Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Pro comes with blue aluminium turn buckles and TRF dampers and I believe CVDs. That's it though.

The carbon reinforced parts were introduced at a later date.. No kit to date has included them.

All kits also come with plastic diff gears
Old 03-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Metal One since u just built ur Xv-01 can u tell me what the ground clearance is? Also heard about reversing the A-arms to get more clearance? Can u explain that to me please? Supposedly its in the instructions if I read it correctly. I have one on the way, but ever so anxious to know if this has the ground clearance i'm looking for! Just for comparison my TC4 has 13mm of ground clearance w the shocks being the limiting factor, but even if I got longer shocks would only give me like 5mm more maybe.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metal One
Ah man. The Pro is sweet! All those aluminum goodies. Does it come with the carbon reinforced parts too? What about the steel diff gears? Their website doesn't do a very good job of explaining what the Pro version comes with over the others.

Aluminum pulleys and the larger aluminum suspension mounts were not in stock at TQ when I ordered so I replaced those with the carbon reinforced versions along with the battery cover, upper deck brace, motor and gearbox braces, A-arms, shock towers and steering parts. Slipper clutch is in. Steel diff gears are in. Aluminum shocks with long legs are mounted for more ground clearance. I've replaced most of the Phillips screws with stainless hex screws leftover from other RCscrewz kits. I'm ready to rally!

The steering system in this thing is as good as it gets. Strong and slop free. I've ordered a Fast Eddy sealed bearing kit for mine and an RCScrewz XV-01 kit to complete the screws I don't have. I would like to get a few more aluminum pieces to really complete it.
Unfortunately, the Pro doesn't come with steel diff gears nor carbon reinforced plastics. Like Raman mentioned, it comes with TRF shocks, blue aluminum turnbuckles, front and rear CVDs. Aside from those, it comes with a blue anodized motor mount, High torque servo saver and reinforced drive belt.

Looking forward to reading more about your build!
Old 04-01-2016, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Ahh, still, those are some pretty nice upgrades. The shocks and universals probably cost more alone than the difference in the kit price with the extra goodies.

My ride height. Hmmm... I didn't bring it with me to work today so I'll have to measure that tonight when I get home. I can tell you that at max height, the steering tie rods hang the chassis when turning so I used droop screws to limit the downward travel. It's probably not an issue because the car will rarely be at full extension and full lock at the same time but it was a good reason to put more shiny bits on the car.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Man, I whammied my XV-01 earlier. I was out running on the local greenway and didn't realize one of the concrete sections had a 1" dropoff to the next section and I hit it the wrong way going full speed. It flipped end over end and landed on the spoiler. Snapped that off on one side, broke a carbon rear a-arm and there's a bit of battle damage on the front skid. Luckily, I still had my plastic spares and it's all good now but... dang! I've been over that section a thousand times in both directions with trucks, buggies and crawlers and never knew it was there but I'll sure remember it now.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Several XV-01s have been discontinued. This is a concern. Are the kit versions recieving an updated? Is it possible that we could see an XV02? This is one of my favourite chassis and I'd hate to see it go. Second fav chassis (first being the Associated SC8, that's probably the most bulletproof R/C ever made, as well as one of the best looking).

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...oad-(xv)-36180
Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CharlieJT
Several XV-01s have been discontinued. This is a concern. Are the kit versions recieving an updated? Is it possible that we could see an XV02? This is one of my favourite chassis and I'd hate to see it go. Second fav chassis (first being the Associated SC8, that's probably the most bulletproof R/C ever made, as well as one of the best looking).

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...oad-(xv)-36180
Tamiya tends to discontinue to Pro kits and then come up with other variations such as R, Pro II etc and recently Ver II

Going with Tamiya's current trend we are most likely due for an XV01 Ver II with some updates in suspension geometry etc. I don't think we are due for an XV02 yet.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Raman
Tamiya tends to discontinue to Pro kits and then come up with other variations such as R, Pro II etc and recently Ver II

Going with Tamiya's current trend we are most likely due for an XV01 Ver II with some updates in suspension geometry etc. I don't think we are due for an XV02 yet.
Ahh ok. I hope that is the case. Do you have any inside info or is this just a prediction?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

That is good to hear. The kits section of their website sure would be a lot easier to navigate if you could filter out all the discontinued kits.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Here's one for you. Ordered a few parts from Tower over the weekend. Small parts. Two aluminum suspension mounts and a reinforced belt. The carbon reinforced A-arms are backordered. Anyway, that's it. Three little parts. One belt and two suspension mounts. Could not be delivered by USPS!

