TA05 or TA06

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

August 2012 TCS Nationals GT2
1. Mihai Gutuescu -TB03
2. Solomon Figues Jr -TA05 V1
3. Kelvin Khng -TA05 V2 -(has a TA06 but not used)
4. Orlando Sherman -TB03 -(has a TA06 but was not used)
5. Clement Kwong -TA05 V2
6. Nathan Weir -TA05 V1
7. Kevin Cole -TA05 V2
8. Max Valles -TB03
9. Bruce Lohaus -TA05-V2 (not sure)
10. Mark Hinkley -TB03

part of the question wanted to know what was better TA05 or TA06. TCS Nationals is probably the one highest level of racing for tamiya tub chassis. i'm just pointing out that if the TA06 was a better weapon, you would find it at this race. some of this top level racers had the choice of running or buying their TA06 but opted not to.

Originally Posted by SS LS1
I think the thread is getting skewed for the OP intention. Guys this is not a debate about how many of each chassis has a championship or how many were in the A or F Main last week. This is about the question the thread starter originally asked. Which should he buy for his use, not which has the best racing finish history.

He is not primarily a racer and will mainly be drifting with a little racing on the side. Keep that in mind.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yep, No argument here. If you were racing at a national level then I would never use a TA06, just way too much drive train drag. It is not competitive at a National level our even local level. That its rather apparent with the drive layout of the car, and why I do not own one as my main focus is racing.

However, the OP is not a National racer, he is hardly a racer at all but rather a drifter that may enter a race one or two times per year it sounds like. So for that racing skill level it really would not matter which car would it? But his stated main use of drifting the direct rear drive of the 06 is really an advantage along with the center battery layout, yet still a capable club (not national level racer). The drifting aftermarket is exploding for the 06 car thus another reason a drifter might want to consider one over an 05 model.

So not arguing and everyone's opinion is valuable, just trying to keep the OP best interest in mind.
Go Tamiya!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

^ Some good points there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here are my current setup plans
TA05 or TA06
Traxxas TQi from eBay
Hobbywing Solar Servo D228
Gens Ace 5000mAh 50C 7.4v
Hobbywing XeRun Super Stock ESC
Tacon 3650Kv 8.5T motor
Turnigy Accucel 6
Brace yourselves for a noob question overload.

Is the battery door on the TA06 a real hassle?

Does the TA05 have a compatible front/rear diffs? I cannot find a locked rear diff or direct coupling for it.

What is the best version or the TA05 for me to get? I have heard that the IFS is crap.

Besides the TRF threaded shocks ($50), wich shocks are good? What about ones from Eagle racing or 3Racing?

JANG of URC did a positive review of the FlySky GT2 which is about $20 but is becoming hard to find. I can get an overstock Traxxas TQi w/ Rx for around $~3.50 on eBay. Are these any good? I don't have an iPhone, so I can't use the docking thing.

What is a cheap (real cheap) good power supply for a charger?

And are there any solutions for the TA06 gearbox drag?

And guys on URC said that Active Powersports has low prices because when you order from them, they order it through a supplier, something that they don't always do unless you prompt them. I also heard that they have no customer service line either.

Tower Hobbies is good, but their prices are so-so. Omnimodels has decent prices and free shipping.

Where else do you recommend I buy from? Keep in mind that I live in the USA Midwest and not in Japan. I checked my LHS but they charge full price.

Last edited by Velineon; 02-18-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
gom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Velineon
Yes. I used the TA06 for about half a year. That battery door is really annoying imo. I would recommend against the TA06 just for that reason alone actually. It was that bad.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quite the opposite happening here on the East Side...

Tamiya Asia Cup Finals (Singapore, 2011)
1st and 3nd were TA06's
2nd place was a TA05v2
4th and 5th were TB03s
--> Tamiya World Cup GTA Class in Japan that year was also won by a TA06 (Driver was Nicholas Lee from Singapore)

Tamiya Asia Cup Finals (Korea, 2012)
TQ and Winner was a TA06 as well (Driver: PY Tang, Singapore)

Last edited by VooDooPH; 02-20-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Velineon

>> Others find it a hassle, others don't mind. I for one, don't. beats having to use strapping tape and the battery is more secure, imho.

Does the TA05 have a compatible front/rear diffs? I cannot find a locked rear diff or direct coupling for it.
>> use the front direct coupling in the rear if you want to run a spool at the rear for drifting. or you can lock your balldiff using carton/paper rings.

What is the best version or the TA05 for me to get? I have heard that the IFS is crap.
>> The V2 was good...

And are there any solutions for the TA06 gearbox drag?
>> i wouldn't worry about it too much...
hths
Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So racers from the east side figured out how to set up (and win) a TA06 better than the people doubting its capabilities.

I wish TRF drivers provide us with proper set ups and tips for different track conditions using the TA06 kit.

Dear Tamiya, please update the TB03, should be centralized like the TA06 but shaft driven...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

if i may say so, as my TA06PRO is capable of finishing a 7minute heat within 5seconds of a carbon chassis car that also has a 12T sensorless brushless motor while i'm only runing a 16T sensorless brushless motor then it sure does point out that there is more potential then those TA05(V2) or TB03 drivers will admit.
They can say a lot about drivetrain slop but i don't have experienced this on my car nor is this is problem while i'm driving the car against carbon chassis cars.
I have my car from the very beginning they were available and so far no problems at all and the parts are still the same except the center belt.
I remember that when i was driving a fully hoped up TA05 (even in IFS conversion) the car had more wear then my TA06PRO that i have now.
A TA06 is way more balanced then a TA05 and this will automaticly translate to it's performance on the track.
There can be no argueing about performance while a TA05 isn't as well balanced as a TA06.
The more balanced a chassis is means it provides more grip and less wear to rotating parts and it's even easier to drive.
Not saiying i'm the best driver on earth (there are always better drivers) but not every car or setup suits the pilots driving styles.
And for me the TA06 is the car that brings my driving style (wich is smooth and far from a agressive driving style) to my best level even though a TA05 is still a good car.
It all depends on how the pilot drives his car, personal preference is and how well the car has been setup.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Never own a TA05 or TB03 but I can say that my TA06 is working pretty good. It takes a little bit to get the gear box free. Don't over tighten the gear box and it should be ok. Make sure the belts are not too tight and clean the bearings.

What other issue are you guys having with the TA06? Please post, I'll try to help as much as I can. I really don't know why every one is so affraid of the TA06.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

hello all, just got my first tamiya since my original grasshopper when i was 12., just picked up a built but never ran ta05, please tell me i picked a good car to run either in the vta and or usgt class. i can use an insight on this car please, just hit me with all the do's and don'ts. also can any one can tell if and how i can make a body with these #'s work.

over all length 360mm
165mm wide
190-210mm wheel base
thanks
ben
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Did you buy a TA05 M-Four chassis?
Cause for 1/10 (and i think VTA is 1/10) you need a wheelbase of +/- 257mm and about 190mm width.
A TA05 M-Four chassis is for mini or some call it a 1/12th scale car.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

its a ta05,(not m) the body i found is for 1/12 i do know i got is 1/10 but was hoping someone new a magic trick to make it work.