Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r
Don't quite understand the 4wd feel either.

I can see where the bind would be eliminated with dual dog bone. The old style would cause the dog bone pin to wear the outdrive always in the same spot, and I can see how the pin could get stuck under some conditions.

I disagree about the MIP driveline. If you don't let your pucks wear out, you will never wear out the pin or the outdrive. Supper light, and awesome design. I do use the Kingheadz standoffs, so wobble is not an issue for me.

Nice to see TLR working on things.
The front driveshaft is at an angle compared to the rear. Because of the way cvds work they bind up under acceleration. So you have more bind in the front than the rear, which in effect transfers more power to the rear wheels because of the center diff. A small difference yes, but according to the Losi guys it makes a difference. With the dogbones there is little or no difference in binding so the power is better spread between front and rear wheels. So the fronts are going to pull more, maybe allowing lighter front diff fluid for better off power steering while still getting good pull coming out of the corner.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Good point. I can understand that. Should be a subtle change.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I remember right, maybe somewhere in this very thread, I recall a person knocking on the way the losi was built with the front bind making parasitic loss and losing efficiency in comparison to the tekno platform. Shortly after that I also recal one of the losi guys mounting a defense of how the bind was supposed to be there for a specific reason that was said to be thought out as part of the SCTE's design advantage.
Contrary to any of that, the new part is doing away with the original theory if that was in fact the purpose of the design. I personally figured the design it's self was more geared toward clearance and weight savings until I heard the aforementioned argument.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

You know how it works. Whatever I sell today is the flavor you wanted but never knew it. Buy it. It's your favorite Kool-Aid and we know it

With center diff action thrown into the equation we might need to drop fluid wt in the center diff. Maybe drop it by 5wt to maintain same effect of CVD drag

Really, I don't think we can feel it on dirt tracks. Carpet or sweet sugar tracks, I don't know, maybe. I'm really connected to how my rigs drive and react. Not an expert, but on dirt I know it will be hard to tell in 4wd. 2wd buggy is so sensitive that you can tell about dog bone bind. 4wd truck on dirt will be so subtle.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default TLR334029 22 Shock Conversion for SCTE

Howdy Gents, just wanted to let you know the last part I worked on for the SCTE is this shock conversion to put 22 shocks on your SCTE. These shocks are lighter and smoother and the same bore, 12mm. They also allow you to use the same springs you use with all of your other 22 vehicles. The rear shock tower has another camber hole and is about 6mm lower as well. With the lower rear tower and the lighter shocks, this lowers the CG of the vehicle. Plus these have all the great x rings and machined delrin guides and all that found on the 2.0 line of 22 shocks.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
Howdy Gents, just wanted to let you know the last part I worked on for the SCTE is this shock conversion to put 22 shocks on your SCTE. These shocks are lighter and smoother and the same bore, 12mm. They also allow you to use the same springs you use with all of your other 22 vehicles. The rear shock tower has another camber hole and is about 6mm lower as well. With the lower rear tower and the lighter shocks, this lowers the CG of the vehicle. Plus these have all the great x rings and machined delrin guides and all that found on the 2.0 line of 22 shocks.
These work great and keep common shocks parts across all your TLR products.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
These work great and keep common shocks parts across all your TLR products.
Will we be able to use SCTE springs with these, or will we have to use 22 2.0 springs?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DoogieLee
Will we be able to use SCTE springs with these, or will we have to use 22 2.0 springs?
SCTE springs will be too large. Not sure if they will fit on the spring collars and cups. We have been running 22 series springs on the car and have found spring rates very similar to what we used with the "Racing" springs. I will work with Dunford to get our latest setup on casper-rc.com soon with the 22 style shocks.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
SCTE springs will be too large. Not sure if they will fit on the spring collars and cups. We have been running 22 series springs on the car and have found spring rates very similar to what we used with the "Racing" springs. I will work with Dunford to get our latest setup on casper-rc.com soon with the 22 style shocks.
Aweaome, thank you!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Nice upgrade. Is there a part number for the kit... I see it now

TLR334029 22 Shock Conversion for SCTE

Last edited by Thunder Trail; 10-16-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Are there any shock boots that fit these shocks. I'm spoiled on shocks that never leak and last on the SCTE.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
Are there any shock boots that fit these shocks. I'm spoiled on shocks that never leak and last on the SCTE.
No boots. I have not had any issues with shock leaking on the SCTE or the latest 22 shocks with the delrin spacers and x-rings.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

My 22 truck was a shock leaker without boots, but that's because of the conditions we race in. Our outdoor tracks eat the seals and shafts. Wear the Ti coating off after a few races. Keeping shock boots in good repair makes the SCTE shocks last. I must figure out a way to get a boot on the 22 style shocks before spending $120 on the upgrade kit. Wont be worth it if seals fail all the time.

Anyone have ideas, please share.

With these new open motor designs the new motor bearings that were just installed often fail after 4 lipos. Fine silt makes it way into everything.
I started wrapping my motors in Vet Tape, Gauze tape. Lets air in and keeps most dirt out. Once sealed, bearings live and the amount of dirt sucked into the spur gear cover is acceptable.

Even with these issues, Love the true off road dirt track. Seems most tracks are going carpet, clay and sugar pavement these days. I'm not sure that's what off road should be, but I know that a good place to race gets harder to find all the time.

Last edited by Thunder Trail; 10-19-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ryan or Casper,
Have your tried running the new rear tower with the current shocks on the SCTE 2.0 kit?
Will there be any updated spring collars and cups to still run the larger springs?
Old 10-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How long before this will be available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.