Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Buggy Driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got into the hobby a couple of months ago and had my first race about a month ago as well. Take your time, it looks easy from the sideline but it's a hell of a lot different up in the stand. As mentioned, slow is fast; I learned that the hard way trying to keep up with the pack and wrecking out.

Race your own race, just set a goal such as just try to finish. My first race I was wrecking left and right trying to take on jumps like I was some kind of pro (lol) and thank god my car help up to the punishment. As the day went on I started to get use to the jumps and I was actually making good time on the mains.

Try to get to the track a little early so you can get somewhat of a feel for the course. Get some decent tires, you would be surprised how often you have to swap tire setups as the day goes on and the track gets worn down.

Me personally I tried my best to let the faster guys go buy me in the straights and some turns to be courteous. Some guys in the stands are complete a$$holes and get mad when THEY run into you or as mentioned raise hell when there car isn't picked up immediately by the marshal, Don't be that guy.

Listen to the older guys out there that have some advice for you, there is a lot of knowledge at the track and those guys can really help you out. Have fun.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jfree3000
Me personally I tried my best to let the faster guys go buy me in the straights and some turns to be courteous. Some guys in the stands are complete a$$holes and get mad when THEY run into you or as mentioned raise hell when there car isn't picked up immediately by the marshal, Don't be that guy.
Actually the straight is the worst place to allow a faster driver to pass. If you check up or slow down on the straight, there is a good chance the driver behind you will run you over, because they are not expecting you to slow down there. Wait until the next turn.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default Practice

Practice each section of the track individualy over and over then finally Thread it together And on race day try and put two solid qualifiers in and on the third balls out you never know you might improve your FTQ
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Actually the straight is the worst place to allow a faster driver to pass. If you check up or slow down on the straight, there is a good chance the driver behind you will run you over, because they are not expecting you to slow down there. Wait until the next turn.
Yeah, but I took the outside lane during that race so there was no problem. The other racers were experienced with the track and had a line they stuck too (fortunately). Haven't been back out there since but thanks for the advice.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kaano97
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at rc tech forums for a while now and I noticed that there are alot.of threads about equipment and setup but not many threads about what is really important which is driving. Do you guys have any tips on driving?
This is the best thread on tech. I was thinking of starting this exact topic. All we do on tech is talk about setups, setups, setups. I would believe that everyone wants to get faster and better at driving to some extent. This topic should be a MILLION pages long. Carry on
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
+1...and it won't change the fact that you're punched everywhere.

Ever wonder how guys get 10+ mins a tank? It's not magic - tune plays a big part, but so does your trigger finger. You should only be at full throttle maybe once a lap, if your track has a big long straight. Maintaining momentum is the key.

Also, learn to gauge your abilities against the top level drivers in your area. For example, I was at Hemet this past weekend for a JBRL and watched Adam Drake make a section only about half the time. I know that if he can only make something 50% of the time, it's really not even worth it for me to try to make it at all. Yet I still saw the majority of the sportsman guys gun it and hope for the best - lap after lap. Be realistic in your abilities and don't think you need to quad everything to be fast.

One last thing, don't let one mistake snowball into several. I see a lot of guys crash once early on, then strap it up and drive over their heads to try and make up time. It's impossible and usually leads to guys blowing out. Don't let a mistake frustrate you. You will make mistakes. Everyone does, we're human after all. My Dad has this saying that if you get marshalled, roll the next jump then get back into rhythm.
+1
Good Advice.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I learned one thing from driving....you can not drive everybody's set-up. It is good to get pros set-up sheet and how they experiment with different parts, but you have to set-up your car to how YOU drive. I have seen many people get new parts and trick there cars out the exact way the pros did and hate their car once thay get on the track. Pros set-up there car to what is comfortable to them. They gain this from LEARNING their car(s) and through trial & error on different set-ups. It good to use them for a baseline, but establish what works for you.

Also make adjustments not only to your car...You may have to make adjustments to your radio(EPA, dual rates, throttle response, curves, etc). I learned from turning some areas down, i became a better driver. After awhile I was able to increase areas once I became comfortable.

Slow is Fast.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madblu2
I learned one thing from driving....you can not drive everybody's set-up. It is good to get pros set-up sheet and how they experiment with different parts, but you have to set-up your car to how YOU drive. I have seen many people get new parts and trick there cars out the exact way the pros did and hate their car once thay get on the track. Pros set-up there car to what is comfortable to them. They gain this from LEARNING their car(s) and through trial & error on different set-ups. It good to use them for a baseline, but establish what works for you.

Also make adjustments not only to your car...You may have to make adjustments to your radio(EPA, dual rates, throttle response, curves, etc). I learned from turning some areas down, i became a better driver. After awhile I was able to increase areas once I became comfortable.

Slow is Fast.
I agree with this 100%, not one setup is best for the car...you have to setup the car for whats best for your style and the track. The best example i can come up with is professional golf, if you ever go get a lesson you will get the same rehashed information on what is best. If you ever get a chance, watch a PGA tourny and you will be amazed at how different each golfer swings etc and all of them are equally competitive when they are ON.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

I'll try the generic pro setups. The ones that the pros use at a few different tracks. Those are usually a sign of what they've found that works for them. Usually thier shock setups are allways decent. But camber/caster/toe/roll center are all track and track condition specific.

When I see an odd setup for one track, I know it's useless until I go to that exact track.

A pro's setup for a blue groove National Championship track is not much help on a dusty fluffy club race track. Such a setup would be understeer city.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have some questions as well, sorry for using this thread, as i am very new to Nitro and off-road, i'm into 1/8 nitro buggy, i have race on 1/10 on-road for 3 years, and just got back to RC after 5 years, i just want to ask if you guys apply brakes before a turn, as in my on-road experienced i don't apply brakes before turns, i just set it up and experiment with weight transfer, it works for me.

BUT now in nitro off-road, my co club members here are telling me that i should apply brakes before turn....is this true? i tried to run 3 tanks yet experimenting with weight transfer, it still works for me, but just curious if it helps to apply brake before turn. Does it makes me faster? Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Fchin
I have some questions as well, sorry for using this thread, as i am very new to Nitro and off-road, i'm into 1/8 nitro buggy, i have race on 1/10 on-road for 3 years, and just got back to RC after 5 years, i just want to ask if you guys apply brakes before a turn, as in my on-road experienced i don't apply brakes before turns, i just set it up and experiment with weight transfer, it works for me.

BUT now in nitro off-road, my co club members here are telling me that i should apply brakes before turn....is this true? i tried to run 3 tanks yet experimenting with weight transfer, it still works for me, but just curious if it helps to apply brake before turn. Does it makes me faster? Thanks
Hairpin? Yes. You need the brakes to get the weight to squish the front suspesion down. And coasting is slower than throttle and brake. Keep in mind that the only place the buggy sits at ride ht is on the pit bench. Everywhere on the track the car should have weight transfer'd somewhere.

Sweepers? No, not usually. If I can get around the turn at the speed I'm allready at then no need for brakes.

Just stand under the drivers stand and watch the fast guys trigger finger. They hit the brakes often. Usually only short stabs are needed.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Great thread, I was looking for something like this
Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 AM
Tech Adept

Also you can pick up driving tips while turnmarshaling, especially on a new track layout, watching for the best race lines. Then I make a few laps, then if there is one section of track that is a little harder, like to go back to turnmashaling that section to pick up something I can use back on the stand, trying a little different line, sometimes walking the track you pick up something you miss from drivers stand. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the great tips and info guys.