Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
Couple quick questions:

Do the 12mm hexes have the right offset if used on the front?

Are most using the metal gears from the NT1 in the gear diffs or the V2s?
The offset is different.

I bought NT1 gears but have never needed them. I had no issues with the original gear and haven't had any issues with the V2 stuff.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
Couple quick questions:

Do the 12mm hexes have the right offset if used on the front?

Are most using the metal gears from the NT1 in the gear diffs or the V2s?
Some of us who got the car when it came out are still using the original plastic gears... I did roach one set and put the metal in the rear and simply shimmed up the plastic gears after break in. Still using the original housings as well. The v2 stuff is unused... so far
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
Some of us who got the car when it came out are still using the original plastic gears... I did roach one set and put the metal in the rear and simply shimmed up the plastic gears after break in. Still using the original housings as well. The v2 stuff is unused... so far
Cool the buggy jumped great, but had bad traction. Got it used so I'll go thru it and setup per a setup sheet I found
Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ronzo
what is the best way to clean the oil from the gear diffs?
thanks
Remove everything and wipe off as much as possible then clean with brake cleaner, pop the gears in a small container with some BC in and give it a swirl/shake then dry off with a paper towel or something.

In the diff house use some BC and a cotton bud

Let dry and refill
Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Doesnt brake cleaner break down plastic? Seen cases of a rx8 being wiped clean regularly with BC and it shattering eventually. If I do want to clean plastic I just use simple green a toothbrush and compressed air.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Shellite from the hardware store. That's what we call it in Australia.

Put some Shellite in a jar and soak the parts in it for a few minutes. Don't put the o-rings in it.

Overview
Diggers Shellite is a flammable hydrocarbon solvent used primarily as lighter fuel. (Also known as Recosol R55.)

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_..._P1563463.aspx
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So I have now tested my new XB4 on our astro track.. wow I didn't change anything just drove it like the last guy had it. Awesome.
I put the 410s up for sale (with a tear in my eye I have to say) and thankfully I got them sold the next day.
Now as I have a few spares do I get another one???? Or just get another diff and shocks?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Okay guys. Time for me to get a wheeler! I have narrowed it down to either the xray xb4 or the caster s10b. Obviously you guys posting here are xray owners. What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages of the xray? Try to be objective. My three main criteria in choosing which buggy to get are durability, ease of maintanence, and stability on the track. So....is the xray durable? Easy to maintain? Easy to drive? (I understand this is subjective). Is the instruction manual clear? If you had to do it over again would you still buy the xray? Have any of you driven both rigs? What are your opinions as to the performance of the two buggies? Thanks all!

Jason
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jschurig
Okay guys. Time for me to get a wheeler! I have narrowed it down to either the xray xb4 or the caster s10b. Obviously you guys posting here are xray owners. What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages of the xray? Try to be objective. My three main criteria in choosing which buggy to get are durability, ease of maintanence, and stability on the track. So....is the xray durable? Easy to maintain? Easy to drive? (I understand this is subjective). Is the instruction manual clear? If you had to do it over again would you still buy the xray? Have any of you driven both rigs? What are your opinions as to the performance of the two buggies? Thanks all!

Jason
Yes to everything but I haven't driven or seen the Caster buggy. Just read through this thread to see how everyone likes the buggy, take a quick look at the manual, read the article on the creation of the buggy, etc. I think that should be enough to make you want to go buy it.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jschurig

Jason
The XRAY is all that, and is exactly why I bought it. I had the Durango DEX410V3 and AE B44.2 over the course of 3-4 months while trying to find the right car for me - and while both a great cars, I ended up selling each and going with the XRAY.

The Durango is a work of art, but the layout leaves little room for electronics ... and while it has gear diffs I didn't want to get frustrated on race day if something broke and I didn't have elf-like hands. XRAY solved that.

The AE had everything else, but seems to require more maintenance for the diffs - lots of cars seemed to be eating their diffs at our local tracks.

I have no experience with the Caster ... but I don't think you can go wrong with the XRAY.

Completely unbiased opinion. This is my 'fun' car for the track.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

I have to say after a few races and practice the XB4 is very reliable, one of the best on the market right now.
Great handling, very 8th scale jumping and got that Durango style traction.
Awesome
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onekiwi
So I have now tested my new XB4 on our astro track.. wow I didn't change anything just drove it like the last guy had it. Awesome.
I put the 410s up for sale (with a tear in my eye I have to say) and thankfully I got them sold the next day.
Now as I have a few spares do I get another one???? Or just get another diff and shocks?
I bought 2 kits to start (good deal LHS) to have spares but with some luck but Iv'e only broken two parts. It is very nice to have 3/5/7/10 diffs ready to pop in and same for shocks with different internals. It really cuts down on wasted wrench time in the pits during practice, you can get lots of track time in a limited period. Don't forget the wheels, body, towers blah blah blah... 90% of my "spare" is stull in the box. I bought a 3rd(yea I'm an idiot) thats for sale. The car has been so good I'm thinking it's time to buy the stuff Iv'e used out of the "spare" and build it up and run it. more track time , Iv'e been a huge buggy guy for 30 years especially 2ws but the XB4 changed that. 4WO rules.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Cool! Thanks guys for the input! It sounds like I really can't go wrong either way I decide! Sounds like both rigs are quality vehicles that I would enjoy!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Do you run at delta in Antioch, by chance? Your name sounds familiar. If you do, you can checkout my xb4, I will be running this weekend.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

I have made it down to Delta a couple of times in the last year. Fun atmosphere down there! It's a 3.5 hour drive each way though, so I don't make it that frequently. My home track is Rattlesnake Raceway up in Redding, Ca. Next time I make it down there to Delta I will hit you up and check your buggy out!

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.