Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Tiger to buy Associated

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by DerekB
Who's relationship with Yokomo? AE hasn't had a relationship since they stopped being the Yokomo importer.

Not choosing sides here... but Reedy is a division of Associated.... and though they may design their motors in AMERICA.... at least a good part or most of their motors are built by Yokomo... in Japan.

Again, I am sure if or when this deal does go down (officially)... a lot of this will have been taken into consideration and I'm quite sure previous deals, partnerships, and contracts will be honored. In the event of some snags or problems, I'm sure they do have contingency plans in their back pockets to keep things flowing smoothly. I definitely see cross-branding of products for certain markets and regions especially if both companies do end up combining and focusing on their own strengths.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: another icon going down!

Originally posted by Wild Cherry
Go buy a GTO !!! Ha !
Go on, do it I have freinds who work in that factory here building them.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by STEALTH
Not choosing sides here... but Reedy is a division of Associated.... and though they may design their motors in AMERICA.... at least a good part or most of their motors are built by Yokomo... in Japan.

Again, I am sure if or when this deal does go down (officially)... a lot of this will have been taken into consideration and I'm quite sure previous deals, partnerships, and contracts will be honored. In the event of some snags or problems, I'm sure they do have contingency plans in their back pockets to keep things flowing smoothly. I definitely see cross-branding of products for certain markets and regions especially if both companies do end up combining and focusing on their own strengths.

So why would Yokomo care who it sells motors too? Yokomo doesn't sell or have the winning tradition of Reedy with motors. Masami ran Yokomo and Reedy. In terms of money there really isn't a dividing factor. AE was more of a competitor than TTR. AE had motors, TCs, and off-road electric. That never stopped selling probably the largest number of motors to Reedy.

This really all is specualtion and a little bit of drama in this post. I guess we all care more about RC than all the other stuff the asian countries own in this country.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jeffreylin
If you think the Japanese governmet subsidize Toyota and Honda you need to get a reality check. If you think that is why US cannot compete you need to get a refund for your MBA.
Please, you really need to do some more research on this topic. Nothing I said is a lie. I never said American could not compete but government funding doesn't help things. We all know that American Automobile manufactures have a lot of issues they need to resolve and they are as much to blame for their current condition as anyone.

[i]As for buying foreign products, I thought you have a TRF415. Last I checked Tamiya is Japanese. Or is it just cars we should buy American but everything else is okay? Isn't Chrysler a German company now? [/B]
I am not discouraging people or talking down to people that buy Japaneese RC Cars...besides that's not the argument of the discussion. The issue is an American Icon selling out and now being owned by a foreign company...regardless of which foreign company bought them.

[i]Oh yeah, and if you know the ONE SINGLE REASON why US economy is in a slump please call Alan Greenspan or President Bush and tell them how to fix it. [/B]
This comment is just plain funny!
Explain this though...when the ecomony was in the dumps...when it was at it's all time low...there was one thing that helped pull us out and make things, at least for the time being, a little better. That was when GM introduced incentives and 0% financing for their cars. Then the other OEM's followed suit. There is no arguing this fact...this simple action saved the US economy! Any finance person in any instution in any country will not argue this fact! When Americans, living in America purchase American cars, it helps the economy.

And yes, the US government is part of the problem!
Old 04-09-2005, 03:58 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by koabich
And yes, the US government is part of the problem!
The primary problem is that politics have become so partisan in the past 20 years that many of the steps that could be taken to fix things are blocked by the opposing party at every step. Politicians long ago stopped looking at the good of the country, and replaced that sentiment with the good of the party. Everything is all about strategizing for the next election. It is pretty pathetic.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by futureal

Anybody who believes that a company like Thunder Tiger would pay however much (15 million was quoted, but who knows) for a company like Associated and then knowingly dillute and cheapen the brand is out of their mind. TTR would make this purchase to strengthen their market share here, and that's it. If they suddenly replaced every AE product with something crappy (like so many of you have insinuated) they would be gaining nothing and losing their investment. They are obviously businesspeople, and I give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing.

... i agree, business is just business, TTR and AE just are entering this sale both with the intention of improving thier respective companies, in terms of proftability.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

So why would Yokomo care who it sells motors too? Yokomo doesn't sell or have the winning tradition of Reedy with motors. Masami ran Yokomo and Reedy. In terms of money there really isn't a dividing factor. AE was more of a competitor than TTR. AE had motors, TCs, and off-road electric. That never stopped selling probably the largest number of motors to Reedy.

