Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Kyosho Touring Car >

Kyosho Touring Car

Kyosho Touring Car

Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seaball
the car is fitted, and ready to go. something i've noted is the amount of bump steer that the sd car has. bump in, that is. unfortunately, adding shims at the knuckle will only make the problem worse.
You've got quite an eye to spot the bump-in on the car!

While I agree that the geometry of the steering arms would lend itself to bump-in, the amount of bump-in you actually get through the few mm of usable suspension travel is imperceptible to me!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

tough to see on the bench, but not on the track. with 55mm foams, it's worse because the arms are pushed so far down to get r/h. i would estimate that theres about 2-3 mm needed at the hubs to get this minimized. i don't know how profound it is with rubber tires. with the tie rod as short as it is, it's probably close to being in the right spot with the larger rubber tires.

i'm sure it can be tuned out, but i wonder if i try first to eliminate it. we usually start with minimal bump, and go to bump out if anything.

Last edited by seaball; 08-30-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

What size spur gear does the Stallion come with?

Last edited by Tommy Bergfeldt; 08-30-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Seaball - perhaps you could try flipping the steering knuckles.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

yeah, i'll look at it tonight. i know there is way more material to thread into in the bottom of the knuckle. i'd hate to lose that by flipping them, but it may be the best option. the roll center changes quite a bit as well since the axle is offset vertically. i guess that will have to be compensated for at the chassis.

i'll get something figured out, even if its using xray balls which may be a mm shorter.

thanks.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I finished my build last night. Overall it went together very well. I just had to add shims to both the front and rear arms. I did notice that my steering post, saver side has a little bit of play in it. It wobbles back and forth, like the post isn't thick enough. Did anyone else notice this? I might not have gotten it together right.

I also have to go back and lenghten the shock shafts. I don't get enough droop/uptravel. I did like the quality of the shocks, very nice.

I thought the chassis was pretty flexable out of the box, so it would be better for rubber tires. I will be running it on carpet with rubber tires. If there was a thicker top deck I bet it would be pretty stiff for foams. Like the 05 xray with the stand offs.

Drive train is a little tight right now, but I bet it will loosen as I put some packs through it.

I really like the quality of the car, but we will see how the on track performance goes.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sparx
What size spur gear does the Stallion come with?

106t 64p

Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
yeah, i'll look at it tonight. i know there is way more material to thread into in the bottom of the knuckle. i'd hate to lose that by flipping them, but it may be the best option. the roll center changes quite a bit as well since the axle is offset vertically. i guess that will have to be compensated for at the chassis.

i'll get something figured out, even if its using xray balls which may be a mm shorter.

thanks.
Chris, you're running the shaft car? or the belt car?
Old 08-31-2006, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scrad
I finished my build last night. Overall it went together very well. I just had to add shims to both the front and rear arms. I did notice that my steering post, saver side has a little bit of play in it. It wobbles back and forth, like the post isn't thick enough. Did anyone else notice this? I might not have gotten it together right.
I've got a few thin shims on the steering posts to take out the vertical movement.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Default on the track - stock foam

blake, right now, i am running the shaft car.

i put 5 packs through it last night (carpet/foams) and it was really good. i had to change only two things from the setup that i guessed with. the car (relative to others with similar alignments) seems to have alot of steering, which is really good for this application. because of this, i dropped the rear roll center, and went to softer springs.

the car is pretty much on pace after these 5 packs. i duplicated the hot lap that i previously had with my control car, and the car finished on the same laps as well. very impressive.

the steering is a little sloppy, both from the slop in the ball ends, and on the shaft like scrad mentioned. other than that, i really see no problems or weak points. the bearings have that thick grease in them which could be removed, but the drivetrain seems pretty accurate/smooth with plastic outdrives. the car came in right around 50.5 oz, which is almost perfect for ROAR events (50). titanium screws could fix that.

notes:

a) two top decks used
b) tie rods mounted in upper holes on rack, with xray balls on top of knuckle

everything else set per the manual.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you will see that the transmission frees up considerably the more you run it, after 30 runs on the shaft version, it s really impressive..
Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Recently I noticed some serious backlash on my rear diff. I thought it was from the outdrives(steel) hitting the axle but it wasn't. Does this mean I need to shim the ring tighter against the pinion or do I need to replace the pinion because of wear?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

if the wear is not visible, you can still use the pinion, but most likely it will show signs of wear if you heard backlash.

In any case, shimming tighter will really help.. the instructions are right on in the number of shims for the transmission, maybe even a bit on the loose side once you ve broken it in.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Found some goodeis on the Kyosho Japan site...

http://210.253.122.57/jpn/products/rc/newparts.html translated at babelfish.altavista.com turns up these TF-5 parts...

No.LA212H
Carbon composite center mount & ステフナーセット
* For laser ZX-5
* For TF-5 ¥1,365
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.LAW33
Aluminum one-way boss
* For laser ZX-5
* For TF-5 ¥2,520
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.TF005H
Carbon composite suspension arm set
(F & R)
* For TF-5
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥840
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW001
Aluminum diff. shaft set
* For TF-5
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥2,520
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW001-01
C joint adapter
* For TF-5
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥315
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW101
Center one way
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥1,575
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW103
ローフリクションベルト
(447)
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥630
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW104
ローフリクションベルト
(222)
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥525
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW105
Belt tensioner -
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥1,260
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW106
Aluminum rear upper deck
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥2,205
(Including tax)
September sale schedule

No.TFW108
Aluminum spool shaft set
* For TF-5 star Lyon ¥3,150
(Including tax)
September sale schedule
Old 09-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Addict

wow !! excellent news.. seems like alum diff/blades and spool are showing up !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.