Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
I just need to know, easy question guys. >

I just need to know, easy question guys.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What is your opinion on this topic?
Racing is better now. (Brushless Motors & Lipo Cells)
76.69%
Racing was better before. (Brushed Motors & Nimh Cells)
3.76%
Racing is racing, I just don't care.
19.55%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

I just need to know, easy question guys.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I also see an issue with new racers coming in because all they seem to want to do is play video games. I discussed this with another member of an unrelated forum and his nephews wanted nothing to do with outdoors or anything other than video games. Plus there is no instant gratification. It takes a minimum of effort to set up a car, charge batteries and fix the car if it breaks and the younger generation is unwilling to put the effort in.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=
as mentioned before tracks seem to be limited, i don't really know "how it used to be" here in vancouver, but now it's tough to find places that cater to on-road with a decent track. we have maybe 3 places around town with regular events/track hours. limiting factor #3.
[/QUOTE]

i wish there was more in chicago:/
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by digitalsmithy
like cypress said, i'd kill if there was 3 near me i live in chicago and i think there's like 1 track an hr way with limited races...
I guess it depends on what side of the city you live on, but I was there earlier this year and I think there were two within an hours drive. Leisure Hours and Harbor Hobbies, right? Maybe I'm forgetting how long it took me to get to Winthrop Harbor.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ijdod
We do have trophies. The podium spots get a plastic disposable coffee cup with their name, position and date written on it with a marker. If they ask nicely the race director will even sign it . Costs nothing, and I've rarely seen people so happy with an empty cup
Not so sure I would be happy with a plastic disposable coffee cup. On the MACH we once received a small plexiglas trophy with a 3d lazer engraved Formule 1 car. Really looks amazing and rewarding to receive something like that. Looks a lot better than the plastic bowling trophies.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 07-31-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think the industry has evolved for the better. And I don't feel that prices have really gone up that much. When I was racing before brushless, I was spending $70 for cell batteries (then had to build the pack). Good motors were also in the $70-$100 range. What was the cost of the TC3 FT kit? $400? I bought the Futaba 3PKS for just under $400 when it came out. Tires cost about the same as they do today. I do find myself spending more on the off-road items, but that's primarily due to all the high powered electronics available today.

Personally, I believe a lot of the decline has to do with the availability of online gaming systems. Why spend $800 to $1K for a car, plus track fees when you can turn on your Xbox and race your buddies for $10 a month? Though its all "virtual", they make new friends and can work for "upgrades" on their fleet. Granted, for those of us that race, its not even close to being the same. And, for first time drivers, RC can be pretty frustrating.

I believe that if Clubs continue to offer reasonable track fees and offer beginner programs, then the hobby will continue to grow. People do enjoy getting out of the house. As veteran racers, we should continue to help out the new guys and do what we can to promote the local track/club. The manufacturers have given us everything we need and at a reasonable price. The rest is up to us
Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A TC3 FT kit was like $250.... Molded cars were definitely cheaper.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm in the center of the states and we have one 1/10th scale outdoor asphalt onroad track in my town and another indoor carpet track 75 miles away. Off road is more plentiful both indoors and out. The local track is only available race days as it isn't a permanent track. Practice is what I lack and it is hard to come by. Packing up and driving 75 miles each way to practice is not very cost effective for me or practical.

We raced last weekend and we had one guy drive up from another state (about 300 miles away) because he doesn't have a track there. He can go south to another state some 250 miles also. I've raced with others from the same region who made the trek just to race. It's not for a lack of desire, just a lack of venues. If we had a permanent onroad track in town, we would see more racers. I just need to win the lottery and build one...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Not so sure I would be happy with a plastic disposable coffee cup. On the MACH we once received a small plexiglas trophy with a 3d lazer engraved Formule 1 car. Really looks amazing and rewarding to receive something like that. Looks a lot better than the plastic bowling trophies.
It's the thought that counts, imho. :P

Also saves you the embarrasment of having the national championship trophy look cheap next to some of the individual GP trophies (Yes, I'm looking at you, NOMAC )
Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Okay, I'm one of the racing is racing guys. That being said, I've been racing for 25 or so years. My take on the current scene vs. the old scene is as follows:

Battery and motor maintenance is GREATLY decreased, expense is relatively the same. You're replacing things less frequently, but they cost significantly more, so that's about equal. It's good that we've cut down battery and motor maintenance, because now the cars are more complex in set-up. So to me, yet again pretty equal. Overall, there's still the quest for horsepower and a dialed chassis. The factors have changed but we're still looking for the thing. That's good in my opinion.

As far as turnouts, the economy is no help, but hardly the only reason. This hobby has always been cyclic in interest. Look at the last two big sweeping trends in the industry. In the 90's electric Off-Road was huge, it dominated the market. Enter the Touring Car, and on-road exploded. Big race turnouts at carpet races here in the US were gigantic, and parking lot tracks were EVERYWHERE. Then came the scourge of shortcourse, and an exodus of On-roaders to the new trend on dirt. It's just how this hobby has always gone. Eventually the pendulum will swing back to On-Road. In some places it's beginning to. There are racers dumping SC trucks, and picking up TC's and 12th scalers, and I really hope that continues.
+1

I am stunned to admit that for the first time (Maybe ever) I agree with your post. One of of 4,000 is not bad I guess
Old 07-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

like cypress said, i'd kill if there was 3 near me i live in chicago and i think there's like 1 track an hr way with limited races...
Similar situation for me here in maryland. I feel the lack of SHOP OWNER interest kills it as well. There arent many tracks around me, the closest one is a half hour away, next closest uses to be an hour but has since became an indoor offroad track (tides of the hobby) and now a newer track has opened in Middle river maryland, just outside of baltimore. This track is carpet and a great track, the owner has a family of racers and they are all very interested in it. This seems to draw more customers because its not like the newer guys have to wait until a saturday race day to talk to the experienced racers, they can come in any time and get started in the hobby. Without an interested, experienced shop/track owner it doesnt bring in much business compared to one that has an owner like that. The economy, as others have stated, doesnt help at all either. It seems to cause track to have a harder time stocking parts in the shop connected to it and this pushes people away, it hurts the upkeep of the running surface which also pushes people away when their car doesnt perform very well on say old carpet as apposed to newer carpet that you'll see at all the larger events. It seems on-road is beginning a small come back, but with short course and all these other off-road classes, it has really died off heavily in the 7 years that I have been racing. When i started it was 60 guys, easy, every saturday. Now we're lucky to get 20 or 30. The off-road track, about 80, every single weekend.

