Wiki Posts
Search

new to onroad touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default new to onroad touring

ok i have a tc4 club racer roller i wanted to race at a local track. the rules say

Touring Stock : 17.5 (blinky,no esc timing)2 cell lipo,spec tire.

Touring Super Stock : 17.5 (open speedo)2 cell lipo,spec tire.

i have a novak gtb 4cell and a Novak Ballistic Spec Racing Brushless Motor (17.5T) motor.

Which class would i run in? what is a blinky esc?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds like Touring Stock. Blinky is a mode that the ESC flashes lights to show it is in a non boost/timing altered setting. The Novak GTB ESC and motor should be fine. The 4cell is your battery? NiMh? You will want a 5000 mAh 30C or better battery for that class. Check your local club rules or at least the rules where you plan to race. They may have battery limits too.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nubie-wan
Sounds like Touring Stock. Blinky is a mode that the ESC flashes lights to show it is in a non boost/timing altered setting. The Novak GTB ESC and motor should be fine. The 4cell is your battery? NiMh? You will want a 5000 mAh 30C or better battery for that class. Check your local club rules or at least the rules where you plan to race. They may have battery limits too.
I suspect he's talking about the 4-cell version of Novak's GTB speed control, they made one they intended for use with 4-cell(NiMh or NiCd) batteries, has a low profile(basically, they took off its heat sink), but otherwise left it unaltered. For a 17.5 Blinky class, it should work fine, though I'm not sure if it has a low-voltage cutoff, so he'll have to be careful when using LiPo's not to run it too long, or else he could overdischarge the pack(& LiPo's do NOT react well to overdischarging)......
Old 07-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes its the 4cell version im extremele careful not to over run it!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry too much about low voltage detection. In my 17.5 blinky with a 5000mah 40c battery, if I run for about 9 minutes, each cell is still only at 3.74 volts, nowhere near the usual 3.4/3.6v cutoff. By then, the motor is getting really hot anyway, so you'll be fine.