Wiki Posts
Search

Help and pls advice....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help and pls advice....

i am having a 17T sensored motor with esc that's higher C rating (60A) than the motor,so it's safe to use. But how about the Lipo? Can i use the higher C (say 50C~70C) Lipo to run the system????:tire:
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by driftingcar
i am having a 17T sensored motor with esc that's higher C rating (60A) than the motor,so it's safe to use. But how about the Lipo? Can i use the higher C (say 50C~70C) Lipo to run the system????:tire:
The Lipo C rating doesn't matter in it being too "high" The more the better for just about any application.The ESC will control the amount of Amps going to the motor and how many amps it chooses to use from your Lipo, the Lipo is basically passive in it's delivery. The ESC tops out at 60A to the motor continuous. The 17T motor can handle that just fine. The only time it may be an issue is if gearing is wrong or the ESC had advanced features like "Boost" or timing turned up too high for the motor.. See your ESC manual for these settings.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Xenolance
The Lipo C rating doesn't matter in it being too "high" The more the better for just about any application.The ESC will control the amount of Amps going to the motor and how many amps it chooses to use from your Lipo, the Lipo is basically passive in it's delivery. The ESC tops out at 60A to the motor continuous. The 17T motor can handle that just fine. The only time it may be an issue is if gearing is wrong or the ESC had advanced features like "Boost" or timing turned up too high for the motor.. See your ESC manual for these settings.
Thanks Xenolance! so i can ultilised Nanotech 100C for my current system??? you sure it safe and will not cook my esc?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

With the ESC, there are usually only a few concerns. The specifications will list the battery type(s) of course (Lipo/Nimh, etc). The battery "size" will also be listed (2s/3S, etc). Also listed will be the maximum motor size (most often listed in "turns").

For example, here is an exerpt from the specs for a Novak GTB2:

Motor Type: Sensored Brushless
Input Cells: 1*-2S LiPo/LiFe or 4-6 NiMH
Motor Compatibility (#1749 model) 540-Size: 3.5-turn or higher sensored

This tells you a few things. 1st, you can't run a brushed motor or a non-sensored brushless motor with this ESC. 2nd, if you connect it to a 3S Lipo, bad things will happen quickly. 3rd, if you try a 2.5-turn motor, it's not going to last very long.

You CAN run a low MAH/low C 2S Lipo with no problem. Your motor performance and/or run time may be reduced, but the ESC will handle it just fine. Or, you could put in a high MAH/high C 2S Lipo and observe pretty awesome performance and ridiculous run times

One thing to note...with a 17.5 motor, you're not likely to notice any improved performance with a 100C battery over say a 50C. Of course you won't notice any lack of performance either. If you already have 50C-60C-70C batteries, I'd save the cash and run 'em!

Sorry for the long reply. I'm bored
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks bro for all the advice, it makes me confident to select Lipo and run my esc for longer lifetime.