Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Because of the "motor protector bar" the range of movement back and forth of the brushless motor is more limited than brushed. Anyone have any idea what would be the max number of teeth for a brushless motor to fit? Right now I am on 90/44 for 64 pitch, and the motor is somewhere in the middle.

Is a bigger spur/pinion # better, as the "angle" between teeth is less acute?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had no problems with fitment using a Novak 13.5 SS bl motor with 90t spur & 51t pinion, all 64 pitch.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stocker
Because of the "motor protector bar" the range of movement back and forth of the brushless motor is more limited than brushed. Anyone have any idea what would be the max number of teeth for a brushless motor to fit? Right now I am on 90/44 for 64 pitch, and the motor is somewhere in the middle.

Is a bigger spur/pinion # better, as the "angle" between teeth is less acute?
I used 48p, 69T xenon spurs and 31 Kawada pinion it gives me 4.5 something FDR i use GTB fit without any problems
Old 12-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RielTime Racing
Tip: Tamiya's 70t spur diameter size is the equvilant to a 93t 64 pitch diameter spur. The biggest Spur I've run in my TA05 is 104 64p anything really bigger is going to hang out the bottom of the chassis.

From what I understand a 13.5 brushless motor is supposed to be about the same as a 27t brushed stock motor.
I've run up to a 108 without it protruding from the bottom of the chassis. Also you are incorrect in your assumption that 13.5 is = to a 27T stock. That would be a 17.5. A 13.5 is closer to a 19T.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I've run up to a 108 without it protruding from the bottom of the chassis. Also you are incorrect in your assumption that 13.5 is = to a 27T stock. That would be a 17.5. A 13.5 is closer to a 19T.
That's cool. I thought a 10.5 brushless was equal to 19 turn brushed.

I haven't been at the RC thing for very long, but am a quick learner.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guy's. Im new to on road cars and have just recently built the Tamiya Ta-05 IFS , which i think is a great car in my opinion. I had a few practice laps on the track that i plan on racing at. My only concern was how the car handled coming out of the corners. The car likes to slide out into a 180 degree spin. I was running an 11T cobalt 2 which i plan on switching to something a lil more mild. Is my problem with the car sliding out have to do with too much power or should i change my settings for the track. I plan on making this car capable of hanging with some of the higher ends sedans, because i believe it has the ability to do so. Im sure there are some set ups through out the thread but if somebody would like to reiterate a few things i would greatly appreciate it as always. Thanks. A.J.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

It's all about set up!
If you use the factory setting the car has tendency to be little loose in the rear with some understeer.
Fun for bashing but not for racing....
There are several set-up's on this thread as well as at least one on the Tamiya website that I know of. But remember those are someone's personal settings & may not suite your personal driving style.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedKills25
Hey guy's. Im new to on road cars and have just recently built the Tamiya Ta-05 IFS , which i think is a great car in my opinion. I had a few practice laps on the track that i plan on racing at. My only concern was how the car handled coming out of the corners. The car likes to slide out into a 180 degree spin. I was running an 11T cobalt 2 which i plan on switching to something a lil more mild. Is my problem with the car sliding out have to do with too much power or should i change my settings for the track. I plan on making this car capable of hanging with some of the higher ends sedans, because i believe it has the ability to do so. Im sure there are some set ups through out the thread but if somebody would like to reiterate a few things i would greatly appreciate it as always. Thanks. A.J.
Are you running original tires? If so, try racing tires, they will give your much better grip. you might also want to try a little lower gear ratio(bigger pinion), higher ratio gives the car more torque when you turn on the gas, then the car will spin if the car doesn't have enough grip. If spin only happened on left turn for example, you need to check some mechanical parts like drive shaft, hub or wheel alignment.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

if you have a ball diff on your rear, try loosening them up a lil bit.

there's a thread for the IFS btw..
Old 12-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Tech Adept

Hey thanks a lot once again from all you guys with your helpful information. I think eventually i will have the car tweaked correctly for the track i plan on running on. One thing that i noticed tonite while tinkering with my car is that while having the trigger squeezed and the wheel turned all the way to either the right or left, i am getting an awful sound. Has anyone experienced this. The whole front steering unit along with the suspension arms vibrate quite violently. I hope to sort this problem out before i go to the track and embarass myself for the first time. Any suggestions guys? Thanks. A.J.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Hey thanks a lot once again from all you guys with your helpful information. I think eventually i will have the car tweaked correctly for the track i plan on running on. One thing that i noticed tonite while tinkering with my car is that while having the trigger squeezed and the wheel turned all the way to either the right or left, i am getting an awful sound. Has anyone experienced this. The whole front steering unit along with the suspension arms vibrate quite violently. I hope to sort this problem out before i go to the track and embarass myself for the first time. Any suggestions guys? Thanks. A.J.
Is yours a standard IFS? The problem in that case is the driveshafts - get the UJ's.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
Is yours a standard IFS? The problem in that case is the driveshafts - get the UJ's.
Yeah my car is the IFS version which is bone stock at the moment. I dont plan on hopping it up excessively but i will get the parts that i need in order to compete. I dont wanna get embarassed out on the track with some stupid problem. This will be my first time getting into any type of racing. I mainly bash but i figured i would give the on road scene a try for the winter. Any suggestions for necessary hop ups? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I thought a 13.5 is like a 23T? 10.5 is like 19T?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:16 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is a difference between whats been approved as equivalents and what a lot of people believe the equivalents to be.

This formula works for me though...

Brushed Turns / 2 = x
x + 2 = Equivalent Brushless Wind

27T - (27/2)+2 = 15 (15.5T)
23T - (23/2)+2 = 13.5 (13.5T
19T - (19/2)+2 = 11.5 (10.5T)
15T - (15/2)+2 = 9 (9.5T)
07T - (7/2)+2 = 5.5 (5.5T)

But in terms of what has been approved..

27T = 17.5T ... some say these are too slow compared to brushed, probably because a 15.5T brushless would be more suited
19T = 10.5T

Just my 2 cents :P

-Mark
Old 12-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would start with taking some droop out of the front. Also look online for a pro driver setup and copy it to your setup then you should be real close maybe just some fine tuning for your track and your set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.