Wiki Posts
Search

Which touring car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which touring car?

I'm looking for a touring car to race with, so i want to know which one is good
what scale is the most popular?(1/10 or 1/12)
I think a xxxs graphite plus is the best ive come upon, but what radio, servo, esc and motor should i get? It would be great if you could supply the price and where to get it

OH YEAH FIRST POST
Old 03-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

It's not going to be easy for people to answer unless you clue people into how much you are willing to spend.

One thing I have noticed on these boards is that people will tend to advise you to get top-of-the-line products. To be honest, I don't think that's a good move for beginners. Practice, practice, practice will be the key.

Put another way, any car from a major company should work. A TC3, TC4, XXX-S, Yokomo, etc. - all fine. One nice thing about Associate and Losi are all the parts you can get on eBay cheap.

I looked for products that I thought could last me for at least a year and allow me to be somewhat competitive. For me, that was a receiver and transmitter that cost about $125 (Airtronics MX-3), a $75 speed control (LRP 7.1) and $125 charger (Reedy). I'm guessing that a year from now all the hot products will have been replaced by new hot products.

Right now I'm out there buying good racers' old batteries. About $10-15 per pack for practice batteries and $20-25 for race batteries. I plan on driving stock for a while. I think these will suffice.

Remember - one bad crash per race will negate the best car, batteries and electronics you can buy.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

1/10th scale is the current big class...1/12th scale has its moments - but the touring car craze and chassis war is making it the biggest thing going right now

As far as the XXXS graphite plus being the best you've found - you might want to do a little more research...That chassis has been replaced by losi (JRXS) and has been known to have some fragile arms/hub carriers...

Not knocking the car, if that's the one you like, then by all means go for it...But whatever you do decide, make sure your local track have support parts for it...or else a broken arm may make for a short racing day
Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

now i probobly would go for the rtr sport version, which is much cheaper, and im all set to go
And for the races, i could always upgrade to a better motor when i can handle the car well

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by k_bojar
1/10th scale is the current big class...1/12th scale has its moments - but the touring car craze and chassis war is making it the biggest thing going right now

As far as the XXXS graphite plus being the best you've found - you might want to do a little more research...That chassis has been replaced by losi (JRXS) and has been known to have some fragile arms/hub carriers...

Not knocking the car, if that's the one you like, then by all means go for it...But whatever you do decide, make sure your local track have support parts for it...or else a broken arm may make for a short racing day

jrxs is not a replacement of XXX-S.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default New or Used

Because of the J-XRS comming out soon, there are a lot of XXX-S G+ being sold very cheap. CHeck here and on E-Bay there are some incredible bargains.

It is the equal of virtually any TC out there and parts availibility at local hobby shops is very high.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I left you a Private Message...
Old 03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

I don't know much about the jrxs. But the xxx-s will not be replaced by it. I would go for the xxx-s graphite. I 've had a xxx-s and it is a great car, and it's proven too. But then again the jrxs looks pretty good too. But the xxx-s+G is the best bang for your buck. As for electronics. The xr2i works great. And don't buy cheap batteries and a charger too. You'll find in a couple of months of racing you would really want to upgrade. For a chrger get the either the lrp comp. or the duratrax ice (i've got the ice and it is great!!, and it's the cheapest high end charger). As for batteries pro-match makes great batteries with good run time and punch. I use an lrp sport speedo works fine and it handles up to 14turns. Then all you have to get is a body (mazda6, caddy cts, alfa romeo, stratus).
Old 03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by axel
I don't know much about the jrxs. But the xxx-s will not be replaced by it. I would go for the xxx-s graphite. I 've had a xxx-s and it is a great car, and it's proven too. But then again the jrxs looks pretty good too.
JRX-S is the replacement of the XXX-Sg+

The HPI Pro4 and Yokomo SSG are the best "deals" in electric touring, without a doubt.

PS, that is a non-bias statement
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default If I was new to the hobby and

really thought I would like racing. I would get the following.

-XXX-S G+
-Rubberneck bumper w/Losi lexan upper brace
-Radio Futaba 3PM no servos.
-Motor/speed controll Novak Brushless Super Sport.
-Charger Duratrax Ice
-Batteries 3 packs of Fukuyama GP 3300 .170 batteries
-Good high speed KO servo.
-Get some good set up tools.
-XXX Main setup guide
-Integy discharge tray
-local tires for your track

Some hopup parts I would get later would be
Losi black belt kit, titanium screw set, titanium hinge pins, AE aluminum wheel hexes, Speed Tech low roll blocks (carpet) and shock towers.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Yeah i used to drive a xxx-s, but now i use a pro 4, it's a great car out of the box. But i recently upgraded to the BMI conversion.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Initiate

What's the difference between the JRXS and the XXXS? On the Losi web site they seemed to be considered two separate chassis systems. I was initially thinking that one was shaft and the other was belt drive but it appears that they are both belt drives. What is the distinction between the two?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

tc4 all the way!!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by tc4kid191
tc4 all the way!!
I'm currently having a love affair with my FK05...the car has instantly made me (and everyone else at my local track that has tried one) faster....the car accelerates well, transitions amazingly and is so nice and free....

The TC4 is a nice car...but any reason you'd recommend it other than "it's what you have?" I tried the TC4 and just had to make the move back to Xray.

To enter into touring if you're on a budget you may be well served to take a look at the used car market. Cut your teeth on the used rig then when you feel your ready take the step up to whatever kit catches your eye.

If I wanted a shaft TC I'd probably look at the Pro4, as HPI has good parts support and the drivetrain is nice and free out of the box...TC4 still needs work.

Belt cars seem to be all the rage right now with the FK05, RDX, Yokomo MR-4TCBD or whatever jumble of letters they call it, and JRXS if it ever ships (sorry guys...cheap shot I know)...but the previous generation of cars is still VERY competitive (XXXS-G+, Xray T1FK, etc)

RTR's are another way to get into the hobby, although you'll find that you still end up eventually upgrading all the RTR parts so you soon end up costing more than the full kit versions...but you can do it a little at a time if you are on a budget.

Typically a RTR needs new tires and a new motor to suit your local race classes. From there you need to add a better servo as your skills improve, possibly upgrade to an FM radio if your area is prone to glitches or if you expand your rc collection. Possibly upgrade your ESC (heard mixed reports on the RTR offereings) and replace the flexible RTR parts as they break with stiffer components for racing...
Old 04-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

i had the xray...it just wasnt the car for me...part support, maintnace, and my driving...Thats when i got the tc4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.