Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jampot
Why would you do that? U have no movement 1 fixed position for the screw with a nut less chance of tweak?

I think you'll see a massive improvement with the shocks in all honesty.
you have more chance of tweak with a nut, as it can move in big hit... simple. Given that it's the motor mount, thats the last thing you want to move because you've got a big lever acting on it (the motor), and any movement and your gonna strip your spur... A threaded alloy block ain't gonna move unless you bend it.

I have reservations on the short shocks personally..
Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Quite... as is the norm, massively over-hyped. And seriously, with all that 'major R&D plan' they couldn't remove the nut holding the front of the motor mount with a bit of threaded alloy? come-on...
Why would you do that? U have no movement 1 fixed position for the screw with a nut less chance of tweak?

I think you'll see a massive improvement with the shocks in all honesty.
you have more chance of tweak with a nut, as it can move in big hit... simple. Given that it's the motor mount, thats the last thing you want to move because you've got a big lever acting on it (the motor), and any movement and your gonna strip your spur... A threaded alloy block ain't gonna move unless you bend it.

I have reservations on the short shocks personally..
Just a thought....perhaps the motor mount is slotted at the front mounting point. It looks as though the mount bolts thru the layshaft bulkhead and down to the chassis at the front. This would allow you to shim the motor mount closer to the centerline of the car to alter balance.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Xpress
Just a thought....perhaps the motor mount is slotted at the front mounting point. It looks as though the mount bolts thru the layshaft bulkhead and down to the chassis at the front. This would allow you to shim the motor mount closer to the centerline of the car to alter balance.
Yup, I'll agree with that, does look like you can move the motor mount in the way you mention... but I stand by the original statement, why have the front slotted, with a potential to move. Surely Xray in all their apparent design expertise, can't make a mount that you shim front and rear? it's certainly not hard to do, with a more secure mounting point.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes the draw backs of Xray's "cheap and easy shim system" makes no sense. They hang on to it because it's cheaper for production and reduces machining costs. Again Xray will eventually come to their senses or customer pressure. It's finally happened with the shocks.

I really hope Xray will make them as option parts for those that want them. It would be beneficial to Xray to sell more parts. Those that want the best of what Xray has to offer and get the features they want.

I must say I'm not fond of the motor mount. I would have rather seen a larger surface and finned motor mount. In my book the new car would have been spot on perfect with these two features. I love the short shock system, and the rest of Xray's great features like Gear diffs, cvds, a chassis that's not swiss cheese for carpet guys. I'll be ordering one with the hopes of seeing these as options later.

Originally Posted by BJS414
It is faster because there is less friction in the suspension with Tamiya style blocks.
There is alot of diffrent forces acting on the suspension arm hinge pin while cornering. This increases the friction in the suspension more on the xray system than the other manufacturers system.
On the others system the steel pivot ball is perfectly aligned to the susp arm hinge pin.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sounds like some of you should just get different cars.
Simple enough?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

I ordered two from Lou. See Andrew Hardman's T4 run in Vegas next week and at Lou's Speedway near London Ontario Canada in two weeks at the 2012 Fall Fiasco. Great chance for Canadians to get a look at the car up close.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sean B.
Simple enough?
Quite, that's why I have. Doesn't stop me given my valid opinion on the topic of it's design. Constructive criticism is the term used.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean B.
Simple enough?
Most of us have....
Old 09-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Regular

Quite, that's why I have. Doesn't stop me given my valid opinion on the topic of it's design. Constructive criticism is the term used.
Are you still running the A700?

Speaking from personal experiences......that car has more design faults than any other on the market! Although it does also have some great designs.

What car is perfect?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

I general I like the improvements over the T3, I'm not in love with the shape of the chassis but if it works what it looks like is of little importance. I do have serious reservations about the motor mount though, the motor it still being held on by two screw but they are closer together and the motor is being held in only one axis, there is much more leverage on those screw is now, I think at club level where there are a lot more hits we will see bent motor screws and stripped spur gears.

Bb
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mb3195
Are you still running the A700?

Speaking from personal experiences......that car has more design faults than any other on the market! Although it does also have some great designs.

What car is perfect?
going off topic... but no car is perfect, just some less perfect than others
(and no, Serpent now, very good, but does have it's issues!)
Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm glad i kept my T3 12 because I'm not very impressed really. I don't warrent spending £350+ on a car that is only a few items different to what i have. And as for that motor mount, well, one big hit and it's game over.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RSCosworth
I'm glad i kept my T3 12 because I'm not very impressed really. I don't warrent spending £350+ on a car that is only a few items different to what i have. And as for that motor mount, well, one big hit and it's game over.
In all honesty If I had a t3 12 I would of preordered by now. If we all had the attitude of not much has changed, well I will sell my TCXX and cancel my order of bd7 and blow the dust of my tc3 or sst 99 pro! Because that has 4 wheels a place for my servo and battery's!

It the small changes that make the big differences.

Just my opinion. Jay
Old 09-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

In all honesty If I had a t3 12 I would of preordered by now. If we all had the attitude of not much has changed, well I will sell my TCXX and cancel my order of bd7 and blow the dust of my tc3 or sst 99 pro! Because that has 4 wheels a place for my servo and battery's!

It the small changes that make the big differences.

Just my opinion. Jay
agreed, plus you wont be spending £350+ as you will get a decent amount for the '12 when you sell it.

When has a car actually made HUGE performance upgrades from one year to the next? Looks to me like this car will be quicker, simply as the COG is in a much better place.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tcxx copy

Well , it looks like xray begin to be a copier , I know it diffecult to find new things , but the T4 is a HB Tcxx copy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.