other hand get very small and can get way into your lungs where it is very hard for your body to get rid of. In any case you should be cautious when grinding anything.

Oil of wintergreen is harmfull
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ME/methyl_salicylate.html
OMG!!! I just read this article and I breast feed every chance I get! Am I gonna die?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by John Fontaine
Smoking is more dangerous then everything mentioned....how many of you guys smoke?
These items will give make you sick faster. I think that scares more people when they know they might see the effects within the next few years, opposed to smoking where you KNOW you will have health problems alot later on in life. It's a sad situation, but that's just the way it is.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No, but I find it strange that you breast feed Stan.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Full scale cars use very harmfull chemicals that arent suppose to come into contact with skin or inhaled. A large number of autotechnicians get cancer, pulmanary dieses(spelling), and nervous system problems. I worked as a tech for 14 years and my Father since he was a kid now he is 65. Our hands look beat up not from the physicall beating but more from the chemicals we have used to clean parts with. A techs number one chemical of choice Brake cleaner, Carb cleaner, and Electrical contact cleaner. Just because we play with toy cars doesnt mean we are safe. Physical injurys may be small but beware of the silicone oils , graphite dust, copper,gold silver, aluminum shavings, aswell as poisonus fumes we get when using CA glue, and from the nitro fuel, aswell as the exhuast from the cars. Even the electric devices produce a small amount of radiation.
Something so small and so enjoyable can be deadly. Of course the quantity of exposure varies widely. So guys dont worry and dont start buying biohazard suites. Your exposed to all this dailey in your lives people live with it everyday.! Just play safe and use what lttle commen sense you have to do things safely. Use chemicals in a well ventilated area and use caution ( wear eye protection) when grinding, cutting, filing , and truing anything. Hey dont worry! Your going to live ok!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

I was got a large dose of CA fumes today. It made my eyes burn like fire I now know not to combine CA glue and a heat gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.