Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift >

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by eunique
thanks for the links...I already have a set of the D3 hubs...need to order those knuckles.

LOL on the overspray! sorry, I haven't removed the overpay film yet I just cut out the film part of the hood and doors effectively using the film as outside masking. the outside gets a light coat of tint as part of the carbon fiber mod.

Orchard didnt have the correct carpet tape with closer weave for the CF...so I used this clear duct tape. guess it works
Hey look at this it's an XI zero front alloy knuckle I'm sure it will fit a D3

3-RACING-ZERO-S-XI-BLACK-ALUMINUM-FRONT-UPRIGHT
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickled
Hey look at this it's an XI zero front alloy knuckle I'm sure it will fit a D3
]
nice. thanks. I think I might have a spare plastic one of those. how do we do the mod? and how can I use that for what we want to achieve?

heres pics with overspray film removed and some stickers, light buckets and LED installed...with carbon fiber hood and doors.

I still need to assemble the intercooler and mount it to the chassis and make airdam openings bigger
Attached Thumbnails 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift-20121108_193144-273604901.jpg   3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift-20121108_193019-1507552777.jpg   3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift-20121108_1930541396443340.jpg   3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift-20121108_193130-959824164.jpg   3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift-20121108_1931151654786789.jpg  

Last edited by eunique; 11-08-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: pics
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

nice. thanks. I think I might have a spare plastic one of those. how do we do the mod? and how can I use that for what we want to achieve?

heres pics with overspray film removed and some stickers, light buckets and LED installed...with carbon fiber hood and doors.

I still need to assemble the intercooler and mount it to the chassis and make airdam openings bigger
looks 1 hundred % better
Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

looks 1 hundred % better
Haha...thanks! Looks better than those goofy graphics!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Tech Addict

just read this post properly lol those knuckles aren't what we want. they were just alloy is all. I think we could use street jam or R31 knuckles and cut the bottom mount off drill and tap a hole in the cut section so the lower king pin is offset to the top pin. but the thing is that they are the same as MST knuckles in that they use a larger bearing and the CVD joint sits in the bearing. Possibly may need CVD's as well but need to work out the length of the shafts needed? or fit a bearing into a collar that fits the knuckle?

this is what we are talking about but this is an extreme example
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

ahhh...thanks for the explanation and pic...now that pic makes sense. and the difference in pick up points between top and bottom after the bottom "elbow" is cut off would create the difference in top and bottom kingpins. hope that bearing sizing and CVDs don't make it a problem for us.

I ordered the knuckles from eBay with the link u sent me. thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

ahhh...thanks for the explanation and pic...now that pic makes sense. and the difference in pick up points between top and bottom after the bottom "elbow" is cut off would create the difference in top and bottom kingpins. hope that bearing sizing and CVDs don't make it a problem for us.

I ordered the knuckles from eBay with the link u sent me. thanks.
yeah we'll have to wait till the knuckles arrive so we can see how to include the inner bearing? might be possible to keep the type of bearing we use already and just find something that fits the knuckle the bearing can slide into? otherwise we might need to get some longer shaft CVD's like these 48.5mm shafts

anyway looks like we may be able to keep our CVD's hopefully? the bearings look like the same size as the drive cups and our wheel bearings fit inside them snuggly so I think we'll be right!
I've been talking to another guy doing the same mod to his D3 and he has advised that we need to change the ball joint on the tower to something that only allows vertical movement luckily my tt-01 parts look like they might come in handy with a pair of unused long shock ends fitting the bill perfectly as they are made for a step screw not a ball
here is a pic of the parts

Last edited by pickled; 11-10-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for that update buddy. I'll have to see how this comes out. My order of the knuckles are shipped already, just have to wait for it.

Btw, I got a little practice in yesterday...only one battery though.
But still good practice. Maybe next week when I have time to practice, I'll try to go out to outer holes on the front lower shock mount on the lower arms and see how that goes
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Hey I modded my steering bellcranks crossbar and added about 4mm to it. I used a piece of plastic I cut out of the surround parts come in(not sure what it's called other than rubbish lol) then drilled out both ends and screwed a 10x3mm grub screw in each end then added ball ends to it. I had to put the balls on the under side of the cranks because the cross bar wouldn't fit on the top side as the rear end of the front bulkhead got in the way I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Last edited by pickled; 11-11-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

plus aren't we going to need either a modded A-arm or different A-arm to attach a ball end to to connect to the lower pin? I'm sure some lower arm from another chassis should fit
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Hey I modded my steering bellcranks crossbar and added about 4mm to it. I used a piece of plastic I cut out of the surround parts come in(not sure what it's called other than rubbish lol) then drilled out both ends and screwed a 10x3mm grub screw in each end then added ball ends to it. I had to put the balls on the under side of the cranks because the cross bar wouldn't fit on the top side as the rear end of the front bulkhead got in the way I'll post a pic.
sweet...it seems you now have an even better wider angle?

also, do u have any clearance issues with the front rear mounts? which could limit the travel or is it all clear?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

sweet...it seems you now have an even better wider angle?

also, do u have any clearance issues with the front rear mounts? which could limit the travel or is it all clear?
all clear its closest to the mounts when the wheels are straight. the A-arms I'm going to try modding a ball end to fit like the C-hub

I just bought a set of Active hobby CS gears for my TT-01ED now that is going to have a CS ratio of 2.0 lol

Last edited by pickled; 11-11-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

all clear its closest to the mounts when the wheels are straight. the A-arms I'm going to try modding a ball end to fit like the C-hub

I just bought a set of Active hobby CS gears for my TT-01ED now that is going to have a CS 2.0
those gears look nice...too bad they will be hidden.
so, theoretically it should drive close to the D3 since the ratios are pretty close

I can't wait until you get your inclination mod done...and I'm very glad u did not give up in our chassis and stuck with it

sometimes, I get tempted to buy an MST or some other nicer Japanese drift setups...but then I reassess everything and figure when I get the full options on the D3 that it is as good if noT better than a lot of drift chassis out there and maybe cheaper than other fully optioned ones.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

also...I'm very glad I met these 2 nice guys at my LHS both using Xray chassis practicing this one day and I almost bought a RTR sprint2 for drifting...they gave me a heads up about Sakura and ideas on what to get...and now I have both the Zero S and D3
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

also...I'm very glad I met these 2 nice guys at my LHS both using Xray chassis practicing this one day and I almost bought a RTR sprint2 for drifting...they gave me a heads up about Sakura and ideas on what to get...and now I have both the Zero S and D3
yeah everyone in the scene seems to be pretty helpful and easy to befriend.
I just smashed one of my new yeah racing rims, Doh. I must have weakened it yesterday when I hit a cement lip. I took it out today and didn't even go near any possible things that could do damage was drifting for about 2mins then the wheel flew off at first I thought I'd lost the nut till I picked up the wheel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.