Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Anyone know the price of teh Mercedes TA05? In yen please.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
I can count only 5 not switched to Ti.... the one outer servo mount screw (screw needs a very low-profile head, like the one included), two motor screws, and the two diff screws, but you can't really replace those anyway, so really only 3...
I didn't buy complete Ti screw set, I used my old Ti screws so there are 7 left for me (3 you said, and 4 for center pulley cover).
Old 07-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fire929
What is the part # for the shims you used on the pulley that were 0.3mm
I bought Kyosho shim set for those, but I believe TAMIYA #53586 4mm shim set also work.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Heh.. dunno, just depends.. I could probably slip another .1 in there for fine tuning, but the .3's on both sides make the most difference either way. Even when it comes to shimming axles, you'd expect the same mm to shim on each axle, but you'd be surprised.. consistency of making the parts can make a difference.
Ya, all those glass fiber reinforced plastic not necessary always in the same spec. So you might see 0.1mm more here or 0.1mm more there. Not a big deal. Just shim based on your car and make sure you leave a very tiny play left so it will rotate freely.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the "review" ttso, makes me really looking forward to building my TA-05.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Typhoon day today (and it's a huge one, 99% no work tomorrow), had my roll bar installed. I found it's a bit inconvenience to use TA05 front roll bar, so I just use my old TRF415 rear roll bar, which is the same with TA05 rear roll bar, on front. Just made a small bend on it to make it narrower, and it fit very well.

I'm studying on making my own spool, the diff's bearing-to-bearing width is 17.5mm (TRF415 front one-way is 20mm, rear diff is 23mm). I keep you guy posted if I got it done.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-dscn4826s.jpg  
Old 07-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

What pinion/ratio did you use for it?
Motor is Orion Element V2 19T (Green), Gear ration = 70 spur, 24 pinion.

Track is RCI speedway, a fairly high speed layout with quite tight infields.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

First off I wanna thank everyone that has been helpin out and showing pictures on the TA05. My total has come up to around 65843 yen. Ah, as for paypal charge and shipping can anyone give me like a price quote? What is pay pal charge? And yes I do have a pay pal account and I thought it was free?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Spool....

I got my handmade spool finished. It was based on Yokomo MR4TC (the old belt) rear diff. Basically I just sand down the inside face of both diff all the way until bearing-to-bearing width down to 16.8mm, than put 0.7mm shim on right side to provide enough free room for pulley. If you did the perfect bearing-to-bearing width 17.5mm, you will find pulley in fact contact with upper bulkhead, so you need to narrow the spool a little bit more to move the pulley more center.

I didn't use any extra screw to secure the spool, only CA glue and original diff screw, so I'm not sure how long it will last. Also, the drive cup is very very short so only 48mm swing shaft will work.

The only problem so far: I'm using TRF415 black pulley, which is 35T, 1T smaller than TA05 white pulley. This will make spool rotate faster than rear (internal ration 2.187front vs 2.225rear), creating so sort of front over-drive. I know for foam tire it's possible to just use smaller tire on front, but for rubber tire I don't know what will happen to drive a front over-drived car with same tire diameter. Gotta find out next weekend. If it doesn't work, I can still go back to original front diff, or, replace rear pulley with TRF415 35T black pulley, moving the internal ration back to 2.187.

p.s. One of the photo I attached is comparison with TRF415 spool.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-dscn4831s.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-dscn4834s.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-dscn4835s.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-dscn4837s.jpg  
Old 07-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default shipping

My shipping cost from Champ. 5400 and my paypal charge was 1778. This was on a purchase of 25000. Still a good deal.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ttso
The only problem so far: I'm using TRF415 black pulley, which is 35T, 1T smaller than TA05 white pulley. This will make spool rotate faster than rear (internal ration 2.187front vs 2.225rear), creating so sort of front over-drive. I know for foam tire it's possible to just use smaller tire on front, but for rubber tire I don't know what will happen to drive a front over-drived car with same tire diameter. Gotta find out next weekend. If it doesn't work, I can still go back to original front diff, or, replace rear pulley with TRF415 35T black pulley, moving the internal ration back to 2.187.

p.s. One of the photo I attached is comparison with TRF415 spool.
Hi, ...a word of caution, if you're running the stock centre pulleys/Spool, the front overdrive wheels will be fighting the rear the minute you apply throttle, This will translate into drag on the drivetrain (You can see how much by removing the pinion and freecoasting the car.

On 1/8 on-road cars, they run rear overdrives with front one-ways i.e: in a straight line, the car is Rear wheel drive with the front free wheeling.
My experiences with them is that if the front wheels drives more than the rear, there is major drag on the drivetrain which causes damage to one-way bearings, snaps belts, etc until the front tires wear down.

In your case, please monitor your motor temp, (You dun wanna burn out your BL do you)
Old 07-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

OMG..... That means my shipping will probably reach the 100's... its more than double your order... God help me....
Old 07-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

hey ttso or jam-ehz can you guys post up pictures of the center pulley and the diffs with the modifications of the shims? Thanks!
Old 07-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ghostfit
Hi, ...a word of caution, if you're running the stock centre pulleys/Spool, the front overdrive wheels will be fighting the rear the minute you apply throttle, This will translate into drag on the drivetrain (You can see how much by removing the pinion and freecoasting the car.

On 1/8 on-road cars, they run rear overdrives with front one-ways i.e: in a straight line, the car is Rear wheel drive with the front free wheeling.
My experiences with them is that if the front wheels drives more than the rear, there is major drag on the drivetrain which causes damage to one-way bearings, snaps belts, etc until the front tires wear down.

In your case, please monitor your motor temp, (You dun wanna burn out your BL do you)
Hmm, maybe I should try black pulley on rear first to avoid the front over-drive, doesn't wanna destory my spool too quickly..
Old 07-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vi3tishduy
hey ttso or jam-ehz can you guys post up pictures of the center pulley and the diffs with the modifications of the shims? Thanks!
Doesn't need, it just like shim on shaft, nothing fancy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.