Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro going forward

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Nitro guys will stay with nitro. The decline in nitro numbers you are seeing now is because up untill the past few years nitro was the thing. Everyone ran it. Alot of the Guys liked electric but raced a nitro for more track time and faster more powerfull vehicles.

Then brushless and lipos came along making electric just as fast and simpler then ever befor. So guys are getting in the new electric fix and the nitro cars sit on the shelf.

Give it a few years and Nitro will be back on top.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I've never been tech'd. Ever.

Do you combine E & N for club racing?
Honest pete.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

I think the nitro's really only seem to come out in force at big events. Still see tons of nitros there.

But those same big events have Ebuggy down to the E main now. So there's that.

It's nice running both classes at big events. My nitro gets less wear as I use my electric in the practice sessions. And I get better quality practice because I don't have to worry about being on my lid as I learn the track.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Naw, 5th scale ain't taking over anything.

But I'll bet my XB9 that we'll see more and more 1/5th only large events. It's a class of racing that requires some travel and prep. Not as go lucky as 1/8th scale.

Think about it, the 5ive is really the first nice 1/5th scale. The HPI's are ok, but the 5ive is on a whole new plateau. I think that's going to bring in some fresh racers. Especially since nitro is $40+ a gallon with very expensive engines ($350+ per season).

My buggies never been tech'd. Fairly certain I'm around 130cc!

AND when people see the price of nitro they run to electric. This is nothing but the stores fault and what they want to push the most ! No way that nitro fuel should ever be near $40 a gallon. Not only is that making money, it's pure greed. The Local shop sales O'donnell and Strike Team at $24 a gallon. I sell Byrons at $24 a gallon. We both are making money so why the increase. Nitro prices have actually came down some over the years. Just totally incredible.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Greg B
AND when people see the price of nitro they run to electric. This is nothing but the stores fault and what they want to push the most ! No way that nitro fuel should ever be near $40 a gallon. Not only is that making money, it's pure greed. The Local shop sales O'donnell and Strike Team at $24 a gallon. I sell Byrons at $24 a gallon. We both are making money so why the increase. Nitro prices have actually came down some over the years. Just totally incredible.

Well i do remember that Byrons fuel was $30 a gallon if i remember might of been more when i was running nitro. That adds up in the long run with electric its cheaper in the long run dued mostly that Lipos last long etc.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Except that lipo's, ESC's, tires, and pins add up over time.

My electrics are barely less expensive than my nitros. Not really even enough to really matter. And they're far less reliable than nitro.

The key with nitro is to find a good reliable engine and stick with it. Buy the same engine again when it wears out. Parts commonality and all that. As long as you get 10+ gallons without a ton of bearings and rods.....
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I started off with electrics, but I love racing outdoors and the nitro cars are just more fun for me. I love the engines, mechanical brakes. and general feel of the nitro powerband. Electrics are still fun as well, but I'll be sticking with nitro for the most part. I have an e-buggy that I don't really use much.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Except that lipo's, ESC's, tires, and pins add up over time.

My electrics are barely less expensive than my nitros. Not really even enough to really matter. And they're far less reliable than nitro.

The key with nitro is to find a good reliable engine and stick with it. Buy the same engine again when it wears out. Parts commonality and all that. As long as you get 10+ gallons without a ton of bearings and rods.....

I dont know but i have a season in a half on my cheap lipos and there still fine ESC is fine and motor runs fine. I guess others have bad luck my has been very relible it will only shut down if the motor overheats which it did before but its fine . Pins are you talking about drivetrain axle pins ? Im just about to buy new ones but it depends on what brand you have with the wear.

Now tires yea it does eat tires more but than again i was running to soft of a compound in the hot weather outdoors. So in my mind in the long run its been cheaper than when i ran it as nitro.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Who cares about electric? It's a nitro forum.. (no offense, but you are talking about electrics in a nitro thread..)

5th scale is and always will be too expensive. What does a 5T body cost - $250?.. And just as loud if not louder than nitro.

What I'd like to see is a bashing revival of some kind. 8th scale nitro RC is dominated by racing at the moment, and the vibe in racing is stiff and lame compared to bashing IMO. I only got into racing because I like nitro that much. But I can't really get into it - talking about drilling shock pistons, 2 degrees of this or that, how can I get six seconds more run-time, etc.. is like pulling fingernails...
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Who cares about electric? It's a nitro forum.. (no offense, but you are talking about electrics in a nitro thread..)

