Wiki Posts
Search

V-ONE S Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default One Way

Hi guys,

Just got myself a V1S. I keep wondering what is a "front one way"? To my knowledge, a V1S has two diffs, that is why it's 4WD. Can you explain what is the benefit of having a "front one way" ?

...confused
Old 10-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Default one-ways

a one way only engages when the engine is accelerating, when you back off the front wheels are freewheeling where as a normal diff still has the differential action happening
For my mind the biggest advantage is it forces you to take the smoothest line possible as you cant use brakes!
Its not suitable for all tracks, I swap between one-way-50000wt diff and 5000wt diff depending on where im racing.
If youve only just started racing try 5000wt front and 3000wt rear
oils in your diff. Thats my 2c

GT

Attached Thumbnails V-ONE S Thread-one-way.jpg  
Old 10-28-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

Hey thanks Squizzy! You mean, the oil is in the absorber right?
Old 10-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Default re oil

No.............the oil is in the diff, by using heavier or lighter oil in the diffs you can alter the diff action from a really light action with 1000wt right through to a really agressive locked type diff with 50000wt and heavier.

As you get used to the car you'll develop your own driving style and set-up the car to suit and these cars are sooooooooooo
adjustable its great. If you go back through this forum youll find some set-ups from myself and some of the guys in the Phillipines and the US ,try them and experiment with your own,BUT be warned try 1 adjustment only at a time and keep a record of what your doing and how it effects the car and make small adjustments at a time.

These cars rock, Im currently up to 3 v-one-s' and a v-one-rr and I love playing with them all

GT

Attached Thumbnails V-ONE S Thread-imashowoff.jpg  
Old 10-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

Squizzy, that is one benefit of a one way in the front differential. However, while this is true for nitro touring cars, your statement has more effect on electric tourers because they have rubber tires on. Us nitro tourers generally run foam tires and that gives us much more grip and so the one way does more than just making you a smoother driver.

One ways give you much faster turn in. For some, this makes the steering of a one way equipped car to twichy. To understand why a one way gives the front so much more grip in the corner is due to its design in comparison to a differential. The outside front tire is the tire that rotates the fastest out of all four tires on the car ( assuming your not messing around with slip angles, ie power-sliding ), this is b/c when a car turns, the force of the car going forward is now being pushed sideways while going forward, and slows the car down and so, theoretically, when the rear reaches the position that the front tires had been in, they will not be rotating at the same speed. If a diff were in place of the one way, one of the four tires would be scrubbing quite a bit more speed off. With a one way, the front tires can rotate as fast as they need to prevent the tires from scrubbing speed durign the turn. If one ofthe front tires were to scrub off more speed than is necessary due to differential action, then this would cause the front end to push more, causing the sense of understeer.

one ways also can give nitro touring cars more steering out of the corner as well. But in order to get this boost in steering, you need relatively reduced differential action in the rear of the car. An example of this would be a solid differential or one with heavy silicone oil in it. This setup would allow you power out of the turn because the oneway would literally pull the rear end through the corner because the rear ends limited differential action would cause it to scrub, but you would be actually gaining speed because you would be accelerating and the front inside wheel would have 100% of the power from the engine, and the outside front wheel would be moving even faster than the inside front wheel.

Another advantage of a one way is that it doesn't matter so much during the race if one of the tires is not the exact same diameter as the other tire. The one way will prevent excessive drivetrain binding, but the handling would not be quite as good as it would be if the tires were the exact same diameter.

I hope I got most of that correct.

Personally, I like differentials all the way around better, because it gives me more consistent lap times.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Im2lazy,

To put it simple, a one way gives a better cornering, is that correct? But your last statement confused me a bit; why a one way gives you inconsistent lap time? Why cant we use brake when using one way?

Please explain
Old 10-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

You can use your brakes, but only to about 30% power of what they could do, since with a one-way when u stop accelerating the fron wheels free spin, so u only have brakes on the rear and the cars tend to want to slide around on the brakes extremely quickly, sort of when u rip the handbrake on in a real car.

But some ppl at my track run one-ways and they are very consistent
Old 10-29-2002, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Humm,

1. A one-way gives more grip in corner, so this will translate to better handling, correct?

2. Should I upgrade to one-way? I never experience a one-way so I dunno what it's like.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:55 PM
asd
Tech Addict

one ways should only be used on very smooth flowy tracks, with high traction, if its a tight track with tight corners and lots of turns
ur better off with jus a normal gear diff, cuase if u use a one way, u will gai nothing. hope this helps
Old 10-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

I'd stick with the normal diffs that are in it and just adjust oils in them since u r still learning to drive and u will want brakes while u learn to manuvere on the track, just dont use the brakes IN the corner use them b4.
and dont use them at high speeds just b4 entering a corner, it unsettles the car quite a lot unless u have really good set-up and high bite tyres

But just stick with the standard diffs and play with oils
Old 10-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Ahh, I get it

Think I should stick with my stock diffs.

Can you guys explain how to tune the diffs? What should I do?

BTW, thanks for the info, you guys have been really helpful

Old 10-29-2002, 07:04 PM
asd
Tech Addict

all have to do is dump out ur old diff oil and put i some new oil. as easy as 1,2,3
jus tighten the diff case tightly at all 4screws so it doesnt leak
Old 10-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

And u have to remember to have heavier oil in the front as well

u can use grease in them but oil is better.

i have to get some oil soon for my diffs.

But the rule is normally to have the rear at least 1 step lighter oil in the rear then what is in the front
Old 10-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

OK guys...time to mess with your heads, this is a v-one-r with a solid rear and front one-way and that is not a smooth flowing track. It just goes to show that the right driver with the right set-up is what it takes hey!
Man this blows me away.The download takes alittle while but it is worth it.(look for moon avi)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/rc

GT

Last edited by squizzytaylor; 10-29-2002 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:14 PM
asd
Tech Addict

by the way
go to the moon avi file, its a video
thats manticore, not fair,we're not up to his level
the thing is, he didnt use any brakes in this race(i belive, not sure)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.