Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orion Vortex First Look

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by KerryG
look at IFMAR, they still don't recognize 1/10 scale electric buggies and how long have people been running those? About 5 years or so now?
Methinks you've got confused with another class here...
Old 08-25-2002, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

I want to see new technology as a good thing.

With advent of bl motors, I think the electric TC class will finally be comparable to Nitro counterparts.
Because we can have longer heats (10min or more) or maybe short endurance race of some sort.

Think about all the new possibilities bl motors would bring to the race.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I could care less what it'll do for a race or what Roar thinks of them. I just want one for a practice motor. More consistant practice with no wear or tear on your race motors. And expended run times! Thats all......... Still waiting for the results.......
Old 09-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Any new info from WildHobbies, Kerry???? Possibly some video? I have heard of lots of different tests with orion, Novak brushless systems, but haven't had a chance to seen it yet. Some people have been testing Novak's and Orion's in California, but I have only heard stories. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sosidge

Methinks you've got confused with another class here...
It does further the point, though - IFMAR isn't sanctioning all classes and neither is ROAR, but CLUBS are running what people are wanting to run. That's what really matters.

So, if 4 people at SoCal Raceway come up and want to run a brushless class (however the things work. . .) it'll get run.

But I, too, think it would make a kicka$$ practice motor. . .shoot I only start getting a line at 5 minutes. . .
Old 09-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I think a lot of ppl are missing the point Besercoe is trying to make. Orion couldn't care less if the BL motor doesn't get approved - as long as the thing sells!!! Having sanctioning from IFMAR or ROAR won't make a difference. When it comes down to it how many R/C cars even make it on the track? Tamiya isn't going to drop almost its entire line of cars just because it's not race competitive. Look at the Tamiya F201 - that car has been doing great business but do u see a class for it at a ROAR or IFMAR event? At the end of the day a product will sell if it works well (and the brushless appears to do just that) and if it's marketed well. Sanctioning won't make a difference. If it did, would Orion be wasting their time and money into the BL motor?
Old 09-27-2002, 07:35 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Fully agree with you veecee...manufacturers are here to make money.....winning championships is just a bonus.........
Old 09-27-2002, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

I agree veecee - that was my point.

It's the normal racer racing in his normal environment that buys most (probably?) of the RC stuff out there.

Then you've got the guys that want to play around in their street/parking lot.

And then you've got the sanctioned racing crowd. Shoot, I've only been to three sanctioned races EVER.

Anyway, I will be happy when their prices drop down to a fairly reasonable level. That's my only gripe with them now (and it's not really a gripe, just that I don't have the $$$$)