Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
kyosho inferno gt1 not selecting 2nd gear >

kyosho inferno gt1 not selecting 2nd gear

kyosho inferno gt1 not selecting 2nd gear

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Default kyosho inferno gt1 not selecting 2nd gear

Hi everyone this is my 1st post here,I recently bought a used inferno gt for $160, the 2nd gear was chewed up so i replaced it ,the previous owner said it liked eating the 2nd gear so he slotted the holes in the chassis that secures the engine (mesh) ,MY problem is i am not able to get the car to go to 2nd , its tuned right and the mesh is ok i think ,i have removed the transmission several times and taken it apart and reassemble it per the online manual and still nothing , I mainly run Traxxas products where the transmission gears are all internal and i have to mesh just the one clutch gear and spur gear ,however i have a hpi rs4 3 evo that has a similar setup as the inferno gt and i have no problems .Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamdude
Hi everyone this is my 1st post here,I recently bought a used inferno gt for $160, the 2nd gear was chewed up so i replaced it ,the previous owner said it liked eating the 2nd gear so he slotted the holes in the chassis that secures the engine (mesh) ,MY problem is i am not able to get the car to go to 2nd , its tuned right and the mesh is ok i think ,i have removed the transmission several times and taken it apart and reassemble it per the online manual and still nothing , I mainly run Traxxas products where the transmission gears are all internal and i have to mesh just the one clutch gear and spur gear ,however i have a hpi rs4 3 evo that has a similar setup as the inferno gt and i have no problems .Any help would be greatly appreciated
Is the transmission in your inferno gt the old finger-style on second gear or the new two-shoe style? If it is the old finger-style, you have one set screw in the two-speed mechanism that you have to screw out so that the shift point will engage sooner. If it is the new two-shoe style, you have two recessed set screws on either side of the shoe arrangement that have to be loosened together (turned the same number of times out on each side) or it will not shift properly. Hope this info helps.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Initiate

thank jlock ,I think its the old style , there are 2 set screws on the 2nd gear , 1 locks it to the main shaft and the other is for shift point (earlier or later) i even made sure the spring is not broken i will turn the screw counter clockwise more once i get home from work today
Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamdude
thank jlock ,I think its the old style , there are 2 set screws on the 2nd gear , 1 locks it to the main shaft and the other is for shift point (earlier or later) i even made sure the spring is not broken i will turn the screw counter clockwise more once i get home from work today
Ok, thanks for the info. Does the set screw holding the spring turn really easily? If it does, then it will loosen and cause the car to go immediately into second upon take-off (won't hold its setting). A little bit of locktite will fix that.

I will tell you that if you keep the Kyosho, you will need to upgrade it to the newer two shoe transmission. The one you have had an issue of the finger eventually cutting into the plastic on the inside of the second spur gear and causing that gear to eventually strip. If you upgraded the engine from the GXR 28 to any aftermarket one, you will always have that issue. The upgraded transmission is not cheap but it will eleviate the second gear issue. If you keep running the old transmission, I think I have some gears that I purchased a while back that I will let you have if you want. Just PM me your mailing address if you are interested in them.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Got to agree

Originally Posted by JLock
Ok, thanks for the info. Does the set screw holding the spring turn really easily? If it does, then it will loosen and cause the car to go immediately into second upon take-off (won't hold its setting). A little bit of locktite will fix that.

I will tell you that if you keep the Kyosho, you will need to upgrade it to the newer two shoe transmission. The one you have had an issue of the finger eventually cutting into the plastic on the inside of the second spur gear and causing that gear to eventually strip. If you upgraded the engine from the GXR 28 to any aftermarket one, you will always have that issue. The upgraded transmission is not cheap but it will eleviate the second gear issue. If you keep running the old transmission, I think I have some gears that I purchased a while back that I will let you have if you want. Just PM me your mailing address if you are interested in them.
A buddy of mine with one of those had nothing but trouble, eating 2nd gears with the original tranny. He put the upgraded type on at the beginning of 2012 and never had a problem all year long. You can get them for about 70 bucks or so off Ebay and they are worth every penny.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Initiate

thnx for the offer for the gears jlock but i just replaced both gears after i bought the car, the guy that had it before me even slotted the holes on the chassis to try to get the engine away from the tranny a lil , i did notice that the back of the 2nd gear was chewed by the 2nd speed finger. i will just order the gt2 assembly Igw008 like you both said. Is there anything else i will need to make it work in the gt ?do i have to replace the driveshafts? I noticed that some assemblies are pictured with one drive shaft
Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Stripping 2nd cuz baybe running on 2nd gear. You bought it for cheap. Maintain the transmission, making sure nothing else is worn out.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Initiate

thanx geezatec ,the car is in very good shape the only issue is the tranny, I got it cheap because the kid that had it was tired of replacing the 2nd gear hence that why he tried to put i bandaid on the problem by slotting the holes in the chassis because in his mind the engine was too close to the tranny and the mesh was too tight. I am waiting for someone to tell me all the parts i need to get along with the gt2 tranny assembly for it to work in the GT
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Not too familiar with Kyosho. If kyosho uses a one-way clutch, turning the gears by your finger clockwise the car should move forward. Counterclockwise it should be freewheeling or car just sit there. May just to clean one-way and shaft. As posted before maintenance your transmission. Manufactures may suggesting to lube or grease( one-way lube). I'd rather just keep it dry. One-way could be pressed in a hub on the spur gears. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Hey jamdude.....

I still haven't installed the newer K trans yet but need to tell you that the newer trans comes as a unit for the GT2 (longer chassis) and has a special length dog-bone since the new (2 shoe) trans is a little longer due to that spacer between the gears. I believe you would be looking for a front dog-bone about 5mm shorter than the 1 you currently would have in the front of your car.

Sounds like you need to keep the car out of the gravel. I wouldn't use the screen that would trap the junk around your trans gears.

I would still try getting your shift point set with the old trans so that you can understand the trans/engine relationship before trying from scratch with that new trans unless you can get someone to do a 'show and tell'. I've seen some unhappy dudes trying to set that without help.

Are you sure that you have the proper pinion/spur gear ratios??? The 40/46 or 43/46 need to mesh properly.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

i order the stock gears for that car ,they are 40/46 ,not sure about the pinnions,the only thing thats left is to order the 2speed assembly that holds the finger that pops out and grabs the gear