Mugen MTX-4

Old 05-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well that fuel tank mod seems to be a nice touch ended up Qualifying 3rd and came 3rd in the main and beating my personal best for a 5 min mod well worth it i suggest you all try it
Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
well that fuel tank mod seems to be a nice touch ended up Qualifying 3rd and came 3rd in the main and beating my personal best for a 5 min mod well worth it i suggest you all try it
What fuel tank mod ? Some pics perhaps ?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
What fuel tank mod ? Some pics perhaps ?
I believe that NJ is refering to lowering the tank with o-rings/ spacers to bring down the CG a bit!
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yeah its nothing special but every little bit counts
Old 05-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Tech Champion

Ohh I see..... low cg fuel tank
Old 05-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

update on the striping gears issue for mtx4 drivers

i had a lightweight steel 2 speed shaft installed since the car was built, (apporx 1 year ago) well it showed some signs of wear near the one way bearing and the 2 speed housing area, although nothing that would "seem" to cause striping.

well i have been stripping gears every 5 minutes lately, and have tryed everything, and i mean everything (replaced all components from back end, and also cut down the carby ball end so it is smaller) well the last thing i changed was the 2 speed shaft, and since then i did not strip a gear....yet.

so if you are stripping gears it may well be a worn out 2 speed shaft, put in a new one, as the wobble you get from a worn shaft on the 2 speed housing may be enough to cause stripping.

honestly i think the issue is that mugen designed the pinion and spurs wrong. the teeth on the pinnion do not contact enough of the spur (ie only 1 full tooth makes contact, and another 2 just grab half a tooth)
Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ive been watching my spur gears and they dont look so hot today. But Ive got aluminum pinions and they are getting pretty funky and sharp. I never should have run this motor around in a parkinglot but had to do some tuning and shaking down before a race.

Also an update on todays race. I came in first place and got TQ. Pretty happy with that. Also considering I was breaking in my motor at the track , then for the qualifier and a-main. I was still running it rich. Then to top it all off. My motor was still pretty rich on the low-end to where it would shut down in probably in less than 10 seconds if you didnt touch the throttle.

Well it shut down during a refuel , my pitman ran over to my table , restarted the car. Which he had no clue how to work my starter box , its just flat no pegs so its tricky if you dont know where to go with it. Lost about 45 seconds , was placed back on the track and TADA was still in first.

Then 30 seconds to go , car tapped a corner and shut down. I was so mad and even better yet my pitman which his race was next was no where to be seen. (Its ok I lost him a race too). Luckily enough I was still 2 laps ahead even with 30 seconds lost. So if I didnt mess up I probably would have had 5 laps on even the 2nd place guy. Whos motor was well tuned.

My car had a very noticable and very slow sound to it , but I just held down the throttle until it would gain speed. I actually kinda like it driving like that and it looks like the picco engine luck is back cause I won the same way before breaking in the motor. Makes me think I should tune my low-ends kinda rich cause it doesnt give you that snappy uncontrollable launch but a more subtle kick , then you get ready and point the car and the power comes in like 1-2 seconds after.

Either way I was laughing. To top it all off , I ran the same tires for all the qualifiers and the main , never trued them once. The rear tire was also nicely chunked up. Good times.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just some quick notes...

Francis M: That clutch setup you gave me worked perfect.

Car Breaker: Meshed it like you said and didn't have any problems all day. The car took some pretty rough tumbles with no gear stripping.

Jo Gutierrez: Reverted back to stock pinions and the 2-speed shoe adjustment is right on the mark. Even gave it to a friend that had to adjust his shoes just before a race so it wouldn't shift so hard and the shift point was perfect for him.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Ive been having a little trouble with shifting as well. Its all over the place. I got rid of the hard shift by expanding the shoes to where its about to touch the outter housing with enough space for it to spin perfectly free.

But it still just shifts odd, sometimes too early and a lot of the times too late. I try to adjust and then it just shifts or stays in 2nd. Its really kinda annoying. I got an ok setting by the end of the day, but it still was revving out too far in 1st.

Im running stock everything , except for 18/24 pinion gear combo. In my r40 I set the 2speed and that was that. I also notice the car goes in and out of 2nd sometimes where you applying speed on mid speed corners. Pretty annoying.

Im going to take a look at possibly using the springs , shafts or whole 2 speed shoe from the r40 and see if it fits or works. If so this could solve problems for that. My friend at the track also complains of the same. Inconsistent.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Car Breaker
Copy paper is too thick, if you use paper method, go with paper thickness equivalant to those used in a dictionary or Best Buy reciept.

when I mesh my gear, I don't use paper, I just try to have it that when pinion hold still, the spur can move no more than you can just feel it move and no more than that.
i am reviving it for those suffered from chronic gear stripping syndrome

Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Car Breaker
i am reviving it for those suffered from chronic gear stripping syndrome

CGSS aint no joke.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
CGSS aint no joke.
That's for sure. The guy I helped yesterday stripped his 2nd gear in all 3 mains yesterday. Gear mesh was fine. Last race he adjusted his 2-speed shoes per my instruction so it wouldn't shift so hard and he still stripped his 2nd gear. Looks like he is going to have to breakdown his car and figure out where the problem is.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Ive been having a little trouble with shifting as well. Its all over the place. I got rid of the hard shift by expanding the shoes to where its about to touch the outter housing with enough space for it to spin perfectly free.

But it still just shifts odd, sometimes too early and a lot of the times too late. I try to adjust and then it just shifts or stays in 2nd. Its really kinda annoying. I got an ok setting by the end of the day, but it still was revving out too far in 1st.

Im running stock everything , except for 18/24 pinion gear combo. In my r40 I set the 2speed and that was that. I also notice the car goes in and out of 2nd sometimes where you applying speed on mid speed corners. Pretty annoying.

Im going to take a look at possibly using the springs , shafts or whole 2 speed shoe from the r40 and see if it fits or works. If so this could solve problems for that. My friend at the track also complains of the same. Inconsistent.
How does the car shift with the stock gears and what engine is your friend using?
Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Posted on the NT1 thread...

Originally Posted by JLock
Can't quite put my finger on it. My MTX3 is pretty much box stock with only the 0.8 pitch gears and hollow two speed shaft being my only hop-ups. The engine of choice: stock OS 12tz. My MTX4 is box stock. The engine of choice in that one: Max Power MF 12 s3. I think the engine is playing a part in it: OS-managable power, Max Power-wild a$$ power. The only evidence that I have is in lap times at races. Just attended a race in Mississippi and qualified with my MTX4. My fastest lap in qualifying, 18.2 sec with consistent lap times in the mid 18s. I decided to pull out the MTX3 for the main due to not being satisfied with my runs on the MTX4, turn my fastest lap of the day at a low 17 sec with many laps in the upper 17 secs to low 18 secs consistently. Again, both cars are set up the same and I used the tires off my 4 on the 3 in the main. I pretty much use the Stratus 3.1 for all my touring cars now.
Have you tried swapping engines? Wild a$$ power can be a handful at times. I find that the TZ is too slow to play catch-up if you lose a few positions, but I drive pretty consistently. CRF is much faster, but I find it much harder to drive consistently. Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Can anyone of you explain to me the correct way to install the thrust bearing? Does the larger bore side go on the motor side or the screw side.

The inst. to me seem kinda vague. It refers to a part# I cannot find.

Thanks
Derek

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.