Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to tell if the tire is done. >

How to tell if the tire is done.

How to tell if the tire is done.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How to tell if the tire is done.

For some reason my car never seemed to run right, it would oversteer all over the place. but then I swapped tires and all of a sudden it started driving normal again.

The issue is that the tires that had no traction seemed like it was much stickier to the touch. Does anyone else experience this? What are ways to tell that the tire is pretty much done?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

After a tire get about 5-10 laps on them their good to go . Depending on tire prep /cleaning they could hold their performance for several race days ( my jaco blues seem to last for about 3 race days before they start to fall off ,very high traction) but I notice a thin line form on these tires near inside edge and they still might be good to run on my I find them unpredictable in some areas of the track ...
Sometimes sidewall breaks down and flexes more than normal making them not work with ur setup . Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If they are rubber tires, clean them well with lighter fluid and let them completely dry. Apply compound like normal and run them, if they don't grip they are done. Lighter fluid removed a ton of gunk from some of my tires and returned them to a like new feeling.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I get 10-15 runs out of a set of sweep 32s before I throw them away or give them away.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Initiate

is it normal for there to be such a huge difference between having a new set of tires and and old set?
The reason why Im asking is because I want to know if Im just masking a badly setup car with sticky tires, or if its normal. There is no way to keep the car on the track with the used tires. And it literally clicked like a switch. It was driving fine, then all of a sudden the car just started doing donuts. the tail end kicks out from the smallest input, for the longest time I was under the impression that something broke on the car but I just couldnt figure it out. And then I switched tires and it was back to normal.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ninjlao
is it normal for there to be such a huge difference between having a new set of tires and and old set?
The reason why Im asking is because I want to know if Im just masking a badly setup car with sticky tires, or if its normal. There is no way to keep the car on the track with the used tires. And it literally clicked like a switch. It was driving fine, then all of a sudden the car just started doing donuts. the tail end kicks out from the smallest input, for the longest time I was under the impression that something broke on the car but I just couldnt figure it out. And then I switched tires and it was back to normal.
Check the sidewalls around the outside of all 4 tires and make sure the tires are still securely glued.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Spend more time with your car to find out what was causing the problems before you changed tires.

Yes, tires do go bad, but some tires don't even work from the get go and some will just keep on working. I have a set of Sorex 32s that are 5yrs old that still work well for practice. Back in SoCal, I once saw a person so frustrated with his Sorex 36s, he threw it in the garbage can. I picked it up, cleaned them off and they ran perfectly fine on my car. I asked the guy if he wanted them back but he was set in his mind that those tires didn't work for him.

However, you can set your car to handle for whatever traction that is available. Keep in mind, stickier tires may work but they may also wear out out sooner. I've seen it where on the same exact track, some will handle just right with the stickier tires while some will traction roll with the same tire compound. Its all about setup. Also, a change in bodies can also have the same effect in stabilizing a car.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

YR4 DUDE!
I think you might be able to help by the sound of your screen name. Im running a YR4-Pro2.
Do you think you might be able give me some setup tips. I know its old school, and Im pretty much a noob,
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

YR4 DUDE!
I think you might be able to help by the sound of your screen name. Im running a YR4-Pro2.
Do you think you might be able give me some setup tips. I know its old school, and Im pretty much a noob,
LOL! I haven't ran a YR4 in years. Come to think of it, I don't think we even had Sorex's back in those days. We were running HPI X-patterns or Proline S3s.

What is your set-up?

The one thing the YR4 didn't have was droop adjustment but according to Barry Baker, you can adjust droop by lengthening or shortening the shock link at the end of the shock rod.

Do you have setup gauges to measure your adjustments?

You can PM me further if you want to go more into detail.

BTW, I think you need to take out some steering. Do you know how to adjust your radio? And another thing, are you running a oneway in the front?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So far ive never thrown out tires unless they had the groove on one side or they. Were worn through to the webbing. Sure , they drop off in grip but that depends on track condition, compound, driving style and car class. In stock incan easily run one set for most of the season. If you have different tires to try, do that first before messing with the car. Same behavior, maybe some setup problem.

If you're new, build the car to original specification and try it out before worrying too much about setup. Takes a long time to figure
Out what settings do.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally, I think the best thing to do is to keep track of your runs. I recently pushed a set of tires a bit too far for the sake of curiosity and when they fell off, they fell off very quickly. 2/10's from the previous run with virtually no change in track condition or setup. The run after that they were complete garbage. I would imagine depending on a driver's setup and driving, tire usage may vary a bit but generally what was mentioned above seems pretty common. The tires I described were put through 32 runs and obviously the last 2 were virtually useless and I'd guess (if I were running on the same layout thru all of the runs and could quantify the results) that the last third were past their prime. So for me, I'm thinking 20 runs of good rubber. That's about 3 race days max. Probably keep them around for another 10 runs for strictly "driving" practice.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by linkless
If they are rubber tires, clean them well with lighter fluid and let them completely dry. Apply compound like normal and run them, if they don't grip they are done. Lighter fluid removed a ton of gunk from some of my tires and returned them to a like new feeling.
Im just curious, when I come off the track I do see a lot of excess rubber (gunk that looks like rubber) on my tires. Am I supposed to clean that off? or do I just keep it. I just thought that was just the tires wearing in.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im just curious, when I come off the track I do see a lot of excess rubber (gunk that looks like rubber) on my tires. Am I supposed to clean that off? or do I just keep it. I just thought that was just the tires wearing in.
It's good practice to clean your tires after each run.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lessen
It's good practice to clean your tires after each run.
+1.

Cleaning and applying traction juice every run gives consistent grip & helps tires last a little longer.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Clean it. I did it the last time I was at WC. It helped traction a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.