Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

I have an xray T4 using the standard servo saver, sanwa 801 servo, sanwa exzes. Im having trouble setting up the steering. As per instructions I have put the servo saver vertical to the chassis, the 2 steering arms are the same length asper instructions. Im using a little subtrim but not much, but to get the steering equal both sides I would have to use a load of epa on one side ?? Im cant see how this can be with everything the same legnth and centred surely it should line up ?? I hate setting the steering as I always struggle with it. Must be an easier way. Is it ok to have the left/right EPA so far out ? Any advise or tips would I would be grateful
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FLAT OUT
I have an xray T4 using the standard servo saver, sanwa 801 servo, sanwa exzes. Im having trouble setting up the steering. As per instructions I have put the servo saver vertical to the chassis, the 2 steering arms are the same length asper instructions. Im using a little subtrim but not much, but to get the steering equal both sides I would have to use a load of epa on one side ?? Im cant see how this can be with everything the same legnth and centred surely it should line up ?? I hate setting the steering as I always struggle with it. Must be an easier way. Is it ok to have the left/right EPA so far out ? Any advise or tips would I would be grateful
How far out?

Use a setup station to ensure you have the same amount of lock each side, then make sure the metal centre link of the steering is exactly in the centre of the car with the steering at 'neutral'

Skiddins
Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by FLAT OUT
You may actually want to lean the servo saver a little towards the battery side. Try to make a 90* angle if you look at the center of the servo screw to the center of the ball end, then the link to the swing rack. And of course as Skiddins said, make sure the swing rack is as close to center as you can possibly get.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Personally, I have the best luck when I set the angle between the steering link and my servo saver at 90 degrees. In this way, the servo saver will actually lean in towards the top deck a bit when centered.

On both of my cars my endpoints are within 1 point. I have a formula that I follow when setting my endpoints but it escapes me right now.

Here is a quote I got from Xpress and I find it invaluable. I use this method on every car and my steering feels much more consistent.

"You just need to adjust the sub-trim and link length to make the end point values equal. If you have a higher endpoint value turning right shorten the link and adjust the sub-trim so the vehicle tracks straight. If you have a higher endpoint value turning left lengthen the link and re adjust subtrim so the vehicle tracks straight. It takes a little time to get right, but it all centers around having the proper angle between the servo saver arm and angle and length of the link connecting to the bellcrank."

You don't want the ball stud on the servo saver directly above the servo output. You need a 90 degree angle between the link and the servo output shaft/ballstud line.

Now, this was advice for my t3-11/12 and I find the T4 is much more close to staight up and down than m,y T3 was. My endpoints are exactly the same however.

Basically it comes down to this...

higher endpoint right = shorten link, recenter using subtrim
Higher endpoint left = lengthen link, recenter using subtrim

Before starting make sure your steering links are the same length.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

im using a sanwa 801 low profile servo, im also using a shorter servo link as the standard kit one is to long
Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I posted this a month or so back now, but it's how I centered my steering throw with equal travel on the radio...

Using the inner hole of the Xray servo saver, shorten the link to suit, ignore the recommended link length in the T4 manual, it needs to be a lot shorter.

If you look at the build manual for the TOP Photons, it tells you to create like a right angle with the arm to link, I think it's all got to do with the arc and how that effects travel in both directions, you need to compensate for that to get perfectly even throw on the radio.

Oh and from my experience, it does make a difference to how the cars steering feels, it feels a lot more balanced left to right when you get it right.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looking forward to reviewing the new car. I hope they fix the steering.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Do the graphite arms for the T4 wear less than the standard stock "hard" arms?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey guys.
i'm looking into getting one of these kits since i loved my t3'11 but i cant seem to find them on amain to get a ball park price. seems like a lot of online stores dont have it either. whats up with that? is a newer version of the car coming out soon? thank you in advance
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Yes, early next month is what I have heard from a very reliable source. I would assume the 2013 car is out of stock everywhere and will not get any more. Hold off a few more weeks!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

RCMARKET says October 6th still. Not sure when RCA will get them, generally it seems like market is a few weeks ahead at least when it comes to parts.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

RCMarket seems to be the first place to get new kits/items. Sometimes before the official announcement from Xray. RCMarket is cheaper although that depends on how big your order to offset the shipping. I have used both express and regular shipping. Express stays in customs usually a day maybe less while regular/first class seems to be 2-4 days.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone try pararacer spur gear on the t4 ?
Should i have to use a different spacer or not.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manson
Anyone try pararacer spur gear on the t4 ?
Should i have to use a different spacer or not.

Thanks
Panaracer gears fit fine, but the tooth area is thicker than the Xray gears. The belts run pretty close to the teeth. The center of the gear is actually a little thinner than the kit gears. I put a .1mm shim over each screw hole before pressing the gear on the layshaft otherwise the pulley on the screw side will have a little bit of a gap between the spacer and e-clip.

I probably wouldn't buy them again, but I bought 3 of them and am just making use of them.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Do the graphite arms for the T4 wear less than the standard stock "hard" arms?
Anyone? Or is it better just to get new stock arms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.