Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reciever Battery Pack

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Reciever Battery Pack

Can someone recommend a good receiver batter pack for my DM1 1/7 ? Right now I'm using the 4 AA stock battery setup but am upgrading to Savox digital servos and I need a more stable battery system that can also provide more current. The factory weight of 4 AA's is 97 grams, I'd like it to be lower than that. Also, do I have to get a voltage regulator or no??

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GregUnd
Can someone recommend a good receiver batter pack for my DM1 1/7 ? Right now I'm using the 4 AA stock battery setup but am upgrading to Savox digital servos and I need a more stable battery system that can also provide more current. The factory weight of 4 AA's is 97 grams, I'd like it to be lower than that. Also, do I have to get a voltage regulator or no??

Thanks,
Greg
Dont need a regulator with a LiFe battery and its 23 grams lighter than the AA's

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ck-66V-1300mAh
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

A good quality 1600 to 1800 nimh receiver pack will give you more power than the AA but probably weigh more.

To be lighter you will need to go Lipo or Life

for LIPO you will need high voltage servos and receiver or add a voltage regulator, the regulator will add some weight and extra wiring.... just adding more stuff to go wrong in my opinion

For LIFE you shouldnt need a regulator and will be lighter...so thats sounds like what you are looking for.

So you can pick what you want to deal with....each option has its pros and cons.

I have stuck with using a good quality NIMH pack after seeing connection and regulator issues on fellow racers cars running lipos. A few racers tried LIFE when they were brand new a few years back, they worked well but the packs didnt last a whole season. The packs started to fade in longer mains over 20 minutes, but I hear the life packs have improved lately.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok cool, LiFe sounds like the way to go. The pack that esckalayd posted a link to is 85mm in length and the battery holder on the DM1 can hold about a 60mm pack, do they make a LiFe pack that will fit into my battery holder thing or is there another option such as a different battery holder?

Thanks for the quick and detailed responses!

EDIT: Will this one work fine? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Balancer-Plug

As far as brands go, is there a prefered brand?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Also, I'm seeing run times of about an hour with these packs..... My AA's have provided over 3 hours so far of run time.... Seems kinda backwards to me.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

that should not be a problem i run savox in my GT and have run practice last chance qualifier and main without recharging but i do normally like to put it on between rounds if possible just make sure all your linkages and radio are set up right a savox will 3 amps or more if held against a physical end point
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Tech Lord

Do you have a charger capable of charging LiFe/LiPo?

Any non or basic computer charger do moostly NiMh and NiCad and you can not charge LiPo/LiFe with it. If you do not have such a charger it is wise to get a simple NiMh Humpack.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

I do not have a charger, but from what I see they're only about $100.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...-1500-23A.aspx
ive been buying loose 2/3 a from here and soldering them up my self.......so far so good...and cheap
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...-1500-23A.aspx
ive been buying loose 2/3 a from here and soldering them up my self.......so far so good...and cheap
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...6/PowerEx.aspx I have used these to make 5 cell packs for Team Pursuit and they will weld, solder, (lead i supplied) and shrink wrap for you (at least my guy did)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Red face

Originally Posted by azeroth
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...6/PowerEx.aspx I have used these to make 5 cell packs for Team Pursuit and they will weld, solder, (lead i supplied) and shrink wrap for you (at least my guy did)
You bring a valid point, especially since I have a strong background of electronic circuitry... I kinda feel stupid for not thinking about making my own