Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Skiddins, how much rear toe are you using?

My experience with the T4 is at our local asphalt track, however, the track is extremely high bite when they spray it with VHT. One night, they were experimenting with more track additive after the races. Before the extra additive I was running 11.3 and 11.2 second laps, post the additive the lap times became 11.7's and 11.8's. As I had just gotten my car I had pretty much 0 option parts to find the speed. Luckily, the car has been very responsive to geometry changes.

The first thing I did was remove rear toe. I went from having 1.0mm shims in between the rear suspension blocks and the bulkhead to 0.5mm shims. The car got better. Next, I reduced Droop by turning each screw about 1/8 of a turn clockwise. I also shortened the wheelbase by 1mm in the rear. Alll the adjustments made the car less stuck and lap times started dropping. Next I went to the second hole from the outside on the front shock tower to increase mid corner rotation and lastly I lowered the inside camber links to only 1mm underneath all 4. I am also running the shortest links all around. After all the changes were made, I was able to get my lap times down to 11.0.

While I know the surfaces are different, the feeling of a car being too stuck is the same from my experience on both carpet and asphalt- all the adjustments I used, should work on both surfaces to "free up the car" and get more corner speed.

I have followed the thread for a while and noticed some people have said that the car lacks corner speed in certain circumstances, however with my limited time with the car, my favorite thing about it has been the corner speed and acceleration characteristics. What would be interesting to find out is what adjustments people have been trying on their cars to get them to reduce traction in high grip conditions.
Hi Christian

I was running 3deg rear toe, only real differences were 2.7 rear springs and a 1.3mm rear roll bar (all of which was also used in the video along with 1 hole uprights)
Next weekend we have our winter national at the same venue using boosted 10.5's so I'll go back to the safer setup and see what happens in practice.

The grip isn't that high, we were on (and will be using next weekend over two days) Sorex 32JB's and we never end up with a black racing line appearing.
Next weekend should end up with higher grip, but I will also have to race against Ollie Jeffries etc.

Thanks
Skiddins

P.S. Still have your 51mm DCJ's in the front
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Hi Christian

I was running 3deg rear toe, only real differences were 2.7 rear springs and a 1.3mm rear roll bar (all of which was also used in the video along with 1 hole uprights)
Next weekend we have our winter national at the same venue using boosted 10.5's so I'll go back to the safer setup and see what happens in practice.

The grip isn't that high, we were on (and will be using next weekend over two days) Sorex 32JB's and we never end up with a black racing line appearing.
Next weekend should end up with higher grip, but I will also have to race against Ollie Jeffries etc.

Thanks
Skiddins

P.S. Still have your 51mm DCJ's in the front
What additive were you using? Were you prepping your tires different to the other guys? Your car in that video just looks like it had 0 grip and it looked like tire prep rather than setup and was anything binding?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by defcone
What additive were you using? Were you prepping your tires different to the other guys? Your car in that video just looks like it had 0 grip and it looked like tire prep rather than setup and was anything binding?
That's why I'm thinking it was the rear uprights causing the handling issues, earlier in the day my car was very stable while others were struggling with rear grip.
I had the same additive and routine all day.

I will change the rear uprights back to kit and see how the safer setup fairs when running boosted 10.5

Skiddins
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone been using Sweep 36's?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

What are the 1 hole rear uprights supposed to offer/change handling wise?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That's why I'm thinking it was the rear uprights causing the handling issues, earlier in the day my car was very stable while others were struggling with rear grip.
I had the same additive and routine all day.

I will change the rear uprights back to kit and see how the safer setup fairs when running boosted 10.5

Skiddins
If traction is low 3.0 degrees of rear toe might not be enough. If the car does not generate enough grip, then corner speed will be low. Maybe try 1.0 or 1.25 of rear shims instead of the std 0.75mm? Toe in is usually the first adjustment I work with when I go to different tracks, based on the amount of grip. I might even adjust it as the day goes on and the grip comes up.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1
I think thats the point of the 1.1mm shim
as it is necessary in low traction situations
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys ,

I have been running my T4 for about a month now and slowly learning all the in's and outs to driving and tuning the car .

However I have the kit setup currently on my car and running 1000sct diff oil .

I have found that the car is pushing during corner entry ...I guess pushing on power ?

The back feels fine to me at least and grips fairly well I just feel that if I can get more bite in the front end I will increase my lap times .

My track is low-meduim traction.

Any suggestion on what I can do would be great .

Thanks in advance ,
Will,
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yunowill
Hey guys ,

I have been running my T4 for about a month now and slowly learning all the in's and outs to driving and tuning the car .

I have found that the car is pushing during corner entry ...I guess pushing on power ?

The back feels fine to me at least and grips fairly well I just feel that if I can get more bite in the front end I will increase my lap times .

Thanks in advance ,
Will,
Which basic set up? Carpet or asphalt.
You can start by leaning the front shocks a hole. Or drop the inner front camber link a millimeter.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hey guys, where are you running the link on the servo saver? Low center hole or high center? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys ,

Thanks in advance ,
Will,
Sounds like you are describing push OFF power rather than on power. Try front shocks down a hole and add some more rear droop.

Regards,

Simon
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WNRacing
Hey guys, where are you running the link on the servo saver? Low center hole or high center? Thanks.
In the lower hole, it gives better 'resolution' to the steering which increases accuracy (it will also make the steering fractionally slower)

You would also have to file a little off the servo saver as it will hit the steering posts due to the extra movement allowed when using the lower hole.

Skiddins
Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys ,

Thanks in advance ,
Will,
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I have to ask how long have you been running touring car? The reason is normally you should be off power going into a turn, and at the apex of the turn back on power to pull out of the turn. I have found that 2000 diff oil in the rear seems to work for me, and this past weekend I ran 3000 and liked it. BUT, the entire setup may change. Currently I am running Andrew Hardman's set up from Snowbirds. I used his 13.5 setup for my 17.5 car. Also, if your grip is low to medium, I would put medium rear uprights on. I have noticed that to help a lot. I feel the box stock set up is a very safe starting point for high grip tracks.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

In the lower hole, it gives better 'resolution' to the steering which increases accuracy (it will also make the steering fractionally slower)

You would also have to file a little off the servo saver as it will hit the steering posts due to the extra movement allowed when using the lower hole.

Skiddins
Thank you. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adam B
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I have to ask how long have you been running touring car? The reason is normally you should be off power going into a turn, and at the apex of the turn back on power to pull out of the turn. I have found that 2000 diff oil in the rear seems to work for me, and this past weekend I ran 3000 and liked it. BUT, the entire setup may change. Currently I am running Andrew Hardman's set up from Snowbirds. I used his 13.5 setup for my 17.5 car. Also, if your grip is low to medium, I would put medium rear uprights on. I have noticed that to help a lot. I feel the box stock set up is a very safe starting point for high grip tracks.
I've been running 1500 in the diff for awhile now. I went to 3000 over the weekend and it was great! The car had ridiculous on-throttle grip both front and rear (no push).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.