Wiki Posts
Search

New to parking lot racing, could really use some advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New to parking lot racing, could really use some advise

I started doing parking lot racing this year and now I am hooked. The "track" I run at is a strip malls parking lot. It is actually a fairly new lot that has a pretty decent surface on it. It is not very bumpy either, but it is a parking lot. I'm very new to onroad cars and my problem is I have no idea on the basics of setting up my onroad car. I am currently running a schumacher mi2, but I am looking for more basic setup advise rather than vehicle specific.

These are my main questions:

1- What effect does a stiffer chassis flex setup have over a softer flex setup, and what would work better for parking lots?

2- Tires. We are planning on running year round as long as the lot is not covered in ice. What are some good cold weather tires to try, and what effect does the degree of the tire have? Also, 24 or 26 mm tires?

3- What should I be adjusting to make the car stick to the track in the corners better?

The track is located in northern Nevada and we usually have pretty fair weather year round. Any advice you guy's can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ofnaman
I started doing parking lot racing this year and now I am hooked. The "track" I run at is a strip malls parking lot. It is actually a fairly new lot that has a pretty decent surface on it. It is not very bumpy either, but it is a parking lot. I'm very new to onroad cars and my problem is I have no idea on the basics of setting up my onroad car. I am currently running a schumacher mi2, but I am looking for more basic setup advise rather than vehicle specific.

These are my main questions:

1- What effect does a stiffer chassis flex setup have over a softer flex setup, and what would work better for parking lots?

2- Tires. We are planning on running year round as long as the lot is not covered in ice. What are some good cold weather tires to try, and what effect does the degree of the tire have? Also, 24 or 26 mm tires?

3- What should I be adjusting to make the car stick to the track in the corners better?

The track is located in northern Nevada and we usually have pretty fair weather year round. Any advice you guy's can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Check out this video for some setup help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNa6b...e=results_main
Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here you go:
http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/tc/print.htm
Print it out and take a copy with you to the track.

A stiffer chassis tends to have less grip then a softer flexing chassis.