Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas for motor for Losi 8ight 2.0 T

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Ideas for motor for Losi 8ight 2.0 T

So with the low low prices of the 2.0 due to the 3.0 release ive decided to give nitro another shot. Anyway, bought the 2.0 Truggy Kit and wondered if someone could give a good couple recommendations on engine and pipe combo? Im not a racer and in fact im more of a basher and like to just rip them around the yard and stuff with my kids. I have a couple 1/5 scales and ive had nitro in the past but this will be my first nitro in years. anyway, my needs are more of a basher, overall decent motor that is RELIABLE and once you get it tuned maybe is good to go? Thats what has scared me away from nitro, every time we would get my trucks out, they wouldnt start or whatever. Anyway, just hoping to get something pretty affordable, not high end at all but reliable and enough get up to rip it up. What about a decent pipe to match? Thanks again for any thoughts or ideas!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Stick to .21 cu for economy, cheaper to run. Something with a roto start will keep starting simple. All nitro engines need tuning when weather changes, it's just the nature of the beast. Just get factory matched pipe for your motor that you want. Being a basher i know price is always a factor but stay away from 'sh' and other entry level rtr engines. Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

O.S. motors are really reliable and if you can't tune an O.S. motor you should stick to electric. They are pretty spendy though. Look also at Werks motors. The B5 would be more than enough motor to push a truggy around.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I also have the same truggy you have. I have tried the Werks B2 and it is a great cheap engine with the 2058 pipe, but I like it more with the Novarossi 2096 021 combo better. I currently run a Novarossi Bonitto and like it as well but I am going to switch to Fusion Engines this season. Many engines are great. Alpha makes a good one, tons, but I have the most experience with Werks, Nova, Orion and OS. I did love my Orions but they were always a bit finicky, at least more so than the Werks which is strange since they are made at the same plant and use the same style carbs and everything accept the crank which for some can be a pain to get a tune, but when right they scream and you wouldn't have any complaints. Os is also a good engine, haven't ran my speed in my truggy but I saw one and it seemed to lack a little on bottom, but it could have been tune. Many will tell you what to run but ultimately it is your choice, I have experience with the above mentioned engines, and I won't ever buy another Orion because of lack of customer support alone. Werks has great customer support same as Nova and Fusion, I have not had any issues to date with my OS so I am not sure if I can get support or not, but as I said I am changing brands mainly for the customer support and because of the great feedback I have read on this forum and others.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dropabomb
So with the low low prices of the 2.0 due to the 3.0 release ive decided to give nitro another shot. Anyway, bought the 2.0 Truggy Kit and wondered if someone could give a good couple recommendations on engine and pipe combo? Im not a racer and in fact im more of a basher and like to just rip them around the yard and stuff with my kids. I have a couple 1/5 scales and ive had nitro in the past but this will be my first nitro in years. anyway, my needs are more of a basher, overall decent motor that is RELIABLE and once you get it tuned maybe is good to go? Thats what has scared me away from nitro, every time we would get my trucks out, they wouldnt start or whatever. Anyway, just hoping to get something pretty affordable, not high end at all but reliable and enough get up to rip it up. What about a decent pipe to match? Thanks again for any thoughts or ideas!
get your self a nova p5xlt and 2058 or 086 pipe. it will run all day and hold a tune like crazy. I hardly have to touch the needles now. and I found the proper tune pretty easy. and it has plenty of bottom end to push that truggy around. and they are priced right I bought my kids stock one for like 200 ish. new in the box!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gsnow39
get your self a nova p5xlt and 2058 or 086 pipe. it will run all day and hold a tune like crazy. I hardly have to touch the needles now. and I found the proper tune pretty easy. and it has plenty of bottom end to push that truggy around. and they are priced right I bought my kids stock one for like 200 ish. new in the box!
P5
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Alpha A352 with Alpha 2090 pipe
Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrosevers
Alpha A352 with Alpha 2090 pipe
+1 for the A352 with 2090
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Werks B5 or Nova P5XLT are gonna be what you want to look at. Both powerful, reliable, and both right around 2 bills.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

.lol... just pick something, you'll be happy if your into it, regardless...
Attached Thumbnails Ideas for motor for Losi 8ight 2.0 T-squirrel.jpg  

Last edited by sschultz; 03-22-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Champion

For under $150 you could get a Losi 454 with clutch, pipe, filter etc.. out of an RTR Losi 8T 2.0, and it would be more power than is really sensible in a truggy - i.e. great for bashing...

Get yourself a couple of purple Odonnell plugs from amain, do a decent and simple 5-6 tank heat-cycle break-in, and the 454's are super easy to break in, tune, run, and have fun with... Great power and user-friendliness for the money.. Just a fuel pig for racing, but yeah, not an issue.. So why pay more for some race engine that's gonna' cost twice as much(with pipe), require preheating and a gallon break-in, etc?...
Old 03-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
For under $150 you could get a Losi 454 with clutch, pipe, filter etc.. out of an RTR Losi 8T 2.0, and it would be more power than is really sensible in a truggy - i.e. great for bashing...

Get yourself a couple of purple Odonnell plugs from amain, do a decent and simple 5-6 tank heat-cycle break-in, and the 454's are super easy to break in, tune, run, and have fun with... Great power and user-friendliness for the money.. Just a fuel pig for racing, but yeah, not an issue.. So why pay more for some race engine that's gonna' cost twice as much(with pipe), require preheating and a gallon break-in, etc?...
+ 1, you can find the losi rtr motors on ebay' guys part out new kits, ive seen them go for about $100 bucks you can get 3 for the price of one high end motor

even seeing guys race with now, they do a quick breakin run the crap out of them then toss em...
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nova P5 if your on a budget,

If not.

CRE Bonito and HANG the F*ck on.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You honestly can't go wrong with the nova P5 xlt . I was the worst engine tuner of all time I struggled and struggled with that freakiin Lodi 454 until I was fed up and bought myself a real motor. Now I have an engine that holds a tune an hauls some serious asssssss!!! I paid less than 200 for it new and I will buy another one when this one dies. It's the best engine for the money period. Get yourself a weeks 2058 or nova 9901 (or losi re12) for pipes. It's what has been recommended to me by a bunch of guys locally and here. Pm me if you have any questions regarding the P5
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrokiller123
You honestly can't go wrong with the nova P5 xlt . I was the worst engine tuner of all time I struggled and struggled with that freakiin Lodi 454 until I was fed up and bought myself a real motor. Now I have an engine that holds a tune an hauls some serious asssssss!!! I paid less than 200 for it new and I will buy another one when this one dies. It's the best engine for the money period. Get yourself a weeks 2058 or nova 9901 (or losi re12) for pipes. It's what has been recommended to me by a bunch of guys locally and here. Pm me if you have any questions regarding the P5
+1 and a 2013 pipe will make it scream. Or 086. To add to the list of pipes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.