Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
2nd Annual GT8 Championship. Labor day weekend Sep/2/2012 at Floyd Bennett Field NYC. >

2nd Annual GT8 Championship. Labor day weekend Sep/2/2012 at Floyd Bennett Field NYC.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd Annual GT8 Championship. Labor day weekend Sep/2/2012 at Floyd Bennett Field NYC.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good Job John Lee and Tom .
It was my first nitro race in 3 years and all I could say was wow.
Had a blast raceing at floyd.
Congrats to all the winners.
Special Thanks goes to Leon who let me borrow his prototype xray.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
PS. ...... after driving in New York traffic, WHAT do you have to do to get noticed by the NYPD ?????
Stop your car, and park it for 30 seconds over the time limit in a No Parking zone...

Mark and Bill - thanks for making the long haul east, and for giving Chuck a rent-a-ride. I guess he's a GT racer now, courtesy of Team C! Mark - sorry you didn't get a chance to start your main due to mechanical gremlins. Bill - you were on kill all weekend - super run! The battle between you and Rob was epic while it lasted. Also thanks to Andy and Rino for traveling such a long way to join us. You both are class acts and I enjoyed speaking to both of you. Special thanks to Andy for your help pitting me in the qualifiers, as well as thanks to Roland for his help in the pits.

Thanks to Phil for his typically amazing job on the mike. Hearing him say over and over "Gary K hits the Neocoli box" is always a treasured FBF experience for me

Thanks to all the companies who sponsored the event - and I was pleased to add my small part - I think everyone went home with something to go with all the runtime we got.

Finally, the bigest thanks go to Tom Baffer for all his efforts to keep both onroad and offroad racing alive in two of the unlikeliest venues in the world - the Bronx and Brooklyn - and to John Lee for his unwavering support of GT racing eveywhere. Without these two guys we wouldn't have the great GT scene we have here in NY. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ya, wasnt to far from ya would of been great to see ya run, maybe next time, Im thinkin abot getting into the GT craze.Ill look for the body should be a quick turn around
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Thanks to everyone involved. Great event for sure. Will be there next year!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like it was a great race! Where are the results posted? or can anyone post any with some pics? Thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Great day of racing!

Awsome event! Thanks to Brucker hobbies, sweep and the other sponsors who made it possible.

This was my first major nitro event with a $175 rctech car that didn't have a fully broke motor until race morning. I kinda just wanted to "try" nitro for the first time. Its FUUN! Being the noob, I forgot my glow plug at home, my receiver battery couldn't hold a charge and my starter box wasn't working (no battery splitter), but thanks to Scott and Rob who got me going. I even went home with a 3rd place trophy, and a free giveaway! What more can you ask for?

Ps....Them serpents looked Awsome yesterday!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Thanks to John Lee and Sweep racing for thinking of the GT8 racers and having this 2nd annual event. Those who run GT8 & couldn’t come missed out on a Great Event that only lacked the occasional sarcasm from other racers who don’t think we deserve any respect.

Both expert & sportsman classes were a lot of fun to watch and Phil on the microphone just took the excitement to another level. ( I think you found your calling watch out Monday night Football)

My son was away in Virginia on Vacation so my good friend Aja Arcibald took over the driving duties on my XRAY GT8. Our day started out with a bunch of unusual gremlins like a clutch bell exploding through the cross town and massive brake failures and a pipe failure after a racing incident

We missed 1 qualifier & started 3rd in the Expert 20 minute B main. Aja ran a flawless race with a car he never ran before and finished 2nd and bumped to the Expert A Main.

15 minutes later we started the 45 minute A main 10th and the fun began. Right away I knew we were down on speed because we lost our 15T pinion earlier in the day and were forced to go with a 16T but Aja had us up to 6th within a few laps. By the second fuel stop we lost 70% of brakes and around the 20 minute mark the fruit of an unfortunate racing incident a T-Bone bent the exhaust mount so badly that a hole was worn through the bottem of the pipe, but at the end of the day our XRAY GT8 was on the Expert A Main Podium with a 3rd place Trophy, Great Job AJA !!!

Those that have not tried the New ROK Sweep tires give them a try they blow the competition away!!! Sweep Racing is always looking to improve their already great products and they did it again!!!

Thanks again to my sponsors Absolute Hobbyz &Sweep Racing for your support.

Thank You Tom Baffer who ran the entire program, he deserves much more than gratitude.

Big thanks to all the other sponsors as well who made this day happen. If I missed any of you I am sorry and thank you as well.

Absolute Hobbyz
Bruckner Hobbies
Buku Power
GMK Supply
Serpent
Sweep Racing Tires
Team C America

Here are a few pictures from the day with more to come, enjoy.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Now thats some wear!!! Good to hear the Xray is coming along well! I wish I could have made it out this year. Ill be ready next year to hit some big races and see all they guys I met at Timezone!

Hey if youg guys havent already read this months RCCarAction there is some GT swag going on! Mark you are famous now man!!! Good to see our class is startign to show up all over.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The question Of the day 1speedy is what the hell type of body was that on that Xray? Very different!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thank you Sweep Racing Tires and Bruckner Hobbies for hosting this awesome GT8 only event. What a blast!!! I want to give shoutout to Tony Q and the crew for the great hospitality. You guys in New York sure know how to put on a great event. THANK YOU!!!!

Here are some photos and the link for the results:

http://brucknerhobbies.com/GT%20Cham...ip09022012.htm

Andy Liu "Flyin Hawaiian"

Last edited by bassman2; 09-07-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So, did you all go ride the Cyclone at Coney Island after the race ??

Jackko
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Congrats to all the racers for making a great race of this. Sponsors deserve all the kudos they can get. Sorry I couldn't make this . Hope to see you all at a race soon.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
So, did you all go ride the Cyclone at Coney Island after the race ??

Jackko
Haven't heard any 'Cyclone' reports......I thought they were going to get rain from the Isaac remnants. Good to hear that the event went so well.

Congrats to our buddy Flyin Hawaiin and Aja for piloting Leon's XRay. Never met Bill but great job if you 'outpiloted' those two!!!!!!

Okay Jackko....where's the post on the 'Pirate' event ?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Guys, what a great racing weekend.

Thanks to John Lee, Phil,and Tom and anyone else behind the scenes that made this race happen. And of course the Sponsors- Great Job...

I would also like to acknowledge my pit guy a "world class road warrior", and on occasions a racer too -- Mark aka Grenade. And to my sponsors- Thanks.

Had a blast all weekend. And to anyone who missed this race, make the next one - you won't regret it. What a great group of guys that attended this race in the "FBF" area. And of course for the comradery in the pits, it was off the charts - and to Chuck - for the reinforcements

See ya at the next one- where ever that may be.

Bill Sydor
Old 09-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow, great weekend of racing and a big thanks to the organizers and sponsors. Special thanks to Mark Wernimont who talked me into racing and provided the car. We have raced and been friends for over 25 years and I'm glad he made the drive out. Also Bill Sydor who helped get me up to speed. It really is about the people you meet and make friends with. The extra close and clean racing was an added bonus.

Chuck Leinbach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.