Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What's the biggest advance/step backward you've seen in r/c over the last 15 years? >

What's the biggest advance/step backward you've seen in r/c over the last 15 years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree100Likes

What's the biggest advance/step backward you've seen in r/c over the last 15 years?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up Good topic

good points above, to me it's the VTA first 4 cell,27 turn, and that old car in the back of the closet. Then 21.5 and now 25.5 to slow the class down, but it has not slowed the class down it's faster and at a higher cost to the racer.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
Worst things,

"boosting/turbo" any other flavour of the month term for a dynamic timing ESC. It's ruined racing.
Light weight shells, don't last long even with good driving so I begrudge spending the money to have it painted up.
Non generalisation between classes. Before, we had Mod, 19t, and 27t. You knew where you were with those, I'm currently racing in 3 different UK winter championships, and between those, the classes range from 21.5 "boosted", 17.5 blinky, 13.5 boosted and open mod
Really, 3 different classes in brushed motors you can cope with but 4 classes in brushless confuses you

Its simple 21.5 boosted and 17.5 blinky are too slow even for my 5 years old grandson and his grandad...so ignore those

13.5 boosted by far the most popular in the UK, fast close racing but can be difficult to understand boost and turbo if you are a nincompoop.

Mod is fast, too fast for most but if you race in that class you gauge how fast (or slow) you really are when compared to Andy, Elliott, Olly and the like

As for lightweight shell, I like them better, they seem more flexable (not like me) add a bit of shell repair tape to the wheel arches before you use them and they last ages

Last edited by bucketboy; 10-25-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

Advancements:
I agree with most of the comments, personal transponders, lipos, brushless etc. You can also buy some incredibly detailed r/c car bodies now, that look like real cars.

A step backwards:
Generic blob bodies and Tribal graphics paint jobs ... I don't know about the rest of you, but I've yet to see a tribal graphics paint job on a real Touring car, F1, IMSA, Indy, NASCAR etc. How are the spectators supposed to relate to this bizarre multi-colored blob that looks like a footballers tattooed arm?

Does anybody know where the design came from originally? and why everyone feels the need to copy every one else?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

a return to gear diffs or even fluid filled diffs is a bonus in my mind...a lot less hassle or maintenance!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Never did I say that 4 classes confused me... It just dilutes racing down, I'd rather there just be an open class and nobody hides themselves in stock then claiming they are national champion...

And I'm talking national/big meeting scene here rather than club level... I couldn't care less what people run at clubs.

Originally Posted by bucketboy
Really, 3 different classes in brushed motors you can cope with but 4 classes in brushless confuses you

Its simple 21.5 boosted and 17.5 blinky are too slow even for my 5 years old grandson and his grandad...so ignore those

13.5 boosted by far the most popular in the UK, fast close racing but can be difficult to understand boost and turbo if you are a nincompoop.

Mod is fast, too fast for most but if you race in that class you gauge how fast (or slow) you really are when compared to Andy, Elliott, Olly and the like

As for lightweight shell, I like them better, they seem more flexable (not like me) add a bit of shell repair tape to the wheel arches before you use them and they last ages
Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by superspeed
More race rollers - a welcoming idea.

RTR - should explicitly say ready to RUN on the box and not mislead people thinking it's ready to race LOL.
RTR- Ready To REBUILD. Losi's RTR's are pretty awful.

Biggest step forward in racing today: 2.4 radios and lipo batteries. Makes my life so much easier. And less expensive.

Biggest step backwards: Short Course. Small tire contact patch, giant bodies on a modified stadium truck chassis. Yeah they look cool I guess. I'd much rather run stadium trucks and 2wd buggies. Wheel time is wheel time, and thats the only reason why I race SC.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
Advancements:
I agree with most of the comments, personal transponders, lipos, brushless etc. You can also buy some incredibly detailed r/c car bodies now, that look like real cars.

A step backwards:
Generic blob bodies and Tribal graphics paint jobs ... I don't know about the rest of you, but I've yet to see a tribal graphics paint job on a real Touring car, F1, IMSA, Indy, NASCAR etc. How are the spectators supposed to relate to this bizarre multi-colored blob that looks like a footballers tattooed arm?

