Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Are Tamiya's usually reliable? I've only had one from them and it was an MT from 2001. Only small things broke that were quick to replace and the engine lasted a good while.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Current setup no frills
TRF801Xt $199.99 + $60.00 for updated arms, and shafts.
New O'donnell ss 21. $120.00 (purchased in for sale section)
Used JP-4 pipe $35.00 (purchased in for sale section)
New Futaba 2PM $100.00 (Local hobby shop)
AKA soft I beams new $40.00 (purchased in for sale section)
Used starter box $20.00 (local hobby shop)
Dynamate glow starter $15.00 (Local hobby shop)
O'donnell 30% fuel $30.00 (Local hobby shop)
Servos Savox SC-1256TG X2 $150.00 (Internet)
Fuel bottle $5.00 (local hobby shop)

Last edited by Redxz; 11-11-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

I have a make shift track in my back yard for dirtbikes, and I have launched the 801xt off a five foot jump onto flat ground, and it doesn't flinch. I've cartwheeled it several times, and even clipped a pole with the front arm, and it just keeps going. I still have the stock arms on it, and keep thinking that one day I will need to but the updated arms on, but it just keeps going.
I have found it to be very durable, and it's supposed to be even more durable with the updated arms.

Best bang for the buck, what you won't get is a lot of support from locals, as not very many people run them. Parts have to be purchased on line at either Amain Hobbies, or Tamaya USA. I've gone through 1 gallon so far, and haven't broken any thing yet, and I mainly bash! Body is looking pretty bad.

Good thread on here with great setup info from Ryan Lutz, and others.
If you go the TRF801XT route, shoot me a PM, and I'll save you some time on tips/tricks, and setup.

From my findings on this forum when I was truggy shopping.
Might catch heat for this, but here goes.
801xt front arm breakage, but updated arms fix this.
Mugens are great, but prone to front arm breakage. No fix
Durango Prone to fuel tank cracking, and front hing pin holder breakage. A fix for the tank, but not for Hing pin brace yet.
Serpent rear bearing issues, but this has been solved in new kit.
Xray weak drive train.
Losi 8ight pretty solid.
RC8TCE pretty solid.
HB pretty solid, some rear hub breakage.

Have contiplated buying another truck for fun, but just haven't found the need.

Last edited by Redxz; 11-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah the part support kinda stinks. But it sounds like a wicked deal for a basher. I'm hoping my friend decides on the custom build but he is tough on decisions like these so I'll probably already be through a couple of gallons with my basher before he makes a definite decision on what he wants. Next time I see him I will show him this post and see what he takes from it.

All of this info is still good for myself since I will be saving my pennies for new radio equipment. After reading through the added features, I am a believer lol.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

I just noticed that list you compiled there. That definitely helps the decision making. Some Mugen kits really caught his eye but I knew nothing about their reliability. So we can put them back in the running I think, especially with other posts I've seen on the forums.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Mugen was my number one pick until I found the TRF801xt deal.
$199.99 its hard to beat for what you get. All other trucks are close to $400.00 more.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Isn't the Tamiya discontinued? If so good luck getting parts when the old stock is used up. And on the Radio the Airtronics mx3x is a good alternative to the m11x. It has the same technology but doesn't have all the bells and whistle's. I have been using one for a whole season now and it's been good. Cost under $200.00
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

TRF801XT not discontinued yet, and still selling for $660 on some sites.
Just not very popular.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redxz
TRF801XT not discontinued yet, and still selling for $660 on some sites.
Just not very popular.
Make sure that parts are available.

Lee
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

Comming from a motocross racer here, just get the Losi 8ight T RTR. If he is looking for that feeling that he used to get racing Motox then this is close and he will be hooked. With everything that comes with it you cant beat the price at all. If he does get hooked then price will go out the window if he can afford it LOL

Yes check local tracks and see what they are running, you dont want to get a car that there isnt a class for.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With a $600 truggy budget, I would talk your friend into buying everything used except for an engine. Lots of good .21 choices at $200 or less. That leaves $400 to buy the kit, radio, servos, tires, pipe, starter box, tools, batteries etc... It can be done but you're going to have to do your homework, have patience searching for the right deals, and a little luck.

One new racer who came out this year with an MT asked my fellow club members for similar advice on a race worthy truggy after watch them run. We all told him to buy a decent kit, servos, etc.... He picked up the HPI Trophy Truck on impulse due to the attractive price. After struggling for only 2 races he dumped it and bought a used Mugen MBX6T and M11 radio from other trustworthy club members, Nova P5, some Hitec 7955s, OFNA truggy box, etc.

The point of my story - 1/8 scale racing is very tuff on equipment. Buying used quality equipment is often 10x better than any low end RTR. If your friend wants to take 1/8th scale nitro serious - ask him to consider doubling his budget. He'll be much more likely to enjoy racing and stick with the hobby. If not, consider going with something 1/10th scale electric.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Rockstar- I have to say, the Losi 8ight T RTR is a kit that I have been pushing on him. We will see what he picks in the end. I told him about potentially getting a buggy instead to cut down costs (as mentioned above), so I gave him some websites to check out kits when he has spare time.

I hope soon I can get him to join the forums so he can absorb some knowledge about the different upgrades and requirements for competition. For now, I am the messenger lol.

He didn't go for the Tamiya because of the potential parts shortage. But I might pick one up myself as an extra basher/fun-racer if they still have them in stock come my Christmas bonus :-) I loved my Terra Crusher so I don't mind taking a chance with Tamiya. Especially if I can just upgrade parts that break along the way.

EDIT: KJA- Thank you for the words of wisdom. I just need to get him out to a track so he can either get the bug or realize that competition nitro RC might not be for him.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

potential parts shortage??
We're talking about Tamiya here, not Durango
Parts are plentiful online, and I've never had, or heard of a problem with parts availability.

Parts support problem online no, locally yes.

Its like a Pre MBX6TR, or Serpent 811t TE being on sale for $200 for a supposedly damaged box.

It's just a heck of a deal
You asked for a $600 race worthy package, and I answered

OK, I'm out, that was my last .02

Last edited by Redxz; 11-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redxz
potential parts shortage??
We're talking about Tamiya here, not Durango
The parts shortage issue for Durango was prior to Hobbico buying Team Durango. Now all TD parts are available through the Great Planes distribution network, which covers majority of hobby shops in the USA.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

One big plus with going for a Mugen 6T is you do not need to spend/waste money on making the truggy competitive with custom option bits, this gives you more cash for the other items you need to race.

A $600 budget will get a decent 2nd hand truggy and new motor, GO, Alpha etc but your going to need to spend at least that much again on radio, servos, battery and tyres, and as the guys have said buy the good stuff and you won't regret it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.