5th scale is and always will be too expensive. What does a 5T body cost - $250?.. And just as loud if not louder than nitro.

What I'd like to see is a bashing revival of some kind. 8th scale nitro RC is dominated by racing at the moment, and the vibe in racing is stiff and lame compared to bashing IMO. I only got into racing because I like nitro that much. But I can't really get into it - talking about drilling shock pistons, 2 degrees of this or that, how can I get six seconds more run-time, etc.. is like pulling fingernails...
I agree.
This thread is not about what is better, nitro or electric, its about the Nitro's future.
I for one see it as supporting your fav F1 team, if they were at the top, and now at the "bottom", I think you would want know what are their plans for next year. I'm glad electrics are at the level their at, just make nitro engine manufacturers think outside the box a bit, THAT would be awesome.
There will always be a Nitro vs Electric war, which makes it more interesting IMHO

I have an electric and nitro, but found I got bored with the electric after running it for 2 weekends, so I'll keep it for days I want to play, but for days I want to be serious........out comes the Nitro

Last edited by GeeForce; 10-04-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Wrong wording
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by scwrod
That is what I'm talking about.
Is that a custom build or....?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Tech Lord

The problem giving Nitro a bad picture is with those cheap chineese garbage.

Over here in Holland (and I think everywhere) starters do not want to give a lot of money to their first car and those who want to have a nitro do buy a 200 dollar or less car with an engine giving very soon problems, for sure if it has runned on the lean side. Those guys do not blame theirselves or the car but the technology.
When there is a larger budget for a new car they buy a new RC car with a different technology like 1/5 petrol or an electric because friends or forums with such cars also do tell so. On a large Dutch forum there are some people very busy telling not to get a Nitro because all kind of problems, some of those guys do not even have an experience with nitro but are telling what others do tell.

When there is a new and larger budget of about 500 dollar they mostly buy a cheap 1/5 petrol car like a Yama because those 26cc engines are "always starting and running". The funny thing is that afterwards these guys are still facing all kind of problems because the poor quality of the electronics and plastics while with that budget a good quality and reliable nitro is possible.

Regarding the racing scene... Be aware that many bashers comunities with these cars and thinking excists and not many people step out to do more than bashing.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Roelof
The problem giving Nitro a bad picture is with those cheap chineese garbage.

Over here in Holland (and I think everywhere) starters do not want to give a lot of money to their first car and those who want to have a nitro do buy a 200 dollar or less car with an engine giving very soon problems, for sure if it has runned on the lean side. Those guys do not blame theirselves or the car but the technology.
When there is a larger budget for a new car they buy a new RC car with a different technology like 1/5 petrol or an electric because friends or forums with such cars also do tell so. On a large Dutch forum there are some people very busy telling not to get a Nitro because all kind of problems, some of those guys do not even have an experience with nitro but are telling what others do tell.

When there is a new and larger budget of about 500 dollar they mostly buy a cheap 1/5 petrol car like a Yama because those 26cc engines are "always starting and running". The funny thing is that afterwards these guys are still facing all kind of problems because the poor quality of the electronics and plastics while with that budget a good quality and reliable nitro is possible.

Regarding the racing scene... Be aware that many bashers comunities with these cars and thinking excists and not many people step out to do more than bashing.
Thats a very good point you are making there.
I think thats why a lot of "bashers" if you will, like electrics, and who can blame them, no break-in's, no tuning....just pure bashing. I'm not saying electric is only for bashing, but if its the only thing you want to do, it makes sense to get an electric.

And be preparred to give out the dough if you want a propper RC, I've had so many experience with this.....buying cheap is expensive, especially in this hobby.
Rather save up and buy something that will last you for a very long time, instead of just trying to feed the hunger bug
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

Not sure I caught all that. But if the point was that you have to spend big bucks to have a good nitro experience, I couldn't disagree more. Again, ran my Losi 454 (paid $100 new from ebay chop shop) last weekend, and had a blast.. Go, Alpha, even Nova and RB all have excellent sub €200 engines. What matters is the user, not the price tag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.