Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Hello all. I have mabey a dumb question but where do you install the front belt tensioner on the d3?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've been running a mates mst ms01d for a bit now. So much better to drive then the D3 and better quality. Will be buying a one of the new RWD IFS kits soon!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Have just collected my 2nd last parcel
Now just waiting for the last one containing the outer and inner suspension titanium coated pin sets, which incidentally are needed right at the beginning, and then the assembling starts!
Presently in the customs department
So it won't be long
Cant wait
Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jason w
Hello all. I have mabey a dumb question but where do you install the front belt tensioner on the d3?
The front belt does not have a tensioner. The center and rear belts have tensioners.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MaruRx7
The front belt does not have a tensioner. The center and rear belts have tensioners.
I was talking about the belt that everyone has to much slack in and gets a tensioner for. Do you just put that on the top plate?
Old 05-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

I was talking about the belt that everyone has to much slack in and gets a tensioner for. Do you just put that on the top plate?
That is the long center belt. Yes, The tensioner justs bolts into an existing hole on the top deck.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Initiate

I decided to build this kit over the weekend so I could tool around with a proper drift car on some smooth asphalt around my house. I like my other two front motor cars, and am looking forward to adding some CS into the equation. Never driven one!

I see a lot of fairly agreed upon upgrades from box stock, but I'm just looking to get it to a point where it's fun and suitable for the surface I'm running on. Is the stock setup that horrible? Less stuff I have to buy the better (unless I love drifting, then I'll cross that bridge.) Got plenty of springs, shock weight oils, and shims laying around.

What is the most basic, essential, setup from stock for pretty rough (compared to carpet and concrete) surfaces? The asphalt is very smooth, but not track-grade.

I see how a front one-way would really change the dynamics, but it seems that the stock CS ratio is not ideal either. I like a challenge, so I'm not looking to make this a ton "easier" to drive since it's for fun anyways.

If it really is horrible stock, then can it be mitigated by setup? I plan on using tamiya yellow springs up front and something soft in the rear. Beyond that and the one-way, I'm not sure what I should plan on ordering to get it to a point where it's fun for my purposes, which will not involve any tracks, clubs, racing, etc. Just something that won't be too frustrating, since it sounds like the stock ratio was a poor engineering choice, as well as how the belts tension (from what I can tell skimming over this thread.)

Do I even need the front one way? It would be nice to have this thing running in a few days, but I did not foresee all the potential problems with the kit that the community brings up, and prefer not to tear down things right after I build them just to get a few packs in waiting on parts.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Hayling
I decided to build this kit over the weekend so I could tool around with a proper drift car on some smooth asphalt around my house. I like my other two front motor cars, and am looking forward to adding some CS into the equation. Never driven one!

I see a lot of fairly agreed upon upgrades from box stock, but I'm just looking to get it to a point where it's fun and suitable for the surface I'm running on. Is the stock setup that horrible? Less stuff I have to buy the better (unless I love drifting, then I'll cross that bridge.) Got plenty of springs, shock weight oils, and shims laying around.

What is the most basic, essential, setup from stock for pretty rough (compared to carpet and concrete) surfaces? The asphalt is very smooth, but not track-grade.

I see how a front one-way would really change the dynamics, but it seems that the stock CS ratio is not ideal either. I like a challenge, so I'm not looking to make this a ton "easier" to drive since it's for fun anyways.

If it really is horrible stock, then can it be mitigated by setup? I plan on using tamiya yellow springs up front and something soft in the rear. Beyond that and the one-way, I'm not sure what I should plan on ordering to get it to a point where it's fun for my purposes, which will not involve any tracks, clubs, racing, etc. Just something that won't be too frustrating, since it sounds like the stock ratio was a poor engineering choice, as well as how the belts tension (from what I can tell skimming over this thread.)

Do I even need the front one way? It would be nice to have this thing running in a few days, but I did not foresee all the potential problems with the kit that the community brings up, and prefer not to tear down things right after I build them just to get a few packs in waiting on parts.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I feel that a front-one way prolongs the life of the front belt... Without it you get 'heap big chatter' as i found out!
Also the UWA's are a must.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

sakura D4 out soon, rwd or 4wd setups.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by zy0000yz
I feel that a front-one way prolongs the life of the front belt... Without it you get 'heap big chatter' as i found out!
Also the UWA's are a must.
I went ahead and put it together. Those **** spring pins! Just need to figure out what shock oils to use to finish it up. I'll just take this upgrade path one a step at a time after some driving, and order the one-way since it seems like a "must have."
Old 05-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

What is the best way to put the sprkng pins in?
Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Don't know, i bought mine pre-built
Taking them out is hard tho.
I reckon just go straight to alloy pulleys with grub screws.

anyhoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqhmPopD4RA
Old 05-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by zy0000yz
Don't know, i bought mine pre-built
Taking them out is hard tho.
I reckon just go straight to alloy pulleys with grub screws.

anyhoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqhmPopD4RA
Would you happen to have a part number for the aluminum pulleys?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Would you happen to have a part number for the aluminum pulleys?
Sorry, I just got one from the LHS to see if it would fit. It does. The grub screw goes into the flattish hole where the pin is supposed to go.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

locate both holes with a small pin/paper clip from one side, slide pin in and pull out the pin/clip as you push the pin is the easiest way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.