Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norse
Littlezen,

Likewise on your shock set up my friend as mine is the exact same. However I run saddles just because I have a bunch. My diff weight is different being 8k/200k/5k but I am going up to 8k rear as I have heard the equal F&R diff weight at 8k works excellent. Probably going to bump up the C diff weight as 200k does work excellent on outdoor hard packed dirt but tends to not have enough snap on higher bite tracks. Thus is a pain unless I buy another C diff.

Any thoughts on the slipper as I have yet to try it on my 15.

Thanks Brother

+1 on whom ever brought up the Durango up travel limiters as they do work better than o-rings.
The slipper was definitely snappier and was probably faster. The center diff took the edge off and made it easier to drive even with 500k.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So, we had our club race Thursday, and my traction issue has more or less been solved. First off, there were a lot of guys on this thread who had ideas on how to help me, thanks very much! They were all fairly different, so I thought I'd change as little as possible to start off, to see if it was a simple tune or if a whole sale change in set up was needed. To be fair, the temperature outside was a lot warmer than the previous weeks racing, which helped immensely with traction overall. As for my set up, I ended up going from 500k to 100k in the center diff, this helped tame the power and the rear from getting out of control going straight, and lessened the front feeling like it was pulling the car around the track, but it did not add traction coming out of corners or sweepers. I added 3 dot front springs. This helped a bit more, but the rear still slid around. I then checked my buddy's B44.3 diffs at the advice of another and his were super free, so I pulled out my 8k front, refilled it with 3k and put it in the back, and moved the 5k rear diff now to the front, eureka. Now, it is a little wee bit sluggish probably due to the 100k center diff, but when my 200k arrives I'll try that. I have a better handling buggy now, but I could still use a bit more talent!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hello I am just starting to put together the xb4 2015 and the differential on step 1 is totally binded up and will not spin freely could I have gotten bad outdrives? Or could it be the bushing?

*** fixed just needed to hammer in the bushing a bit more***
Old 05-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Willie Mann
Hello I am just starting to put together the xb4 2015 and the differential on step 1 is totally binded up and will not spin freely could I have gotten bad outdrives? Or could it be the bushing?

*** fixed just needed to hammer in the bushing a bit more***
Mine did not require any hammering and did not have any bushings. Bearings yes, but no bushings.

Now you have me thinking that you are probably referring to the the diff alone and not installed in the car. And I can see how that spacer/bushing on the metal ring gear could cause it to be way to tight.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am trying to get the Ride Height but can only reach 21 in both rear and front with the basic spec I am running on clay track bumpy. The Basic setup said 18 for front and rear I have the XB4 2015 kit any idea what can I do to decrease to 18 or 19. I also see the buggy doe not have a droop screw.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whats a good shock tool to tighten the shock. my shock came lose today in practice I hand tighten but as I see not very good. What shock tools are you guys using??
Old 05-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
So, we had our club race Thursday, and my traction issue has more or less been solved. First off, there were a lot of guys on this thread who had ideas on how to help me, thanks very much! They were all fairly different, so I thought I'd change as little as possible to start off, to see if it was a simple tune or if a whole sale change in set up was needed. To be fair, the temperature outside was a lot warmer than the previous weeks racing, which helped immensely with traction overall. As for my set up, I ended up going from 500k to 100k in the center diff, this helped tame the power and the rear from getting out of control going straight, and lessened the front feeling like it was pulling the car around the track, but it did not add traction coming out of corners or sweepers. I added 3 dot front springs. This helped a bit more, but the rear still slid around. I then checked my buddy's B44.3 diffs at the advice of another and his were super free, so I pulled out my 8k front, refilled it with 3k and put it in the back, and moved the 5k rear diff now to the front, eureka. Now, it is a little wee bit sluggish probably due to the 100k center diff, but when my 200k arrives I'll try that. I have a better handling buggy now, but I could still use a bit more talent!
Heavy,

Nice! Glad to here your buggy improved and very smart you applying small incremental changes. I really think you are going to like 200k in your center diff as I love it especially on a lower bite track. The buggy is very controllable and can be pushed aggressively when wanted.

Have an excellent rest of your weekend my friend.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There is no shock tool like with the AE, Kyosho's or others as there is no "keyed" section on the shock for any tool to lock into. We all grip the shock body, sometimes with a shop towel to ensure it does not slip, and man hands the cap on tight.

Last edited by HeavyD99; 05-30-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HulkNT1
Whats a good shock tool to tighten the shock. my shock came lose today in practice I hand tighten but as I see not very good. What shock tools are you guys using??
Use these http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/protek-...k-8267/p248643
Old 05-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey trying to finish up getting my xb4 2015 ready but running into another issue. the motor mount holes are about 1-2mm too close to each other to fit on my trackstar 13.5 motor anybody have this issue before? Could I have a bad motor mount or possibly a bad motor?
Old 05-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Willie Mann
Hey trying to finish up getting my xb4 2015 ready but running into another issue. the motor mount holes are about 1-2mm too close to each other to fit on my trackstar 13.5 motor anybody have this issue before? Could I have a bad motor mount or possibly a bad motor?
I would guess the motor before the mount.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmackani
+1 works great for holding bodies and shafts for all my models.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HulkNT1
I am trying to get the Ride Height but can only reach 21 in both rear and front with the basic spec I am running on clay track bumpy. The Basic setup said 18 for front and rear I have the XB4 2015 kit any idea what can I do to decrease to 18 or 19. I also see the buggy doe not have a droop screw.

Thanks
For the droop, the way to measure it is to measure from center to center on the shock mounting screws. I use a digital caliper, but I guess you could use a ruler as well. You use the shock length to set the droop on this car.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Have a question for you long term XB4 guys. I have an 2015 that I've broken two front axles in the last two times out on the track (one left and one right). Droop and up travel are set perfect. In fact, there is not one mark on the axles from the outdrives. EPA's are set perfect as well (no noise from servo at full lock). Both axles broke at the ball. Now I'm searching for replacements and none are available. Not driving related as I rarely hit anything.

Is this a normal problem for these buggies? At $25 a pop this will be an expensive buggy to run.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timannnn6
Have a question for you long term XB4 guys. I have an 2015 that I've broken two front axles in the last two times out on the track (one left and one right). Droop and up travel are set perfect. In fact, there is not one mark on the axles from the outdrives. EPA's are set perfect as well (no noise from servo at full lock). Both axles broke at the ball. Now I'm searching for replacements and none are available. Not driving related as I rarely hit anything.

Is this a normal problem for these buggies? At $25 a pop this will be an expensive buggy to run.
Pick up some Spec R Racing front CVD's. They are excellent as the reduce chatter and are easier on your front diff. Improved steering control.
Much like a double cardone CVD's from Tamiya as well as Shumachers True CVD's.

Under 50 for a pair of assembled fronts. These will last you a long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.