Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
VTA, Club TC Racing ETC - Best, Highly Supported, Cheap Kit? >

VTA, Club TC Racing ETC - Best, Highly Supported, Cheap Kit?

VTA, Club TC Racing ETC - Best, Highly Supported, Cheap Kit?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default VTA, Club TC Racing ETC - Best, Highly Supported, Cheap Kit?

Ive been looking at:

Xray T3R
Associate TC4
Sakura Zero S

Those three, by price.

I would like to get a few VTA bodies, some TC bodies etc and just play/race have fun in an on road small carpet setup.

Anyone have input for me?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

a used T3 11 would be my pick if i had to do it all over again on a small budget
Old 07-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ironwolf1974
Ive been looking at:

Xray T3R
Associate TC4
Sakura Zero S

Those three, by price.

I would like to get a few VTA bodies, some TC bodies etc and just play/race have fun in an on road small carpet setup.

We have everything running at our track from t3's to tc3's. It really comes down to setup as far as success goes. I have found the X-rays to be very easy to setup. They also are the strongest cars on our track. We take some hard hits and I Hardly see an X-ray being picked up off the track due to broken parts. Can't say the same for AE and the other brands you mentioned.

I'd look at the X-ray myself. Here is a local one for sale. I can vouch for this car and seller, it is fast, and you won't find a car that has been better taken care of. It has all the upgrades too like gear diff, nicer axels, etc...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...plete-bnd.html
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Used TC6 or TC6.1 would get my vote. A couple clean 6.1s have sold in my area recently in the $200-250 range.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
We have everything running at our track from t3's to tc3's. It really comes down to setup as far as success goes. I have found the X-rays to be very easy to setup. They also are the strongest cars on our track. We take some hard hits and I Hardly see an X-ray being picked up off the track due to broken parts. Can't say the same for AE and the other brands you mentioned.

I'd look at the X-ray myself. Here is a local one for sale. I can vouch for this car and seller, it is fast, and you won't find a car that has been better taken care of. It has all the upgrades too like gear diff, nicer axels, etc...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...plete-bnd.html
I was looking at that but have been burned a few times here on RCTECH net with used stuff. I think Ill just get a kit.

I think the XRay would be good to.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the zero S and have run it in VTA. Car went well, no breakages. My 6 year old now run the same chassis in novice and it takes a fair beating trust me... The problem with a cheaper chassis is that the electrics, bodies and tires are not really that cheap. lol. the bodies would be the worst part as they all look so good you want them all
Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For brand new, the Associated TC4 racer chassis is the best bang for the buck. Every hobby shop can get Associated parts, and there's years of setup help for this car.

A used model of a newer car is also good, just make sure you can get parts for it easily. This is also the better option if you intend on moving up to a faster class.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Look into what everyone at your track is running. It makes getting parts easy. Also look into the price of replacement parts. I hear the Xray's part are a lot more than the TC4's.

I picked up a clean TC5 and for a first car it has been good car to learn about set up.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have both a TC4 and a T3R. The Xray is by far the nicer chassis but it is expensive to get parts for. If you get the Xray, you will want to get turnbuckles for it as it doesn't come with them. The TC4 is a good chassis and parts are plentiful and cheap.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Ive been looking at:

Xray T3R
Associate TC4
Sakura Zero S

Those three, by price.

Xray T3R.

More adjustments and better durability. JMHO...
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The Zero S is what I would suggest. I have seen quite a few these cars run VTA at a carpet facility here in FL and they are very, very competitive. Some have put on a few upgrades, but from what you mentioned of your intentions, I think you'd be very satisfied with it. Most racers are going to be inclined to give the nod to the xray but for VTA purposes and for keeping the cost down, the Zero S will be just fine.

If you visit the Florida forum and search for the Florida Indoor R/C complex, you'll see the Zero S guys (which is a great group of racers) and I'm sure they'll be willing to give you some proven set-ups.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

I was looking at that but have been burned a few times here on RCTECH net with used stuff. I think Ill just get a kit.

I think the XRay would be good to.
I can say, if you get burned from this guy I would eat my shoe. You won't find a better racer. Everything is as he has stated. You can trust him.

Additionally, if you are using PayPal, you should be covered if the items aren't as listed.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Yes, the. X-ray parts are more expensive than others, but my experience is that they don't break as much. I have been running my t3 for almost a year and. Haven't broken anything. The only thing that has taken me out of a race is a drive pin I didn't loctite.

The best advice is to get a car that will get you racing, and keep you racing. If you get and X-ray (which I recommend) but your local shop can't get parts than you aren't racing. Same goes for the other chassis mentioned. I would take a tc5 over the 4, but that is just me. I didn't like the way the tc4 drove and setup. My X-ray is much nicer in that regard.

Also, keep in mind the cost of putting a car together start to finish, the price can add up quick. If you buy a nice used car you an get racing that much faster. Just another plug for the above mentioned setup. He has been raing for longer than I have been alive and takes care of his stuff.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

What does your local hobby shop stock parts for? That and what others are driving will matter way more then what anyone here can tell you. All 3 can be decent cars when setup and driven correctly.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

yup..... buy some ones used xray car thats all tweak out....? y?
when you can buy a new car
a tc4 is a very old car with old tecknowledge and lots of parts to be had
if it was me Sakura Zero S would be the way to go . parts are a lot cheaper

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.