Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Any chance they will include both types of pistons (2 each) in one kit. People run smaller in front and bigger holes in rear. I don't want to waste 4 pistons by buying both kits. Already have drilled the blanks with that hole configuration and it works like a charm but would love machined pistons of course.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

they don't do that with any of their other pistons but that would be nice
or get a full pack of 1.5 and drill two out to 1.6
Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asc6000
they don't do that with any of their other pistons but that would be nice
or get a full pack of 1.5 and drill two out to 1.6
Yeah I hope they do that. Otherwise I am sticking to my personally drilled blanks with the same avid config.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

I emailed them yesterday and they said buy a pack of both sizes and share with someone or wait for the 2wd so I can run it in both. They must think everyone that emails them is retarded. I think it's dumb that they advertise that you use 1.5 in the front and 1.6 in the rear yet a pack of 4 is one size or the other.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Z00M
I emailed them yesterday and they said buy a pack of both sizes and share with someone or wait for the 2wd so I can run it in both. They must think everyone that emails them is retarded. I think it's dumb that they advertise that you use 1.5 in the front and 1.6 in the rear yet a pack of 4 is one size or the other.
Haha thats bad form. Anyways its nothing special as well they are not tapered or something which requires any special machining. I guess I will stick to my drilled version of avids layout. Maybe ghea will get some tapers going. The cars gaining traction by the amount of aftermarket parts coming out .
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Am I missing something here?

The kit comes with a blank set of pistons - why not buy 1.1, 1.5 and 1.6mm drill bits for a couple of bucks each and drill the holes yourself?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hars

The kit comes with a blank set of pistons - why not buy 1.1, 1.5 and 1.6mm drill bits for a couple of bucks each and drill the holes yourself?
Yeah thats what I did. Bought this last week from amain

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ston-Drill-Set

I just don't trust my hands to drill perfect vertical holes thats all. So wanted a machined version instead from the factory.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

IIRC the piston is the same o.diameter as your rb6, so you might be able to pop a shim underneath it and use the spare pistons in that.

Unless you sold that car. I seem to remember seeing you sell it...
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

The biggest difference is there's a lot of blow by with the stock pistons and the AVID ones are much better tolerances and so the car will drive better.

I heard that the guys who had run these after running the stock pistons ended up taking all the weight out of their car and close to the stock setup with very good results.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by silvalis
IIRC the piston is the same o.diameter as your rb6, so you might be able to pop a shim underneath it and use the spare pistons in that.

Unless you sold that car. I seem to remember seeing you sell it...
The Kyosho/Losi pistons aren't quite the same size. It is close but the Kyosho piston is a fraction smaller than the Xray. I tried that avenue already I was hoping the Avid machined pistons were a finer tolerance even than the Xray pistons. Since the Xray pistons are moulded, they can't be exactly the right size once they allow for shrinkage in the manufacturing process. Plus you have a difference where the piston is cut from the tree. I'm sure Xray will deliver some machined pistons in time, and I'm also glad they are working on the 2wd ahead of machined pistons! Since the spring and summer racing season is ramping up for the Europeans, I wonder if we will see a slow down of development coming out of Slovakia while they attend all the race meetings?

And yes, I sold the Kyosho so I could replace my radio - KIY v2 is awesome!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hars

avids like gheas are a machined piston, much more accurate than stock molded pistons. The fit to the shock body and the holes are perfect. Even a good technician has a hard time duplicating that precision at home with drill bits and could have a tiny difference which... we probably wouldn't notice but mentally you need full confidence in your equipment when you are competing. So $16 is what I call "peace of mind" money. Blanks are nice but gluing up holes and redrilling is a convenient backup method.
I have a new in the box xb4 in the classifieds if anyone is interested....
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

I think machined pistons have a noticable handling difference. You won't go faster but your car will feel more consistent.

But in this case it'll have a bigger difference since the OD of the piston is bigger than the stock diameter.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The Kyosho/Losi pistons aren't quite the same size. It is close but the Kyosho piston is a fraction smaller than the Xray. I tried that avenue already I was hoping the Avid machined pistons were a finer tolerance even than the Xray pistons. Since the Xray pistons are moulded, they can't be exactly the right size once they allow for shrinkage in the manufacturing process. Plus you have a difference where the piston is cut from the tree. I'm sure Xray will deliver some machined pistons in time, and I'm also glad they are working on the 2wd ahead of machined pistons! Since the spring and summer racing season is ramping up for the Europeans, I wonder if we will see a slow down of development coming out of Slovakia while they attend all the race meetings?

And yes, I sold the Kyosho so I could replace my radio - KIY v2 is awesome!
I'm still waiting for hei to get their s*** together (since march) and tell me how I can send mine in for the v2 update...
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seth556
I think machined pistons have a noticable handling difference. You won't go faster but your car will feel more consistent.
it's in your head
Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asc6000
it's in your head
Haha heads all that matters. That wins races :P I did notice a difference (the good kind) going to gheas on my rb6 but whether that was due to the taper or the actual fitment or a combination of both I am not sure.
Blow by should be that big a deal? Just going slightly up on oil should counter it correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.