That's my whole point Derek. Thunder Tiger won't mess with a good thing and I am sure Yokomo would like to continue the Reedy partnership no matter who "owns" Associated. The highly successful Reedy brand name is just too valuable to ALL parties involved.

This really all is specualtion and a little bit of drama in this post. I guess we all care more about RC than all the other stuff the asian countries own in this country. [/B]

Well, you can call it what you will.... speculation, good business sense, or just plain common sense. Thunder Tiger is a publicly listed company in Taiwan and I bet that if this acquisition does happen.... then it will be one of if not THE biggest deal in it's 30+ year history. At the very least it will be the transaction with the highest profile for the company. Furthermore, to be successful enough to grow your company and then BUY a World Class company like Associated Electrics means you gotta be doing something right in the industry. So yeah... I guess it's got a touch of personal speculation... but I'd rather call it just simple educated deduction.

Great Mag by the way!
Old 04-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

Ok I just read every damned post here, I am in Australia and getting AE stuff here sucks rox distribution network HAH the GTO is a rebadged monaro which was desinged here and based on a "stolen" design used for the holden commodoor but anyway back on topic

I chose AE because I wanted a shaft driven vehicle that wasn't kyosho I am the type of person who doesnt like to "follow the crowd" so I imported a ntc3 (I am aware this is the electric forum so dont point that out ok) and I bought it based on the reputation of the company and their past performance with their cars, I really like this car and here I get "what the hell is that" quite a bit as I bought a rtr it is thunder tiger powered who by the way also doesnt import jack squat to this country. I am concerned that the spares for this car in which I have just invested will be impossible (moreso) to get parts for, another reason I bought it is because it wasnt a "cookie cut" out-of-japan type rc vehicle, (I'd prefer to beat them with a "us" design) I dont know if anybody else has noticed this or not but most of the stuff that originates from that area is similar in design and the like.

I concede that in the USA I speculate that AE cars/spares and the like would be commonplace but this is most definetely not the case here I have had a few people in hobbyshops not know what AE means, their market penetration here sucks rox and there is much room for improvement.

my major concern with this merger is will the quality fade? fair enough tt have put up some megabucks to buy AE but there is the chance that even with the best of intentions quality may be reduced.

I am trying to distance myself fro the debates on "patriotism" and the like, and offer an opinion from a completely different viewpoint.

if you read the entire post without going of half cocked with an answer I thankyou for your time. (I really did try to keep it as short as possible)
Old 04-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

Default Jeez

Let's try to look at the positive side.With TTR's money involved maybe ASSOC,can focus more on it's racing side.Kind of like become The R and D part of TTR.This can only BENEFIT us racers.Why is it everybody want's to so nuch look at the dark side of things?And complain.Just a thought,Mario.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by koabich
DerekB
I hate to say it but the simple act of TT (a foreign company)purchasing AE has automatically ruined years of marketing and brand image.
There are a lot of people out there, me included, that have purchased AE or Losi cars for the simple fact that they are made in America.

I think the argument that AE being bought by a foreign company is being taken a little too far by some...after all this is a small RC company and not a company such as Ford or General Motors, but I can see the interest in a heated debate for the simple fact that AE was a top notch American company (and not to mention the simple fact that TT buying AE insures that any American manufacting in AE kits will now be lost to those overseas). They were a leader in RC for many years and they are, IMO, the reason why RC is the way it is today. I mean, honestly, all kits were toys until the RC10 came out and AE has been been pushing the RC envelope ever since. It's a heart breaker for me because I always owned and ran AE products because I was proud to be an American running American stuff.

This is a heated debate for the simple fact that I feel it'ss being related to the US automotive industry where it's acts such as this (foreign companies purchasing good american ones) and people buying asian cars that has the US ecomony hurting as badly as it currently is. hy so many American's have lost jobs.

