Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Got to say, this is my first post on the Xray thread and I'm suprised to hear the striping gears is still a problem. Although never owning an xray the gears problem seems legendary. I thought the 2015 version was supposed to have addressed these issues. I was considering a brand change but not so sure.

As for the video of Malin at the worlds. (what a talent) Is there a problem with her car? When she hits the straight, the furthest side of the track, I can hear the gears screaming over all the other cars on the track.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

There are 2 main problems.
1. Internet has given a minority a loud voice
2. "Tall poppy syndrome" - not sure if people have that saying outside of Australia.

Xray products are held in such high regard that everyone expects perfection, so if there is a minor issue it gets totally blown out of proportion.
All the rival manufacturers have their issues too, usually a lot worse, but they never seem to get the criticism of Xray.

It's the same with the criticism Xray always receives about the yearly updates. Many companies do the same, some even more often, but, lets single out Xray again (tall poppy syndrome once again)
Xray can keep up to date, on top of their game. Or they can be like some who wait so long to update their cars that people either stop buying that car or they need to spend a fortune with aftermarket companies to bring the car up to date.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HSV427
Again another sponsored driver is trying to tell me its my fault the gear strips, for every one person that doesn't have the gear failure theres 100 that do, the problem is so bad X-ray can't even keep up with the demand, gears and front drive shafts seem to be out of stock all around the world all of the time and your trying to tell me theres no problem and that me and the other hundreds of X-ray owners are wrong and your right. STOP DREAMING of course you can't admit theres a problem cause if you do there goes your sponsor ship.
I never said it was you fault. If anything, I was asking you, why am I not breaking any?

I think you might be the Dreamer because you believe the world is a perfect place. Xray have receive a few email from me over the years. Some negative, some positive. I don't post everything on the forums just to prove who is right and who is wrong.

Sorry but my sponsorship is safe, because Ari and I are friends. Facebook says so.

Quote from you "for every one person that doesn't have the gear failure theres 100 that do". Did you do a survey or just make this figure up.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ive raced my 15 for about 8 race meetings and never had a problem or stripped
the gears , after every 2nd meeting i would pull the diffs out and apply grease to them.
I did notice however after the first time i ran the buggy when i pulled the diffs out to top up the diff fluids (because they seem to absorb diff oil the first time you use them )my pinion gear was only touching the bevel gear to about half way.
so i shimmed the pinion gear forward a fraction .
hope that helps some of you out there .
Old 10-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Question about camber and toe out adjustments. When I do a toe out adjustment my camber change an when I correct the camber my toe out changes it feels like i am chasing these two adjustment. I am using the Hudy system to make these changes. does it matter which one I adjust first??
Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HulkNT1
Question about camber and toe out adjustments. When I do a toe out adjustment my camber change an when I correct the camber my toe out changes it feels like i am chasing these two adjustment. I am using the Hudy system to make these changes. does it matter which one I adjust first??
Are you adjusting with the car turned on? That is a must. Set camber first then adjust toe. Camber affects toe.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Piles
Got to say, this is my first post on the Xray thread and I'm suprised to hear the striping gears is still a problem. Although never owning an xray the gears problem seems legendary. I thought the 2015 version was supposed to have addressed these issues. I was considering a brand change but not so sure.

As for the video of Malin at the worlds. (what a talent) Is there a problem with her car? When she hits the straight, the furthest side of the track, I can hear the gears screaming over all the other cars on the track.
Her XB4 was awesome at the Worlds

What you hear is the boost/turbo function of the ORCA VX3/RX3 combination

Sounds really cool in real life

When properly maintained and adjusted there are no problems with the gears at all.

Bent
Old 10-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HulkNT1
Always do adjustments with the radio/steering servo turned on to make sure it centers. And also have the chassis resting on the 20mm chassis blocks to make sure the chassis keeps level and always at the same height.

I always set camber first, set toe, recheck camber, recheck toe if I had to do a small adjustment to camber.

Only takes a couple of minutes all together

Bent
Old 10-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

The people who are lucky enough to not suffer gear stripping problems are you running mod or stock? Not sure if its coincidence but i have not had one fail in my stock xb4 and its over a year old. Also let me say again the gear problem to me is a small price to pay for a car that to me is almost perfect, i will always run and support XRAY and again replacing a $10 part every now and then is a small price to pay compared to those people who own buggies that can't even finish a race with out breaking.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

The people who are lucky enough to not suffer gear stripping problems are you running mod or stock? Not sure if its coincidence but i have not had one fail in my stock xb4 and its over a year old. Also let me say again the gear problem to me is a small price to pay for a car that to me is almost perfect, i will always run and support XRAY and again replacing a $10 part every now and then is a small price to pay compared to those people who own buggies that can't even finish a race with out breaking.
Tekin 6.5 with boost, on a fairly bumpy astro turf track with the grip level of velcro, no issues running the steel gears all year & I wouldn't say my slipper is super loose either.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

all steel gears and center gear diff, no issues as of yet. Running a Trinity D4 6.5
Old 10-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I ran the 15 car before the srx4 came out. I never broke anything on the car. Probably only 5 races thou.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have been running the '14 with a 6.5 for over a year now with the composite gears on turf and I still have not had a problem. I just looked at them yesterday and they are very mildly worn. I run my slipper fairly tight too...only slips when I'm stuck against a pipe etc...
Old 10-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I run a 7.5t boosted (composite gear).

The driver having issues is running a 17.5t (steel gears). I did notice he had screwed the slipper nut all the way up a few weeks ago. He also has a lot of rounded screw heads on his car. Something for me to check next time. He has broken one steel gear 14t. Busted 2 teeth off. He put a new one in and on the next run the diff gear broke. He has the habit of not backing off when he looks like crashing and he uses the 1/8th nitro method of pin the throttle and it will flip back onto it's wheels.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I will say that I had gear stripping issues with my 14 car. Slipper was run pretty loose and I replaced both front and rear bulkheads as well as the gears. Front I believe still did it. Fast forward to my 15 car and I've not had one issue. Built the car from scratch and have a full outdoor season and change and no issues with gears at all. Car still runs great. Not sure what the issue with my 14 was but I sold the car after I rebuilt them the last time. Very happy with the 15 car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.