Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by metalnut
A quick shot from today. The XV is currently set up for onroad, running on TC springs and HPI X-pattern tires. I think in this form it could make a killer VTA car, but I'm just practicing my apexes
That is so sweet!!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

I got my kit today!

I just did like 2hrs of work in it. I'm so excited to get this chassis up and running.

I will post pics tomorrow!!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clittle
That is so sweet!!!!
Thanks man! I really love the XV, such a great all-around car. So many uses

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S
I got my kit today!

I just did like 2hrs of work in it. I'm so excited to get this chassis up and running.

I will post pics tomorrow!!
You're going to love it, just wait till you drive it the first time
Old 04-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

I can't wait metalnut! Hopefully I will finish the build today.

So you said to run 70wt oil and use the longer shock ends?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

I can't wait metalnut! Hopefully I will finish the build today.

So you said to run 70wt oil and use the longer shock ends?
70wt is good (stock oil weight), I'm running 80wt right now since I wanted a little bit more stiffness. I used the longer shock ends for an offroad setup, shorter ones for onroad only.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Cool, thanks.

I'm going to do more work on it when I get home.

I will also post some pics!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

I finished my kit today and then took it for a quick spin! The kit went together very easily, didn't have any issues.

I also ordered a slipper clutch with my kit. I put one on my DF03ra awhile back and figured I'd grab one for the XV01 also. I got a Tamiya Team Arai Subaru I have to work on next for this chassis, still need to decide how I want to paint it. I kept my DF03ra's Subaru simple, just a plain metallic blue paint job (no rally stickers).

I love the chassis! The only negative would be the battery compartment. It takes a few minutes to arrange my battery wires so that they fit nicely and the door can go on. I don't like how the door requires 2 screws to be taken out to open the door. I like the battery door on my DF03ra better, just a body clip and pin. I do like how the ESC and receiver are in the box. I tucked all my wires around them and I also zip tied my capacitor to the top of the box.

Does anyone have any tips for this chassis? I want to find an easier way to arrange my battery wires and I also want to mount my switch somewhere other than on top of the servo. I definitely plan on ordering some clamp on wheel hubs. The plastic ones fell off my chassis twice while just sitting on my table. Any other hop ups you guys recommend?

Here are some pics:

Last edited by SerpentCT4S; 04-03-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

That looks really good! Nice job

I've taped my power switch to the servo as well, but when I had to take the servo out I ended up just zip-tying the switch to the motor wires. That's how it is now, not great but it does the job. I've seen others dremel out the side of the electronics box to mount the switch. There is already a small hole there, they just expanded it, made it square, and popped the switch in. Looked good.

I hear you on the battery door issues. I already crushed/lost one of the little rubber o-rings that's supposed to keep the screw from falling out of the door, so my screws fall out. What I end up doing is flipping the car over on its shell, placing it on my track/tool bag, and just patiently getting the battery in. I really do hope someone comes up with a better solution, I'm all ears.

So how did you like the handling?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by metalnut
That looks really good! Nice job

I've taped my power switch to the servo as well, but when I had to take the servo out I ended up just zip-tying the switch to the motor wires. That's how it is now, not great but it does the job. I've seen others dremel out the side of the electronics box to mount the switch. There is already a small hole there, they just expanded it, made it square, and popped the switch in. Looked good.

I hear you on the battery door issues. I already crushed/lost one of the little rubber o-rings that's supposed to keep the screw from falling out of the door, so my screws fall out. What I end up doing is flipping the car over on its shell, placing it on my track/tool bag, and just patiently getting the battery in. I really do hope someone comes up with a better solution, I'm all ears.

So how did you like the handling?
Yea, I was thinking about zip-tying it to the motor wires also, but I'd rather securely mount it somewhere. I was thinking about cutting a square piece out next to my antenna hole and mounting it from underneath.

The battery door seems to be the only problem. They should ahve designed some kind of quick release door instead. Oh well, I guess we're stuck taking out 2 screws every time.

I only ran it up and down my driveway because it was already dark out. I will run a full pack tomorrow and let you know. The Savox servo in there is nice though. I need to get one for my DF03ra now!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

LEDs came in today - along with new wheels/tires. 3mm in the outer buckets, 5mm for the front headlights (white and blue) and 5mm in the rear (white and red). Wheels are +6mm offset all around on HPI t-drift tires. The XV-01 is really a versatile chassis, here it is in hoon mode :

Switched the setup to white springs front, yellow springs rear and 80wt in the dampers all around. The car drives better with this setup and is easier to get a controlled drift (even on rubber tires), less prone to snap oversteer. Camber is set @ 1.5 all around.

I also want to mount my switch somewhere other than on top of the servo.
I was in the same boat - as I needed the switch / v-port exposed and can't be contained in the Rx box. I cut a notch
on the top of the cover, just wide enough to run the flatwire over the ridge and attached the switch above the battery box
next to the belt guard:

HTH

Last edited by macavant; 04-03-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm waiting for my vw body but already know I want lights. Where did the light buckets come from?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fvrr
I'm waiting for my vw body but already know I want lights. Where did the light buckets come from?
The LED buckets came with the Tamiya bodyset. The LEDs and control box I purchased through hobbypartz.com. The LEDs activate similar to how a TLU-02 functions.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by macavant
The LED buckets came with the Tamiya bodyset. The LEDs and control box I purchased through hobbypartz.com. The LEDs activate similar to how a TLU-02 functions.
Yeah, a lot of the Tamiya "body sets" come with light buckets, some just front, some front and back. Most HPI bodies don't come with them (from what I can see), so just look for the stuff in the description.

But you CAN get juts light buckets from Tamiya I think, and from some of the Hobby* websites too, you just may have to fit them.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

I just ran a pack through my XV-01. This car is sweet! It's setup pretty nice as is. I might add a degree of camber and toe to it though.

The car handles very nicely, so much different than my DF03ra. I do have one issue with the steering though. My car turns turning radius is alot tighter to the left than the right. I centered my servo before installation and both of my EPA's are set the same as well. How can I balance this out?

I am still not sure what to do about the body. The instructions say to do some parts pearl white and some metallic blue. I will probably just do the whole body metallic blue and put on all of the decals (not pre-cut!).

I also found a new spot for my switch. I have it coming out with the motor wires, then I simply made a U-shape and mounted it onto the chassis. I will post a pic later tonight if I have a chance.

I will also be ordering a light kit for this body as well!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

I just ran a pack through my XV-01. This car is sweet! It's setup pretty nice as is. I might add a degree of camber and toe to it though.

The car handles very nicely, so much different than my DF03ra. I do have one issue with the steering though. My car turns turning radius is alot tighter to the left than the right. I centered my servo before installation and both of my EPA's are set the same as well. How can I balance this out?

I am still not sure what to do about the body. The instructions say to do some parts pearl white and some metallic blue. I will probably just do the whole body metallic blue and put on all of the decals (not pre-cut!).

I also found a new spot for my switch. I have it coming out with the motor wires, then I simply made a U-shape and mounted it onto the chassis. I will post a pic later tonight if I have a chance.

I will also be ordering a light kit for this body as well!
Regarding steering, a couple of thoughts

1. Is the servo horn hitting either side of the servo compartment? My comes pretty close to hitting the side closer to the electronics compartment, but stops just short of it.

2. If you detach the servo turnbuckle, can you get equal steering lock on both sides? While running once, I got a small rock jammed inside the chassis, which prevented the steering column from turning right as much as it turned left, because one of the pieces was hitting the rock prematurely. I'm basically asking if the steering is free side to side. If it is, then your servo is limiting the turning, if it's not, then look for obstructions.

Also check your subtrim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.