Jason from BMI and several others are spot on. American companies rely on one thing to remain open and to operate...PROFIT! Asian companies (Honda, Toyota...and countless others) are all funded by their government. The government pays for their quality control, the governemtn pay's for their R&D, if Honda looses money when they sell a car, guess what, the Japaneese government makes up for the difference...the government pay's for this and that. It also helps that the foreign companies do not have to deal with the UAW (yes I said it....ban me/flame me now) and extremely high labor costs. Why do you think the Japaneese build automoticve plants in the US? Because they can build cars in the US MUCH CHEAPER than American Automotive companies can and the Amercian people are the tyoe to believe that if a car is built in the US then it must be American. There are people, even many who read this, that think their Honda or Toyota is American...that's too funny.

There are just too many unfair advantages that foreign companies have over US companies.

I will end my rant with this message:

Buy all the foreign RC stuff you want, but please buy American cars!!
It's soo funny that all this Pseudo patriotic bullshit was started by a guy out of the Detroit area. I lived in the US for 8 years until very recently and I worked a lot with the so called automotive industry in Detroit.
Here is what I think:
You guys are building crappy cars with substandard quality and outdated technology AND you know it . (at least the ones who haven't been brainwashed by UAW)
You also know that there are plenty of competitors from Asia and Europe who do a much better job, but your only response is uneducated babbling about cheap labor and government support for those competitors. If you had the slightest clue, you'd know that compared to Japan and Germany, the US are a CHEAP LABOR COUNTRY.

Instead of improving your bad products you are calling upon your government to protect you from those evil competitors with high import taxes. (well, it worked for Harley with their dinosaurs in the 80's, so why shouldn't it work for you, right?)

Have you ever asked yourself why the Detroit's exports are neglectable?
Because no-one else in the world wants to drive American cars.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Who's relationship with Yokomo? AE hasn't had a relationship since they stopped being the Yokomo importer.
Isn't Yokomo still AE's importer for Japan?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Default BTW

With all this ranting about the foreign governments helping out their companies with this and that.We have that here.Isn't that what our president is doing?Oh wait,He's helping send America overseas for short term profit and greed.Sorry lost my common sense for a moment.Mario.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Wild Cherry
USA flag is on the MOON ! >>>STILL !!!!

USA !!! USA !!!

Japan will need a do whole lot more , just to top that !!

Geez`ssss !!!
Have you personally seen this flag?

I saw that piece on Discovery Channel about the faked Moonlanding and after all I saw in the US, I'm very much convinced that it is true.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: BTW

Originally posted by lotus1
With all this ranting about the foreign governments helping out their companies with this and that.We have that here.Isn't that what our president is doing?Oh wait,He's helping send America overseas for short term profit and greed.Sorry lost my common sense for a moment.Mario.
No, I think you just found your common sense, but lost your political correctness for a moment there
Old 04-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by stefan
It's soo funny that all this Pseudo patriotic bullshit was started by a guy out of the Detroit area. I lived in the US for 8 years until very recently and I worked a lot with the so called automotive industry in Detroit.
Here is what I think:
You guys are building crappy cars with substandard quality and outdated technology AND you know it . (at least the ones who haven't been brainwashed by UAW)
You also know that there are plenty of competitors from Asia and Europe who do a much better job, but your only response is uneducated babbling about cheap labor and government support for those competitors. If you had the slightest clue, you'd know that compared to Japan and Germany, the US are a CHEAP LABOR COUNTRY.

Instead of improving your bad products you are calling upon your government to protect you from those evil competitors with high import taxes. (well, it worked for Harley with their dinosaurs in the 80's, so why shouldn't it work for you, right?)

Have you ever asked yourself why the Detroit's exports are neglectable?
Because no-one else in the world wants to drive American cars.
Thank you. The truth hurts but it's the truth. Lots of people in the US has a sense of entitlement. The US was just about best in everything before but other countries has caught on, and many are catching up. Here is a guy who claims he has an MBA but thinks Honda and Toyata is subsidized by the Japanese government and that's why US car makers can't compete. If an MBA in the US think this way you got to be worried about most of the rest who never went to college.

But I think the important point is this, that we have become a country of whiners and hypocrites. Instead of trying to make better products to compete we just complain that this and that are not fair. Well nothing is fair and US has the most unfair advantage--the largest market in the world. Meanwhile, the flag waving patriotic American chants "buy American" but turns around and shop in Walmart for goods made anywhere but the US. GM used to be the biggest company in the US and the world but it's Walmart today. Instead of asking why/how we can get back on track and actually do something about it we whine. Then we blame everyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.