My $.02 for what its worth.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

OH YEAH I WOULD TOO!!! We went from three AJ's, Trackside, and Lesiure Hours to 1 in "The Track" I wish Eric would move south to a more central location to try to bring back on-road in the chicagoland area. (indoor carpet)

Btw there is a second but the neighborhood is beyond rough and I wouldnt go there for that reason and no running water.

As for the hobby I can atleast say one major thing. The money needed to start out in the hobby today is way less than what it was when it was when you ran brushed. Granted it may not seem that way at first.

I remember when 1200 mah was huge and you had to drop more money on batteries and motors. Then you had to put new brushes, springs, cut comms, etc. I remember the days when you were getting ready to go through a qualifier and you would be on the stand and they would call for a lineup and then everyone would turn on their cars and hope that 4 minutes later we didn't dump. I remember thinking how are we ever going to get more than 4 minutes. Now you can run so long on these packs.

My only gripe in on-road I still have a bunch of foam tires left.....

Btw---On-Road

Kits--not that much change in price
Battery---You can be competitive with a 50-60 dollar battery--used to be 100 plus with NIMH or NiCD
Motor--You can get for the same price as the older FireHawks etc. $60 range
ESC--Novak Cyclone TC $140 new....--Speed Passion GT 2.1 $130.

Thats mod or stock--To me its cheaper cause there is no maintenance anymore.

Last edited by NolanP; 07-31-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
+1

I am stunned to admit that for the first time (Maybe ever) I agree with your post. One of of 4,000 is not bad I guess
Every now and then something reasonable flows from my fingertips......
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Thumbs up

RC Racing is the best it's ever been...... Motors, batts, product in general is simply better...... From model airplanes and Helis to Mini-Z....it's simply better overall..... And with electronics taking over, it's in everything now.....

..... They say the economy, but I say, when you want to be in a hobby, you'll spend the money..... And another thing, when the attendance is down, I think sometimes its because the competition in your area is that good..... Because we're doing less in the pits and more tuning, drivers are getting better.... That's why stock spec especially in sedan blinky is so popular in my area (Jackson, nj)..... I've seen on a weekly basis the middle of the B Main be only 7 sec. Off TQ..... And sometimes that can bum some guys out and it can become a little cut throat and make some people bitter at times..... I know when I race with my Buds on Sat., I have to bring my A game if I want to compete...... You say we race for fun but sometimes it gets the better of us .... And racing is competing.....

....... Look, I don't want to get off topic..... But again, the hobby is the best it's been and there is something for everyone..... I've been racing for about 10 years and when I got in it, I had someone take me under his wing but right away he told me you have to start getting your own stuff and eventually work on your own stuff and I have enjoyed every minute of it...... Like was mentioned before the Club scene is what saved this hobby, I read somewhere once that only 1 per cent participate in organized racing..... It's a lot of work with many thankless hours involved running a club race but the end result is priceless and some of us need this in our lives......

Supporting your track and hobby shop is a start but your going to have to put in the work and listen...... And practice, practice, and more practice to achieve success...... Every hobby has it challenges or it wouldn't be a hobby...... I say the product is good, customer service is good and the club scene is willing to help you get on the right track..... And with everything else going on at the local track or flying field, what you put in is what you get out.....
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
RC Racing is the best it's ever been...... Motors, batts, product in general is simply better...... From model airplanes and Helis to Mini-Z....it's simply better overall..... And with electronics taking over, it's in everything now.....

..... They say the economy, but I say, when you want to be in a hobby, you'll spend the money..... And another thing, when the attendance is down, I think sometimes its because the competition in your area is that good..... Because we're doing less in the pits and more tuning, drivers are getting better.... That's why stock spec especially in sedan blinky is so popular in my area (Jackson, nj)..... I've seen on a weekly basis the middle of the B Main be only 7 sec. Off TQ..... And sometimes that can bum some guys out and it can become a little cut throat and make some people bitter at times..... I know when I race with my Buds on Sat., I have to bring my A game if I want to compete...... You say we race for fun but sometimes it gets the better of us .... And racing is competing.....

....... Look, I don't want to get off topic..... But again, the hobby is the best it's been and there is something for everyone..... I've been racing for about 10 years and when I got in it, I had someone take me under his wing but right away he told me you have to start getting your own stuff and eventually work on your own stuff and I have enjoyed every minute of it...... Like was mentioned before the Club scene is what saved this hobby, I read somewhere once that only 1 per cent participate in organized racing..... It's a lot of work with many thankless hours involved running a club race but the end result is priceless and some of us need this in our lives......

Supporting your track and hobby shop is a start but your going to have to put in the work and listen...... And practice, practice, and more practice to achieve success...... Every hobby has it challenges or it wouldn't be a hobby...... I say the product is good, customer service is good and the club scene is willing to help you get on the right track..... And with everything else going on at the local track or flying field, what you put in is what you get out.....
Awesome post Alex!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Thanks Bro!...... All the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.