Tamiya TA03f

Old 07-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Tamiya TA03f

I just got my first on-road car, a Tamiya Ta03 off E-bay and I have some questions about it.

I just ran it yesterday for the first time with the stock can motor in it and I have tosay that I am not all that impressed. I have 2 monster trucks and I think that they are faster than it even with stock cans.

Anyway, I want it to perform better (faster).

1. What motor can this car handle without damage to it?
2. Is there anyway to correct the understeer? Its turning radius is way too wide.
3. Should I put a larger pinion in it? The one it came with was 14 tooth.
4. Any other suggestions to get this thing to go at a decent speed?

Thanks for your help,
Old 07-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

what speed control do you have? most can handle a competition stock motor, so look into motors such as the reedy mvp or trinity p2k or p2k2. you can also put a larger pinion with the motor that came with the car.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Make sure the car has bearings in it. Try a speed gem motor and get your self a set of .04 gears for the car. The are white spur gears, I think your spur gears are black.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

crookedlawyer

You should checkout "Veteran Tamiya TA03 Fan" Thread. It has tons of information about the car.

What type of equipment (ie. motor, esc, batteries) do you have? A decent "Stock" motor like the pk2 or mvp with some match battery pack should make a big difference. I am able to keep up with the current TC's with match 2000 packs. Are you running the silver can motor that came with the original kit? If so, it is not that fast to begin with. I would consider buying a pk2 or mvp.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

14 tooth is way small... I am running 19/21 at the moment.
"Veteran Tamiya TA03 Fan" Thread
Old 07-18-2002, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I just bought a used Paradox Pro but I think there is something wrong with it since it fairly slow. I think it needs new brushes.
Ya, rowdyjr, it has the black spur gears.

I checked out that other thread, but it is so long and there is so much filler that it is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks guys
Old 07-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Did you change your gearing?
Old 07-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check your bearings...

I also got my 03 used... It was slow with the johnson motor that came with... dismantled it and checked all bearings, replaced two big ones on the axles...

Check also the belt, it might be too tight. While the belt is off, uncover the gears and remove the pinion. Try pushing it and check how far it freewheels. Correct as necessary...

Pop off the shocks and check for any binding...

If you still find any problem, grab a beer and start copy-pasting the entire veteran TA03 thread... That's what I did along with threads like the "Faster cornering like a Pro" etc...

Old 07-19-2002, 01:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Rough512;

you're here too huh,

nice words man, grab some beer and read a lot of text.

crooked;

change ur pinion gears to 20-25T or beter yet, go grab some .04P and white gears. You'll notice the difference in speed and handlng. And yes, buy some 3000mah juice and 8turns motor and go, go, go, pump, pump,pump then go back to the nearest LHS and buy some rplacements

UNDERSTEERING; yeah, that a prob with 03s', they tend to understeer more than the other tamiyas. i got an 03f myself, guess what i did to compensate for the loss on steerings,

I lift the rear more than the normal settings, more than -2 degs of camber in front, stiffer springs at the back, soft inserts at the rear tyres and away she goes. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh...................................Yeahhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (THUG)

i hit the markers and fly baby fly

that's fun
Old 07-19-2002, 06:30 AM
Tech Initiate

It's possible that the belt may be too tight since I have the tensioner screwed all the way down.

I think I am going to go out and buy a 15 turn motor for it and something around a 20 tooth pinion. I'll also check out new spur gears.

Then I'll let you know how it runs.

Thanks guys
Old 07-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

19T Dbl is a pretty good choice combined with a 23-25T pinion gear + some good punching batt packs.

Changing the stock pulleys front and rear to 15T add some speed

Softer compound tires as well will nail you down the tracks and most of all lots of practices to beat those damn corners.

may all the marshalls be with us always
Old 07-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get rid of the dog bone in the front and replace them with some universals
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA03f-sk2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

crookedlawyer

Here's a few things that haven't been mentioned. You should figure out what the internal gear ratio is on the car so you can calculate the final gear ratio. Your instruction probably doesn't spell it out that way, but may have a chart that says what final ratio you get with what pinion gears. If you plan to run a 24 degree stock motor, gear around 6.00:1 and tune from there. If you plan to run a modified motor, you will want to gear considerably higher since most of those motors have more torque at higher rpms. Your instruction manual should give you some guidance. As fas as your push problem goes, I would look at changing tires/inserts before doing anything else. This, of course, assumes that the steering is working properly. The tire is the most course adjustment you can make to the handling of the car. Softer = more grip Harder = less grip. You choose a tire based on track conditions and track temp. You want the car to have enough grip to stay under control, but you also want it to slide around so you can carry a lot of speed through turns. Too much grip and you scrub off a lot of speed in the turns. You'll have to experiment to see what works best on your track. You might also talk to other racers and see what tires they are using. Most guys in my area run medium or hard tires with medium inserts. Yokomo Sprint medium, Pit Shimizu 24 and 27 and TakeOff 27's are very popular on the tracks that I run at and all work very well. Most guys run HPI green inserts, but many others are similar. You'll probably read a lot of stuff about guys converting their 03F to 03R. I'd suggest that you leave it in the front motor configuration. That was what made the car really good compared to other cars of the era. It is one of the easiest cars to drive in the F configuration. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default More speed

I run a few speed cars, I use my gearing to achieve better speeds. I would change the brushed motor out for a brushless sensored motor anything 13.5 or lower should give you plenty of speed, I started at 13.5 because if you choose to race it most tracks require a 13.5t or 17.5t motor to race. Other things I would play with are changing the pinion spur gears, most of my cars that are in the 100mph class are using a 1:1 combo with 34t pinion and 34 the spur. You can adjust this to suit your car as I doubt you will be able to put that big of gear set in there. [email protected] has adapters that allow you to use mod 1 gears. Tire compound as others have mentioned is huge as well as shock and oil in the shocks. With a mid mount motor or rear motor I use 70 weight in back and 50 or 60 in the front, with very stiff Springs in the rear and medium strength Springs in front. Your car being a front mounted motor I'd try stiffening the front with the rear just a bit softer. I'd start with a medium grade tire and use a sticky compound like SXT Tire compound, you just apply it to your tires let it set for twenty minutes and wipe off the excess. Also try some foam tires out. When it comes to from tires the higher the shore number is the stiffer the foam is, on my speed run cars I use 45 shore foams on my tamiya tt01 and it handles like a champ. Also as others have mentioned start with good high amp batteries, use 3500 mahogany or higher.i run 5000mah 11.1v lipos in parallel on my cars, so basically I'm putting 22.2v volts to my motor and esc. Also when you upgrade your motor be sure to upgrade the esc also, and it probably wouldn't hurt to get a good high torque servo I use savox servos in all of my rc's. Only other advice I have is shop on EBay or Amazon to save some cash, drink a beer and have fun doing it. That's what these cars are for, a distraction from all the bullshit in life that we deal with.
Good luck and I hope this helped.