Does anybody know where the design came from originally? and why everyone feels the need to copy every one else?
Haha, I recall Parma, Team Orion, and XXX-Main released the paint masks more than a decade ago and guys at our shop found them to be distasteful. Not sure if you notice, the decal set for bodies are lesser than before. During 80s - 90s, we would paint the body to replicate a real racing car and Autographics and Slixx were good at making decals. Really got to appreciate Tamiya for keeping the body detailed and very true to realism with 2 sheets of decal on average.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quality has been falling back, there are some really cheap looking and cheap quality 2.4 radios. If I go back 15 - 20 years ago, it would be like advising the customers that yes AM radio will get the job done, but FM has less interference plus (a big plus) there are lots of useful features that you're paying more because of that.

You know, I found a collection of r/c car action magazines at my local library dated back to mid 90s. They are very enjoyable to read. When someone is getting into the r/c hobby, most of them don't want to know the recent history of r/c models. Instead they want instant gratification and same business experience as they were shopping at a retail store, returning or exchanging with little valid reason.

In summary, technology has really advanced in radio, battery, motor, lap counting, and electronics like esc and servos. However, a step backward has really been the overall quality especially on RTR stuff and people's mindset about hobby.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

one of the best things : ball bearings everywhere. Nowadays even the cheapest cars have some. Back in the day Tamiya even went as far as releasing their hi-end Dyna Storm with bronze bushings in the front wheels ;- )

Personal transponders are super nice, also. I remember a few years ago, I was on the road back from a race with friends, and after 10km, one of them gets a call on his cell, then turns to me : " dude... you left the trandponder in your car after the last heat ?" We had to drive back.

One the worst things : yeah, I don't like RTR's, and I really don't buy the " it brings people to the hobby" argument. Its like giving a lego box to a kid, with the model already assembled. Who wants to play with that ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQs2he00cKs

"This car has to be assembled... There are more than a hundred pieces in there ! " haha
Old 10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by heretic
One the worst things : yeah, I don't like RTR's, and I really don't buy the " it brings people to the hobby" argument. Its like giving a lego box to a kid, with the model already assembled. Who wants to play with that ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQs2he00cKs

"This car has to be assembled... There are more than a hundred pieces in there ! " haha
RTR is more like buying a puzzle that's already finished. Just buy a poster.

I'll admit I like the 3 10 minute mains idea.

As mentioned ad nauseum, 2.4 GHz is probably #1, followed by LiPo and brushless. The bad is all of the proprietary receivers that list for $100 - $150 each. I'm loathe to switch to a new radio purely due to the cost of replacing all of my receivers. It doesn't make sense when you can get USB WiFi dongles for $10. Standardization drives the prices down. Proprietary solutions don't.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

single biggest backward step in my opinion...class dilution. Constantly fragmetting catagories into smaller subsets sucks.

also, race tracks and/or racing organizations that sit back and force the racers to create their own rules. to me, asking racers to organize themselves is like pushing a rock uphill.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
to me, asking racers to organize themselves is like pushing a rock uphill.
Nah, it's more like herding cats.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

single biggest backward step in my opinion...class dilution. Constantly fragmetting catagories into smaller subsets sucks.

also, race tracks and/or racing organizations that sit back and force the racers to create their own rules. to me, asking racers to organize themselves is like pushing a rock uphill.
to me, setting clear rules and expectations is one of the main reasons to pay track entry fees or join santioning bodies. unfortunately, very few track owners see it the same way...but take a look at the most successful tracks. you'll notice they have race directors that lead the way...not just collect money at the door.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

single biggest backward step in my opinion...class dilution. Constantly fragmenting categories into smaller subsets sucks.
Agreed. Set up a class, stick to it. You can only run so many heats per race day.

[/quote]

The organizations should still listen to the racers, of course, but boundaries need to be in place, otherwise you have no discernible, competitive classes.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Class dilution is something, but I think there is a note of overall enthusiasm loss for rc racing. We made it too easy, now that anybody can do it nobody will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.