Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hooked!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default hooked!

well after 1 race meet im officially hooked on the race scene. been down the track practicing every day since. bonus my daughter is also keen done a great job refueling in the 20 minute heats. so now the brand new rc8 has is my daughters new car to learn with, and im in the hunt for a new model that will remain competitive for some time. so i know theres a million threads on "which car is better.." and i also gather that any car that is half decent when driven well will be competetive in b class. what im after is a car thats competetive in both b and a if i can make it there. so its either rc8.2 team edition, mugen mbx6r or xray xb9. any one of these will do but parts availability is my concern and will be the deciding factor. im in australia. im thinking with the build quality of the x-ray i could just by a few spare a arms and shock towers and be good to go as apparently they dont break much. i wont be bashing this car itll be a slow is fast approach on the track. the rc8.2 is 200 cheaper i can have it for 500. however i would kind of feel like im getting a slightly better rc8. mugen mbx6r is 100 more then the rc8.2. which one has the better parts avilability? i dont mind buying parts from the us as like i said ill be buying the commonly broken parts in advance to have on standby. what i dont want is having parts on a 3 month back order. before any one says whats the lhs support, well he only caters for the cheaper bash brands so none really. basically is the xray $200 better in build quality then the rc8.2 and 100 better then the mbx6r? and is the back order nightmare with euro parts really that bad? my mouse hovers over the buy it now button at this very moment..
cheers to you all.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

X ray, kyosho or mugen in that order. Just my opinion!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

All cars will do the job parts price will differ, durability will differ each kit will have their own character. where your racing and what's being used helps if you need a part. If shipping from US isn't a issue and you don't want to buy local then buy the one you think that's going to fit you the best. People will say buy this because my friend and his mother told me too ask people at the track if you can take it for a few laps if their available
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Mugen all day. I know some guys here that sold there Xrays because they cant get parts.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Everyone is going to tell you to buy whatever car they have.

Any of the current generation cars are top notch. They also all have their draw backs. None of them are perfect.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Rock333
Mugen all day. I know some guys here that sold there Xrays because they cant get parts.
If you buy one part at a time as things break them any kit will have issue buying smart is key.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't run the XRAY but I know its a great car. 2 drivers here run them and they brag how they haven't broke any parts in 2 years. (both are very good a main drivers though).
I chose Serpents, also very durable and I rarely break any serpent parts and I give those cars a beating!
As for Mugens, everyone I know here running them is breaking a arms like crazy on our big fast track.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Tech Initiate

looks like the mugen is the go. just got off the phone to a good hobby shop who sells all three, and he tells me the mugen is worlds away from the rc8.2. also asked about parts for mugen and he keeps a few kits broken down for parts there always available any part in the kit. 599 for the kit. so mbx6r and some spare a arms and shock towers will be here soon. now onto the engine...i can see this spiralling way outa control already. local track only has 1 biggish double and not so long straight its mostly hard pack with loose surface and its pretty rough so no flatout big crashes should be good. thanks guys.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sprattz
looks like the mugen is the go. just got off the phone to a good hobby shop who sells all three, and he tells me the mugen is worlds away from the rc8.2. also asked about parts for mugen and he keeps a few kits broken down for parts there always available any part in the kit. 599 for the kit. so mbx6r and some spare a arms and shock towers will be here soon. now onto the engine...i can see this spiralling way outa control already. local track only has 1 biggish double and not so long straight its mostly hard pack with loose surface and its pretty rough so no flatout big crashes should be good. thanks guys.
You can't go wrong with a Mugen or AE.
How are you with tuning a motor? If you have learned already I would suggest either a Novarossi plus 4 Btt (super smooth and great run time) or a Fusion motor (built by Novarossi) Check out the threads in the off road motor section.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Champion

The XB9 is a light year ahead of where the 808 left off. Improvements everywhere. Old fashioned invinceable XB8 stlye drivetrain is back.

You won't need arms or towers for the Xray XB9. Good spares: body, clutch parts, bearings, shock ends, screws.

Get some cap head screws to thread the plastic parts before installing the kit screws. The kit button head screws will strip out in the diff bulkheads, cap head screws use a bigger wrench. Xray plastic is tough. Grease the screws that go into plastic so they'll come out later.

Sand the tower edges round, like a rockets fin, and dab CA glue on them to seal them up. I use a sponge or radio foam to rub the CA on.

I'd go Xray, Mugen, Kyosho.

Yes, the XB9 is $300 better than the RC8. The RC8 will catch up quickly in spare parts cost.

Yes, the XB9 is $100 better than the Mugen. It's lighter and tougher with stronger front arms.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Im a TLR guy. BUT....... Sounds like you are already familiar with AE. I say stick with AE...... They are good cars, just make sure you have a couple spare shock shafts......
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sprattz
like others have said, there all capable and they all have there good n bad points, but in no way is the mugen worlds away or ahead of the AE, maybe where u run mug is doing good, but in the states alot have had mug and long moved on, I saw a mug snap a arm 2 days ago, always read about it but never seen it.......not to bash mug but they don't drive well enough to look past the weak front arms!! i think he's just trying to sell u a mugen...smh
Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

X-ray is the newest of them all, all other brands will. E releasing new models after the worlds this year, mugen, kyosho and losy have not really changed there chassis from 2008 just minor upgrades....
Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mugen arms break when you case a big jump with your wheels turned. Inside tire hooks on the crest of the jump. I've done it twice. Both times I expected any car to be broken. It's not a big deal.