Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Hate Shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Also deburring the plastic perfectly works really well, even the slightest burr on any of the tree-molded parts will cause it to snag or even rip the silicone seals.

As for rebound - use none. Although the TC manuals say to fill with a certain rebound - you should have zero to none on any offroad vehicle, and here is why.

The oil in your shocks controls the speed at which the shock reacts, not suspensive properties. That's what springs are for. Filling it to preset a "rebound" is not only inaccurate, it is a recipe for blown seals.

When you push the shock shaft in the internal pressure rises with displacement. When this happens, it can either pop the caps off or more likely leak out through the seals, and now you have leaks. Again.

Most of you that fill with a planned rebound do so by eye and feel, which is only as accurate as your guess. Furthermore, let's say you have an expensive "shock tuner" and dial in the exact same amount of "rebound" (IMO, another word for "an overfilled shock" ) Now you get it out on the track and start hammering it, and the preceding events will begin to occur - in an effort to equalize the pressure inside the shock, the oil iis going to start leaking or pop a cap. Since this is going to occur at different rates on all four wheels, your finely tuned "overfill" is going to be different for each wheel. How accurate is that?

Not very. To properly fill an AE offroad shock, fill it to the top, bounce the shaft up and down to get the bubbles out, then push the shaft to within 1/4" of the top of the body, forcing out any excess. There should be a lens-shaped bubble of oil on the top, cap it off. Perfect. When you move the shock in and out and let go at any point, it should move no more than 1/8" or not at all.

As for caps - been using plastic ones since the original 10T days (which I still have, click for pics) and have never popped a single one with correct shock filling.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hahaha, you just described the way I fill em up. Put piston 1/4 from top, fill to convex, put caps on. Works great that way. I may try some bladders soon though. I rebuilt/filled a set of ofna hyper 7 shocks last weekend, man those were the easiest shocks I've ever done!!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Part numbers for the caps?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

You can just drill your aluminum caps and thread a grub screw from a pinion or something in there...
Old 03-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

You are asuming I have talent

Good idea though, maybe what I will do is get some aluminum caps and do a set and try them out.

You have a PM
Old 03-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

You are asuming I have talent
LOL I've never done it either, just heard about it.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Would rather get the caps and screw so i know it is correct.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by rocknbil

As for rebound...

...and here I was, thinking that I was the only person out there having this problem. It took me less time to build up the T4, than to get the shocks set up "right". Thanx for the tip.

TC

CoBroRa/TAOB
Old 03-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Tech Addict

Can anyone give us a part number for the yoko caps? I have no idea what to even ask for. Will I need to get new bushings (eyelet over screw) as well?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

the number is YOK YS8Y. dont be afraid to put rebound in your shocks.

Team Fusion
Team Tekin
BKPaintwerks.com
Old 03-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by t4usee
the number is YOK YS8Y. dont be afraid to put rebound in your shocks.

Team Fusion
Team Tekin
BKPaintwerks.com
Thanks, I called my LHS earlier today (the person I talked to actually has this on his truck and buggy also) and they had enough for 3 cars. I put enough for 2 on hold and going to get them in the morning.