Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Buggy to Buy !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
my bad dude forgot about the price range it's $750.00 just pick it up yesterday so now i getting rid of my new hyper7 pro

Old 04-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

I've got 2 Mayhems (1 RTR and 1 Pro) and a Jammin X1 Cr Pro. I'd have to agree that the Mayhem is the most bang for the buck but the Jammin is a better buggy. You'll pay $200 more for the Jammin without radio or engine. For a newbie to buggies, the Mayhem RTR is the hands down winner. For the more experienced driver, the Jammin Pro is the way to go. The Jammin is stronger and has more chassis setup options. The Mayhem has lots of upgrade parts available at HorizonHobby.com at a very reasonable price which is usually far less than what the competition offers. For the local Sportmans class the Mayhem will more than hold its own. The Mayhem RTR comes with a VERY strong .26. Much better than the competion's offering. The Jammin is geared more for the advanced buggy driver. I purchased my Mayhems back in September and drove the holy cr@p out of them through December. I then bought a Jammin and that is now my favorite ride. My brother still has 2 Mayhems and will not switch to anything else.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Bang for the buck... my opinion:

1) Sportwerks Mayhem RTR
2) Jammin X1 RTR
3) Sportwerks Pro w/ Engine and Pipe
4) Xray XB8R (due out the end of this month or early May)

I run a Sportwerks Pro w/ engine and pipe. I can't compare it to anything else as that is the only 1/8th buggy I have ever driven. However, I do like it a lot and it seems very capable and even easy to drive for a beginner like me. If you already have some strong servos and a good FM radio system the Mayhem Pro and a Starter box (and glow igniter, starter box battery, fuel bottle, fuel, spare glow plugs ) gets you right into the action. I've been taking my Mayhem Pro apart from stem to stern for a good cleaning and to put a setup one of the Sportwerks guys suggested onto it. I've been surprised how easy it is to work on. It's not quite as tunable as some of the more expensive buggies (again...that's based on what I've read) but that also keeps a novice like me from screwing it up too badly.

If you don't have any electronics you can get the Sportwerks Mayhem RTR but from what I've read the servos are totally inadequate in the RTR Mayhem.

XLGraphics... how are the electronics in the Jammin X1 RTR? The steering servo how over 100oz of torque?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Hey nick... to better assist us in suggesting what to get can you provide info on any R/C related items you may already have like radio gear, servos, battery packs and such?

Also... what level of experience do you have with RC in general?

Do you plan to Race (club level or will you be traveling to larger events) or do you plan to just bash about?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Dont overlook the Thunder Tiger EB4 S3. The only options to get would be a Racers Edge front shock tower and you have a top of the line kit for around $530 or so. Just add motor/pipe of choice and electronics.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Regional Moderator

I think his soft limit was $450 and hard limit was $600. So your talking around $800-$900 or more for a thunder tiger EB4 S3 plus motor, pipe, header, electronics, starter box. If he already has the electronics, motor, starter box and such then it would definately be a good option.

It's a good mid to high level buggy though from what I've read. Our local hot shoe went that route for his 1/8th buggy.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
what are the top of the line buggy
Old 04-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default TWF8B

there's a great site, for reviews,buildup, setup and performance...etc..

www.twf8.ws

Last edited by pininfarina; 04-19-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by UnderDaHill
Hey nick... to better assist us in suggesting what to get can you provide info on any R/C related items you may already have like radio gear, servos, battery packs and such?

Also... what level of experience do you have with RC in general?

Do you plan to Race (club level or will you be traveling to larger events) or do you plan to just bash about?

No. I will need to get all items engine and electronics.

Well I have been in RC for 3 months. I have built One Savage SS, one all aluminum Savage w/ SH .28 engine , and one AE TC4.

So Noobie, yes! I have only bulit 3 so far. Buggy is next. And it is sound like the mayhem is my boy. I would like it in kit form tho.

Thanks all.

Nick
Old 04-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: TWF8B

Originally posted by pininfarina
there's a great site, for reviews,buildup, setup and performance...etc..

www.twf8.ws
IMO this site seem VERY wick.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bob, I mean Underdahill, The servos that come with the jammin are poor pieces of Cr@p. I switched mt steering servo out for a more favorable one.

I'm racing it tonight for the first time and I'd have to say I love it. It stays on the track and under contraol at all times. I need to lean the motor out a bit because i'm running too rich at the moment. I'm also not at top speed. Hopefully Ben and Alex will help me.

I also learned how to jump with it, thanks to everyones suggestions on here!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Sorry Underdahill, I saw XB8 and knew it was over $600 but failed to see the "R" on the back. Thought maybe his price range had changed.

I would suggest any car that your local hobby shop carries/can obtain parts for. Seems like all the cars have different distributors.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Yup... definately check with your LHS to see what they can get parts for easily.

I'd say the Mayhem and Jammin X1 RTR's are both good choices and comparatively priced. You'll get those running for under $600 but will likely be upgrading servo's and such in very short order.

I think I was right at $600 when I got the Mayhem Pro ARR after buying the starter box, fuel, receiver pack and such. I already had two very strong servos and a radio so I didn't have to spend money on that.

You may want to look for a used setup but if you are wanting new and something in kit form your talking big bucks by the time you get everything put together. The yet to be released Xray XB8R may be your best bet for a kit form entry level 1/8th. Your still looking at around $500 for a roller in that scenario.

Does anyone else know of a Buggy that comes in a kit form that can be built out (electronics, starter box, engine, pipe) for under $600? Of coarse there is the whole pull start way to go. NOT SUGGESTED!
Old 04-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by mrfastrc51
what are the top of the line buggy
Kyosho 777, Jammin X1 CR Pro, Thunder Tiger EB-4 S3 , Mugen MBX5 Prospec, Xray XB8. Not in that order. Best bang for the buck: Sportwerks Mayhem - hundreds less than the competition yet ultra competitive in the Sportsman class.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

just go for x1cr and dont turn back anymore, you'll not regret..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.