Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdougie
Im just curious. Do you have experience with both, or are you just speculating that a car you can get for under $250 can't hang with cars costing $400 and up? Im getting ready to sell my Jrxs-r to get a TA05R-IFs just to show that it can be done.
I agree, my car is pretty good just the driver needs to be dialed in . IMO, i wouldn't say that a cheaper car can't hang with a expensive car unless your planning on running MOD. then i would have to say your more correct in this aspect. there are plenty guys running all high end cars and i'm just about as fast as they are with 05. So not sure.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdougie
Im just curious. Do you have experience with both, or are you just speculating that a car you can get for under $250 can't hang with cars costing $400 and up? Im getting ready to sell my Jrxs-r to get a TA05R-IFs just to show that it can be done.
I've just finsihed a club race with my 1.5 years old badly tweaked TA05R, right behind a fast Mi3 and fast Phi...and I am 1 lap behind them.
I am extremely happy about my TA05R, for $200, this car can hang with $400 plus cars, indoor carpet and outdoor asphault. I am mainly using this car for 13.5 but I have run this car with 4.5 on a 1/8th track and has ZERO problem of it.

So...getting the IFS and run with the big gun is absolutely do-able. It is all about setting, tires, skill...all together. But if running with the same driver, TUB is always a TUB...they tweak VERY VERY bad easily. My tub is like tweaked in 4 different direction that I can no longer do a correct ride height unless I invest $70 for the carbon material tub option. Since I am using this car for outdoor clubracing, I don't care much about those detail and just concentrate on the tires, motor, esc and driving skill...

416 is always 416, just like all the top of the line chassis...just like my Mi3 and E4RS, they are better then my TA05R, however, depends on WHERE I am racing the TA05R, that "BETTER" can be very very slim sometimes.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

For me, the TA05R was always a very stable and consistent car. And great value.

That stability was a blessing and a curse though - some days when the grip was low it made getting a good result easy. Other days when the grip came up I was left searching for a bit more steering and corner speed that I could never find.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cannon
The IFS is a novelty car to allow you to run very low bodies. If you want to race Tamiya competitively there is only one choice ... the 416
It depends on your circuit and engine types. Use a 416 for Mod class and fast circuits, but if you run on small technical circuits or with stock / 19t the ta05MS is better as you have more bite when you turn in.

The IFS-R is a great club level car, the IFS isnt really exploited fully (TTech preditor dtms has full inline front and rear suspension) but its certainly not a novelty.

Last edited by Qatmix; 07-10-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skitee
Depending on the type of drift tires you're using ofcourse...

You could possibly use the same FDR on both surfaces, however if your drift tires are generating some grip on the asphalt then you'll want to run a higher FDR(HIGHER NUMBER) by using a slightly smaller pinion which will allow the drivetrain to spool up faster and break traction more easily.
What FDR would be recommended to start with a silver can or sports tune?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Default which chassis upgrade

My spare ta05 suffered a major accident and the tub chassis is ruined. So I', thinking of replacing it with two deck up one.

So, which one is the best? (I race indoors on Carpet 19t, so stiff is good)

It seems there are quite alot of them

Xenon
Tech Racing
kawada
Penguin
Flap
Crest Racing (saddle pack)
3 racing V1
3 racing V2

what is the difference between the two versions of the 3 racing chassis?

also if someone has a used on they want to sell PM me.

Cheers

Last edited by Qatmix; 07-12-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi Quatmix, I am wondering the same thing. But add Square to the list, as they have a conversion too, haha!

Here is a review on the (I believe) first version of the 3 racing chassis. Albeit it is a review from a drifter, you'll get an idea of the chassis, as it is still very in depth.

http://www.drccentral.com/old/ta05review.html

I don't know anything about the other conversions, so sorry I can't help there. I just remember reading that review, so hopefully it will help you out
Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
My spare ta05 suffered a major accident and the tub chassis is ruined. So I', thinking of replacing it with two deck up one.

Xenon
Tech Racing
kawada
Penguin
Flap
3 racing V1
3 racing V2

Cheers

Hi,

I recently put a Xenon chassis on my TA05R and I was quite impressed with it. The finish seems to be as good as Tamiya and it retains all of the regular 05 parts unlinke the 3racing or tech kits. I have heard however that the 3racing chassis is good for carpet as it nice and stiff (thick carbon). I run outdoor on rubber tyres and have tried both the 3 racing and Xenon on a 05R. I felt the Xenon was better for me but I guess it up to personal taste and track condition.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Qatmix

Xenon
Tech Racing
kawada
Penguin
Flap
3 racing V1
3 racing V2

Cheers
I race the V1 Graphite 3Racing chassis with matching shock towers. Had the car 1.5/2 years now. Very good indoors on high bite/foam but has no or very little flex for outdoor tracks, so the car pushes quite badly. You really need to keep an eye on the weight too if you have a weight limit in your racing.

It's a good price and very durable, but probably discontinued now the V2 is out.

The V2 has the cell slots machined closer to the centreline of the chassis (makes the cars steering sharper afaik) V2 chassis also comes with a custom 3racing layshaft (V1 didn't).

No complaints with mine, and 3degrees rear toe in and a spool gives LOADS of steering. so much that sometimes you need to dial some out on the transmitter. (Sorex 24/lower shore rating foams).

Mine feels good with TRF shocks indoors with 3 hole pistons, hasn't tweaked either as both the top and the lower chassis is 3mm.

Very capable club level car imho...
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Looking for diff sheilds for my 3 ta05 sedans. can anyone hook me up with any ideas or part numbers. thanks guys.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by touringdriver
Looking for diff sheilds for my 3 ta05 sedans. can anyone hook me up with any ideas or part numbers. thanks guys.
For my TRF415MSXX I found an old Protoform (might have been HPI) window mask offcuts which, ideally were blue to match the alloy parts

I measured the nessesary differential circumference then cut some circles out, but then the middles too, obviously to allow the outdrives to slip over it.

If you look close enough, you might see it in this picture

Failing that, JAAD sell differential covers for 35t differentials. I think these would fit the '05....

something here should fit, check out the spec's of each I guess... You'll have a part number if nothing else...

http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/adva...8cf66943768cc3

hth
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

ok, i need just a little more help from you knownlegde kings out there. The car is pretty dialed in right now. But could use just a little more on power turning. suggestions?????

also, what motor do you guys run for 13.5?

Last edited by loriding69; 07-18-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by loriding69
ok, i need just a little more help from you knownlegde kings out there. The car is pretty dialed in right now. But could use just a little more on power turning. suggestions?????

also, what motor do you guys run for 13.5?
Bump
Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am not a club racer, but I do know a little bit about tuning:

Try some toe out in the front, and get rid of any toe in you might have. I would imagine that the softer springs are in the front, the more mechanical grip you'd get, so try lessening the spring rates slightly in the front. Do you have the TRF dampers?

Hey guys I just got a TA-05 used. However the lower arms have A LOT (1cm) of movement front and back along the hingepin... is this normal?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1cm? Or did you mean 1mm? Huge difference between the two.

1mm isn't much, just shim it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.