Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Best Car to buy at the moment.. >

Best Car to buy at the moment..

Best Car to buy at the moment..

Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Tech Regular

Default Best Car to buy at the moment..

I do not want to make people fight with this post ..However there are quite a few cars which seem very nice. Capricorn seems very good car however i dont know how it is compared to other cars in terms of reliability durability and other factors and what is the support.

There are also:
mugen
serpent
Kyosho
Xray with the new pro version
Shepherd

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks a lot..!!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by didrace
I do not want to make people fight with this post ..However there are quite a few cars which seem very nice. Capricorn seems very good car however i dont know how it is compared to other cars in terms of reliability durability and other factors and what is the support.

There are also:
mugen
serpent
Kyosho
Xray with the new pro version
Shepherd

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks a lot..!!
It has a lot to do with your ability they are all good cars, the MTX5 seems to have quirky problems but in the right hands it's a weapon too.

Kyosho has fallen to the way side, the decision should be based on what others run at your track and your expectations. They all break when they come to a sudden stop, most have quirks all of them need a Hi performance engine to make them tick and finally it's up to which you like most!

PS: My son loved his Shepherd and would bag out his brother's Capricorn for fun, then he drove one and the mocking stopped abruptly...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

10th scale or 8th? I say the 747 for 10th scale. That thing is a work of art.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks a lot blis..

Both 1/8 and 1/10..
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Serpent 747 for 1/10

For 1/8 scale the Capricorn seems to be the car to have if you can afford it.
Other than the Cap. You can't go wrong with either the Shepherd,Mugen or Serpent. I think Serpent has something new coming in the not so soon future.

Pass you soon...
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

what bout Motonica?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PNT2000
what bout Motonica?
Just develop a good relationship with Garen Hagobian, the importer (motonica-usa.com). You're going to find that as nice as those cars are, you'll need to go to him for a lot of the parts you'll need. Thankfully, they are not that fragile...
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Just develop a good relationship with Garen Hagobian, the importer (motonica-usa.com). You're going to find that as nice as those cars are, you'll need to go to him for a lot of the parts you'll need. Thankfully, they are not that fragile...
oh i see...thx...
Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PNT2000
oh i see...thx...
Don't get me wrong, in Europe they're big. But in the US, they're a bit "boutique". But in the long run, what 1/8th scale isn't? Motonica is just a bit off the beaten path in comparison to mugen/Xray/Serpent...

I run the pan car (P8C) and it's tough as nails and drives really well. I'm just lucky that there are quite a few in our club, which if I do break something, makes it a bit easier to hunt down a part in the pit.

As long as you're willing to stock your pit bag with enough spares to fix minor "incidents", You'll love the car (I am assuming you are referring to the P81RS and not the P8C).
Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Full line of Motonica RS2 parts available here http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...dl&filter_cat= , and several shops on the east coast are now also stocking parts. You can also order direct and have parts in 2 days. Can't use parts supply as an excuse anymore. And really, what 1/8th 4wd on road racer doesn't have a bag full of parts, no matter the brand of car they run?

Pick whatever brand of car you like the most, they are all good cars. If you choose Motonica for 1/8th, you can count on service and support from me.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by garen
Full line of Motonica RS2 parts available here http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...dl&filter_cat= , and several shops on the east coast are now also stocking parts. You can also order direct and have parts in 2 days. Can't use parts supply as an excuse anymore. And really, what 1/8th 4wd on road racer doesn't have a bag full of parts, no matter the brand of car they run?

Pick whatever brand of car you like the most, they are all good cars. If you choose Motonica for 1/8th, you can count on service and support from me.
Precisely my point...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Try Motonica for 1/8 on-road. Some says it's the Lambo of 1/8 on-road car and I could not afford to oposse that and here's the reason why?

Scuderia Motonica '12, the P81 RS2:

When it comes to performance, it's a beast too. I maximized my time, building, studying and figuring the right set-up for it to fit here in our track (local). I upgraded it with some updates except for the new kevlar belts and partnered with the best engine, Vox.

HTH. Cheers
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

+1. The best guy around. You'll be glad to have him especially, when it comes to Motonica/ Vox/ Fiorini set-up. Had a great time dealing with him; very supportive and easy to transact with. BTW, it's been a while Garen. How are you now? Cheers.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Don't get me wrong, in Europe they're big. But in the US, they're a bit "boutique". But in the long run, what 1/8th scale isn't? Motonica is just a bit off the beaten path in comparison to mugen/Xray/Serpent...

I run the pan car (P8C) and it's tough as nails and drives really well. I'm just lucky that there are quite a few in our club, which if I do break something, makes it a bit easier to hunt down a part in the pit.

As long as you're willing to stock your pit bag with enough spares to fix minor "incidents", You'll love the car (I am assuming you are referring to the P81RS and not the P8C).
You can't go wrong with the RSē.

It's quick as hell and most importantly easy to set up.
It's one of the last "plastic cars" which is great. No expensive aluminum bulkheads that bend or break so easily and the car doesn't tweak.
With the new front end of the RSē the car became even more nimble.

Where we race, we started the season with 2 Motonica and now we are already up to 5 cars with more people looking to change for next year.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

I believe there is more room on a 1:8 scale to have the scope for design differences and evolution, in 1:10th things are a little more cramped and most cars have evolved similarly. And from a drivers point of view I'm stoked components from other cars will fit a C0-1. For performance you cant go past less rotating mass. The 2 speeds and transmission is smaller, diffs are smaller and this lends itself to failures. I cant speak for Serpents, I almost bought one myself, it was the predecessor to the 747 and what i found was that while the car was great value out of the box, the Race Spec upgrades bridged the gap in costs.

We opted for the V10 through parts availability. The build tolerances weren't great and it took a little experience to get it together. Grubs screws falling out etc, so best know how to build a tight car for V10.

Things changed and we lost availability and switched to the Capricorn. It's the best car for us, it's race spec out of the box, nice to work on and a better car than we are a team. It's important to be realistic and if everyone's running Xrays, V10's or 747's and you aren't going to TQ, you best add to the parts in the garage and enjoy racing.

The most expensive part of RC, is a DNF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.