Wiki Posts
Search

Want to get into electric offroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)
Default Want to get into electric offroad

i want to move into electric offroad and i was wondering what i should get? Should i go truck or buggy? 2wd or 4wd ? And what model should i get ? Or if there is something new comming out soon should i wait ?

any help would be great
Old 03-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

LOSI XXX-T MF2 w/ stock motor and you'll be dialed!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Associated FT-T4 w/ Stock Motor and you'll be dialed!

What I suggest for you, go to the track you will be racing at. What classes do they run? The reason I say that, you wont want to get a buggy if there class is only made up of two or three of them. Watch to see what the fast guys are using, Associated or Losi.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Smile Electric Reply

I run at SoCal. I suggest the Team Losi MF2 truck. 2wd trucks appear to be a pretty popular class right now? Go brushless if you don't want to deal with motor maintenance. Airtronics MX8s - synthesized, or Spektrum for the radio, and you'll be a happy camper, plus you'll have alot of help getting dialed in.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you decide to go with an Electric Off-Road Truck, Go for the Associated Factory Team T4! You won't ever regret it!

As suggested, checkout your competition at your local race track and also look at the parts that are usually available at your local hobby shop and around your area.

If you have never run 2WD Buggy before... it might be best to start out with Electric Off-road Trucks... they are much more stable and easier to handle yet still very fast and competetive. With 2WD Buggy... it will be more of a challenge as it's a lot less forgiving with mistakes... but once you learn to drive 2WD Buggy... almost everything else is cake! If you have a 4WD Class that often races in your area... this too could be lots of fun. Driving it is easy though expect to dedicate more time for assembly and maintenance. It's the Formula 1 of Off-Road Racing and the fastest of the 3 racing classes! Maybe after you get used to your first Electric Kit... this could be the next step.

Best of Luck on your decision and welcome to the Eelctric Club!

Old 03-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

I would say go with a Team Associated T4. I am very happy with mine.

Although, I have never tried out the MF2...
Old 03-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default evader

If your going to bash and race I would get a duratax evader ST, they are awesome and highly upgradable. Trucks have more ground clearance and are more durable than buggies.

Duratrax also has a stress-tech warrenty so if you break anytyhing and it wasnt your fault you can send it back and they'll send you back a new part.

the Duratrax evader is good for starters but its wicked fast if u do it up.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

If you going to start into racing, go with either the Team Associated T4 or Team Losi MF edition. You dont really need to go top notch off the begining. Both trucks are equally good. The truck are both made close to the same. The companies are both really good for costumer support.

If your just into the bashing part of it, then go with the cheaper models such as a traxxas rustler or stampede. These trucks are built stronger than above two especially for the bashing reason. The above one's are built lighter and better for on the track.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Go to your local off-road track, find out what everyones using, and work from there. As posted earlier, usually Associated or Losi. The T4 from what I've heard is an outstanding truck. The Losi is pretty good as well. Just find out what everyones running, what motor, etc. Good luck
Old 03-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Want to get into electric offroad

Originally posted by wallstreet
i want to move into electric offroad and i was wondering what i should get? Should i go truck or buggy? 2wd or 4wd ? And what model should i get ? Or if there is something new comming out soon should i wait ?

any help would be great
If you are just starting out in the hobby, or a novice racer,. Take your time dont go out and spend a bunch of money or get over your head. I suggest getting one of the ready to runs the T4 or the XXXT. There is a article in one of the magazines. The T4 actually wins in that category, not that often Associated has higher feedback than Losi. I can say that the Losi ready to run can take a beating. Not that you will beat your truck to death. I have seen some younger guy's at our local track that are just getting started and he put his Losi through a test.
Getting one of the ready to runs wont break your bank, they both come with pretty good speed controls, invest in some good packs, at least three packs, a decent charger. Maybe a twin peak to start with. When you start to get better, then start spending your hard earned money on better equipment. Most of all have fun stay in the hobby and dont give up. Practice as much as you can.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Or you could just buy both....the T4 and the MF2 and see what you enjoy the most. The best thing you can do is ask everyone at your track....especially the fast guys and see what they think. You want the car with the greatest amount of support from the shop and racers.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Tech Rookie

i would get a traxxas stampede. dont buy the best car for your first. you going to crash it and a lot of things will break. buy something fairly cheap for your first then save up and get a nitro or even a better electric.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

i have been into the hobby for a while now and it is awesome, my tmaxx is great, my miini t is great, my rc18t is great, and my new MF2 i just finished to day basically fell to gether as soon as i opened the box. i still need to put a motor and esc in it, but it looks solid and i just like to look at it, im so excited.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

for bashing, Traxxas is what you need. The Rustler with the right upgrades, bearings, bearing carriers, tires, and a good ESC with a confortable radio and your all set. They are mighty quick, and they aren't bad off road. They aren't for racing by any streach of the word, but I usually race them on road. Put some 30 weight shock oil and some 3 hole pistons in the shocks, with red springs in the back and it will not only hold the road, but it will handle bumps without leaving one wheel off the ground. It is not as new as the Losi or Associated trucks, but it is a good basher. It won't keep pace with the Losi's, but it will probably out crash them. I also have fallen in love with Losi suspensions. Losi has just got the most plush off road suspensions I have ever seen. Associated's just seem to be more "packed" than the Losi's. If you had to go for one of these in the stadium truck class, it would really depend on what you are looking to do.

Losi - Racer, light, fast, agile, most tuning options.
T4 - Racer, reliable, stable, best aftermarket support.
Rustler - Basher, strong, reliable, easy to maintain, virtually "stupid proof".
Duratrax - Neutral, Strong, factory hop-ups, graphite and aluminum throughout.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would start with a 1/10 truck, they are pretty easy to drive and are alot of fun. look into a buggy after you get more experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.