Now... sitting in my mailbox was my RCScrewz XV-01 kit in a small USPS priority mail box with plenty of room left over.

I can't wait to see what size box Tower has packed these three little parts into so that it could not fit in my mailbox or behind the storm door or even on the porch.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airflow
I see the advantages of this kit running on dirty surfaces (streets). Kit maybe heavy but its drivetrain is protected from the elements and would last a lot longer compared to kits with exposed drivetrain. I think this is Tamiya's answer to on-road street bashers, rally crowd and TA03 fans.

I would buy one this year just because of the properties of this kit. Extracting the best from this kit is gonna be rewarding.

Just my opinion.
This has been exactly my experience. Awesome car for running in "real world conditions". And if you get bored with 4WD, you can remove the belt and rear drivetrain parts, mount the rear wheels on the bare stub-axles, throw a spool in the front, and run it as a FWD car.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Raman

That would be cool. Though my XV-01s are so heavily upgraded now that there would probably be no benefit for me to get any v2 parts.

What I'd really like is for Tamiya to start selling the carbon-fiber motor stay as a separate part instead of only including it with FF04 kits. It's a great upgrade for a vehicle that has a bunch of valuable parts immediately behind the front bumper.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Metal One
Man, I whammied my XV-01 earlier. I was out running on the local greenway and didn't realize one of the concrete sections had a 1" dropoff to the next section and I hit it the wrong way going full speed. It flipped end over end and landed on the spoiler. Snapped that off on one side, broke a carbon rear a-arm and there's a bit of battle damage on the front skid. Luckily, I still had my plastic spares and it's all good now but... dang! I've been over that section a thousand times in both directions with trucks, buggies and crawlers and never knew it was there but I'll sure remember it now.
Thank goodness for the integrated skidplate in the front bumper mount, right? It helps a lot to be able to ramp over stuff like that, even if the bumper still hits head-on before it bounces up enough to slide on the skidplate.

I recently broke a carbon-reinforced rear A-arm as well. I'm wondering if the plain nylon ones might be better for this chassis, but I glued the carbon-reinforced one back together and wrapped it with some CF strands, which I also glued in-place, and it's still holding together, so maybe it was just a freak accident and not an indicator that the carbon-reinforced arms are too brittle.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fiercextreme
Metal One since u just built ur Xv-01 can u tell me what the ground clearance is? Also heard about reversing the A-arms to get more clearance? Can u explain that to me please? Supposedly its in the instructions if I read it correctly. I have one on the way, but ever so anxious to know if this has the ground clearance i'm looking for! Just for comparison my TC4 has 13mm of ground clearance w the shocks being the limiting factor, but even if I got longer shocks would only give me like 5mm more maybe.
My ground clearance, with the long-damper shock towers and long-travel dampers, is 19mm nominal / 24mm max. That extra bit of travel doesn't sound like much, but it does help, especially since it means you can run the suspension with a little sag to help maintain traction when cornering without having to drag the chassis on gravel.

Looking at the A-arms I don't see any way to get extra clearance by flipping them over. The limiting factor, once you have the long-travel damper kit, is the A-arms impacting the chassis where the droop screws would go.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Finally finished building my XV-01 Pro. Dang, this thing uses a lot of plastic spacers! Right now it's all stock except for the slipper clutch and aluminum suspension mounts. I'm going to fill the rear diff with some thicker oil so I can get it to powerslide sideways much longer. Also need to raise ground clearance a bit, but I don't know how to do it. Using the longer shock ends on the front makes the tie rods rub on the chassis

Sorry for the large inline photos. For some reason, I can't attach more than one photo using the reply function

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.