Wiki Posts
Search

Darn, I've been castled by my xo-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)
Default Update to the xo1 esc dying. Good news

So I finally get my speed xo1 unlocked and ready for the fast stuff. This is a brand new xo1 that I have unlocked and setup for fast passes. Today I get it outside to get it trimmed and tested, and the thing shuts down after maybe 5 slow passes up and down the street (fastest was 61mph). By shutting down I mean all power went away and the sucker glided into the curb (scuffed, not killed lol)

The motor never hit 100 degrees, this is not a thermal shutdown, and the switch still works. When I plug the batts in and hit the switch I get nothing at all. No lights, no sounds, and no action!

UPDATE BELOW: all seems to be good on the manufacturers warrantee side. Good companies!

Anyone else seen this with their xo1?

Hey, at least it looks cool.

Last edited by devnull; 01-23-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

How do you know the switch still works if the esc doesn't?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by phildoggg
How do you know the switch still works if the esc doesn't?
Cause when I bypass it I sill get nada...

You can pull the plastic off the switch and get to the contacts, then just short it to see if the switch is the problem before removing it. When I do I get no change unfortunately. I'd love for it to be that.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not sure but in 10 months that I tried killing mine the only thing that last and didnt need to be replaced were the motor n esc . But ive had some runs where it shutdown after some runs and crashes . and ive had the esc wire come loose and the battery part where it was soldered . if you have a spare mamba monster you could plug that in and that would kind of tell u if its the esc .
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by FLoJo
not sure but in 10 months that I tried killing mine the only thing that last and didnt need to be replaced were the motor n esc . But ive had some runs where it shutdown after some runs and crashes . and ive had the esc wire come loose and the battery part where it was soldered . if you have a spare mamba monster you could plug that in and that would kind of tell u if its the esc .
I do have another mamba (8 of them actually lol), and agree. Generally they are bulletproof but I have had a few lemons before. Castle has been quick to offer the exchange (good), and terrible on actually getting said exchange to me (bad castle, bad!).

I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they say. This sucker is dead and isn't coming back to life until the castle magicians loom at it.

Thanks bud...
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

If you had the 100mph gear in it and drove it slow that's why you nuked the esc.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Evan Steeves
If you had the 100mph gear in it and drove it slow that's why you nuked the esc.
I'd agree if it was any type of sustained low speed. We are talking about a few passes that never got the motor above 100 and the esc never got warm.

This was nowhere near a sustained deal. You have to at least be able to trim the steering before frying it, and amp draw popping it does not come into play as you ease in lol

Last edited by devnull; 01-23-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

UPDATE:

So I was finally able to call Traxxas and Castle today (have been travelling the past few days). I must say that both companies were absolutely great to deal with and met my expectations (which is not always easy I will admit).

Sending out the old and will run a monster until the new comes back in.

Faith restored, and speed will be too soon.