Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rear one way??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default rear one way??

ok guys, ive been just a basher for about 20yrs, i just started racing offroad about 4 mnths ago and now im 2 races in to my onroad career, my question is this, i hear people complain about not likeing a front oneway because of rear wheel braking, well i used to race motorcycles for about 5 yrs and raced legends cars as well, and in that along with real cars about 80% of your braking is done with the front wheels, so has anybody ever tried a oneway in the rear? seems to me youd get benefits of a one way but still get front braking and no worries of ass swinging around. anyone think this could work? i realise this post could make me look really dumb, but i cant be in the know unless i ask or try it!!
Old 04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default rear one way

my guess is the big companys that have a lot of r&d time and money have most likely tried it and did not like it. with all the traction you can generate on carpet, i wouldn't be surprised if the rear end didn't come around anyway when all the weight shifts to the front in a hard turn.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I too have wondered the same thing, I come from a real race car background and we ran open rears, either a locker (which would act just like a one-way) or a gear drive unit which would send the power to the wheel that was getting the traction. We ran only oval but it might work? I might try it in my xxx-s this week and see what happens. Diff up front and one-way in the rear.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

yeh, i am gonna try it in my 414, i dont even have to change the diff, it has a pully that i can switch to a one way pully.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

wouldnt it push on power alot?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

why would it push on power, on power should be no different than normal, i thnik?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

wouldnt it be the same as tightening ur rear diff and doesnt that make the car extremely loose?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

If you used a oneway diff in the rear, then yes it would make the car understeer because it would basically be a locked diff under power.

But if you put a oneway pulley in the spur layshaft in a belt car, and many belt cars have these it wouldn't make any difference on power only off power
Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by odawg315
why would it push on power, on power should be no different than normal, i thnik?
wouldnt it be the same as a spool in the rear on power?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Mike, I know on the 415 the front one way will fit in the rear, it just needs some shimming and take the o-rings out of the cups for a little more clearance. I did not get a chance to try at the time due to no front diff. Let us know how it goes with the 414. Also Mike we are switching back on-road to sundays, just not sure when. Keep in touch so I can beat on you and John closer to home :P

With 4 wheels powering out of the corner I don't think there will be an issue with a push. If anything you would break a tire loose more often than not. *obligatory machismo* ..Or like a real man you'll just hang on to the throttle and pull it out *end obligatory machismo*
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

yes, as i thought about it more, it would lock up, this is were im at now.
Originally posted by fathead

But if you put a oneway pulley in the spur layshaft in a belt car, and many belt cars have these it wouldn't make any difference on power only off power
Old 04-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

yes mason, i spoke with tom, im gonna run b&b next weekend, and i think toms going sunday onroad the following week, and im there!

p.s. hope you feel better.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It might work.. Try it and let us know.. But with what i know about "real" cars they tend to push with lockers and a one way would work like that when on power(last time I checked not many people wanted a huge push exiting corners)That is what i would think would happen on exiting a corner,I'm not sure on how the car would rotate while in the corner..damm I'm going to think about this night now..
Old 04-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by odawg315
yeh, i am gonna try it in my 414, i dont even have to change the diff, it has a pully that i can switch to a one way pully.
Ok try it and when you'll have only FWD maybe you will realise a one way only work one way...
Old 04-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This was a trick we used a lot in the old off road days running Optima Mids - as they had interchangeable diffs.

On loose tracks it was superb, very stable under braking and good power down grip.

Not sure what it would be like in touring cars but I think it would be worth trying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.