Wiki Posts
Search

Team Much More Racing - Motor Master

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hy felas!!

I recently buy a Motor Master Surikarn 3.0 and a need to know. this MM run Brushless motor? or only Brushed motors?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Coldn
Hy felas!!

I recently buy a Motor Master Surikarn 3.0 and a need to know. this MM run Brushless motor? or only Brushed motors?
Brushed only.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've seen some guys in Japan using a type of controller in conjuction with the motor master to run brushless motors. Also at the Reedy Race the motor guys from LRP, Hotbodies and other were using dynos for brushless motors.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If anyone would know would a airplane esc work as a controller for the MM?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What you can do for brushless is use the motor master in stead of a battery in to you esc and as long as you hold the throttle on during the test it should be ok
Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Works on silver cans?

Does the the rpm function only work on motors where the brushes can be removed, or does this also work with sealed silver can (mabucci 540 type) motors?

I would like to test all my silver can motors and see which is best.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi all. just purchased a motor master and have a few questions.
where can i purchase replacement rpm bushings? didnt see any on the muchmore usa site. went through one bushing due to the motor not being inserted in the rubber grommet propery, then tore the grommet off tring to push the motor into place. this happened after trying several different motors. has anyone had this issue, and will the motor master still function properly without the grommet? now that the grommet is off i am able to place the motor flat against the side and get a reading. seems to work fine, but im not sure if this is a proper method.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde
hi all. just purchased a motor master and have a few questions.
where can i purchase replacement rpm bushings? didnt see any on the muchmore usa site. went through one bushing due to the motor not being inserted in the rubber grommet propery, then tore the grommet off tring to push the motor into place. this happened after trying several different motors. has anyone had this issue, and will the motor master still function properly without the grommet? now that the grommet is off i am able to place the motor flat against the side and get a reading. seems to work fine, but im not sure if this is a proper method.
I don't know where to find additional bushings. Wish I did. Like you, I removed the rubber grommet, because Tamiya silver can motors don't fit into the opening.

What I did was shoe goo a rubber plumbing washer around the opening so that the body of the motor does not make contact with the case of the Motor Master. I used my dremel to easily make the opening of the washer large enough to accept the end of the motor. Works fine.

I have been told that the aluminum tape on the RPM bushing can be replaced if it starts to come off. You just have to be careful with the size and placement of the replacement tape.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

RPM bushings and rubber grommets are both available as standard spare parts - MM-RB and MM-RR respectively.

Both are inexpensive and are listed as available from Much-More UK.

Also available is an optional part to fit 540 sealed-can motors - MM-RHOA.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
RPM bushings and rubber grommets are both available as standard spare parts - MM-RB and MM-RR respectively.

sosidge: Thanks for that information. Very useful. Are you associated with Much More?

It looks like I can't purchase directly through the web site unless as an individual customer.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Where could I find part # MM-RHOA?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the part numbers, Ill place an order. Does a badly damaged bushing effect the motor masters readings in any way? Just want to be sure I havent damaged any internal components accidentally.

Originally Posted by Geppetto
I don't know where to find additional bushings. Wish I did. Like you, I removed the rubber grommet, because Tamiya silver can motors don't fit into the opening.

What I did was shoe goo a rubber plumbing washer around the opening so that the body of the motor does not make contact with the case of the Motor Master. I used my dremel to easily make the opening of the washer large enough to accept the end of the motor. Works fine.

I have been told that the aluminum tape on the RPM bushing can be replaced if it starts to come off. You just have to be careful with the size and placement of the replacement tape.
Good to know it should still function properly minus the grommet. I dont think ill replace it just yet. For now Ive covered the side with a thin layer of plastic in order to seperate the can from the motor master unit.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde
Thanks for the part numbers, Ill place an order. Does a badly damaged bushing effect the motor masters readings in any way? Just want to be sure I havent damaged any internal components accidentally.
Depends how bad the damage is... if it is so distorted that it is hitting the optical sensor, then yes, perhaps you have damaged it. The internals won't be damaged if the stickers have fallen off, you'll just get false readings.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Depends how bad the damage is... if it is so distorted that it is hitting the optical sensor, then yes, perhaps you have damaged it. The internals won't be damaged if the stickers have fallen off, you'll just get false readings.
I think there has been damage to the optical sensor. The bushing used was rubbing against one of the internal components pretty badly, this was before I was able to remove the grommet and place the motor flat against the Motor Master.
Using a new bushing I ran CTX and Quick tests on seven brand new closed endbell Tamiya motors. Four 540J silvercan motors, and three RS 540 Sport tuned motors. Posted two results below. Amp readings for all motors though slightly varied were pretty consistent. Rpm readings were exactly the same in all tests.

540J
*CTX 6cell
Amp peak: 1.86
RPM: 30
AVG: 0.98
*Quicktest @7.2v
R: 0
M: 2.05
A: 1.29

RS 540 Sport Tuned
*CTX 6cell
Amp peak: 2.33
RPM: 30
AVG: 1.19
*Quicktest @7.2v
R:0
M:2.71
A:1.48

The same RPM readings were also given on two modified motors tested. Just got this thing and think I need to send the unit in for repair.