Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
high end batteries, chargers, and radios. >

high end batteries, chargers, and radios.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

high end batteries, chargers, and radios.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Default high end batteries, chargers, and radios.

Well I just came from my very first race on saturday. I placed 2nd in stock class with my pro 4 with a dying battery in the A-main. Well when I got there I saw everyone there with all this high end gear. I was at awe. I came up there with a puny $30 charger and 2 3000 nimh stck epic batteries. Well what I'm trying to say is that I'm looking into buying high end gear now. I'm thinking about getting 2 SMC matched batteries. And I'm not sure about what charger to get. either a Pitt Bull X3, Duratrax Ice, or the LRP 2 Pulsar. And I plan on replacing my Xr2i Jr with either a 3PK, M8, or a Ex-Helios 10. So what do you guys suggest. Also should I get NiCD or NiMH batteries?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As far as batteries go, GP3300's right now are the best way to go. I suggest Fukuyama as a matcher. I've been running their packs for 18 months and been team driver for them for a year. Never had any problems and the customer service is awesome. You'll find most matched packs will be good from most matchers. Find a good reputable matcher that you're comfortable with and you'll be set. Get the best cells you can afford. If you're just starting out, super high voltage won't really be needed. Just a few good matched packs will be fine. Top of the line, high number packs aren't necessary yet.

Charger, I love my GFX but it's expensive. I have the original LRP Pulsar Pro and it's also a very good charger so I'm sure the pulsar 2 will be just as good or better. You really don't NEED any more than that.

As far as radios are go. I like the M8. I've had the same one for three years now and it's still awesome. KO also make a very good product. I know a lot of guys who swear by them I've held a couple and they just don't feel comfortable. Most of the top of the line radios from all the major factories are about equal quality, find one that feels the best and you'll be set.

One thing you may also want to consider is the electronics in the car. I don't know what you have in there but a good quality ESC and high end servo are will make a huge difference in the way your car drives. I'd look into those two things as well if you haven't already.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Good tips, can't fault them.

A really quality ESC will do wonders for you, like any of the KO ESC variants (like the Twister 2, I forget what the other versions are called but many manufacturers have them now, re-branded under their own name). I've never had a problem with the LRP speedos but some people have, it comes down to color preference sometimes.

I'd suggest upgrading your batteries and speedo first, servo/radio second and then your charger. As long as your current charger does Ni-MH you'll be fine for a while. Get some discharge boards and bulbs (or a discharger like the Eagle/Trinity/Novak versions).

In general you get what you pay for of course but remember there's a LOT of hype with the high-end stuff. Ask around the pits (or online) and see what people suggest but be sure to ask WHY these guys are using what they're using.

Also, the GP3700's and VTEC 3700's are out now but you likely won't need more than 3300's even if you do modified racing. So you may be able to get the 3300's for less than they cost a couple months ago. And definitely get matched cells!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Well I thought my equipment was letting me down but found out my gearing was way off, maybe yours isn't but its just a suggestion. Also yes I agree on the Batteries, mine are rather puny and Im looking into buying some packs along with a better charger. Im on a budget and have found very decent products.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Suspended

Last edited by cr250; 10-19-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As far a charger if you have a power supply the pitbull is great, but if not look into some of the AC/DC chargers, Durtrax makes some very nice ones. I was using their digital intellipeak for a while and it worked great, I just upgraded to the pitbull and it doesn't really do much more. Get yourself at least three batteries if you run three heats, run one in the first then discharge and run in the main, then run the other two in each heat, I would really suggest having a good pack for each heat and main though, plus I like to have a couple back ups. GP3300s are the way to go right now. Check out some of the online shops many of them run package specials on 3 or more packs. I usally carry 6 capable packs to the track and two practice packs. Can't emphasize enough a good battery discharger, it will make or break your batteries.

If you don't glitch with your radio I would put that at the bottom of the list.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

First thing I'd do is buy a decent charger, you don't need a T35, there are a lot of good chargers in the $100-150 range.... Before investing in good batteries you really want to make sure they are being charged fully and correctly.... Get something with a motor run function... Having a 30amp discarge is nice, but not necessary....

Next is the batteries... Start with oine good pack, use it as your main pack.... You may want to invest in a discharging tray, it's not absolutely necessary, but it'll help you get a better charge into your packs... As you get more money, start buying new packs.... The older packs become your qualifying/practice packs... Take real good ccare of your pack you'll use for your mains....

Then get an good ESC.... You could probably do this before the batteries, but you're still stuck with lesser batteries....

I'd leave radio till last.... It's wonderful having all the bells and whistles but I've been in this hobby since the 70's and it wasn't until the last few years that I finally bought a 3PK....

I'm not giving reccomendations on any brand, that's your choice....

If you have the money... Go all out and join the club of the guys with the expensive toys....
Old 02-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Hows the superbrain 969. Its pretty cheap, but is it good.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

I would stay away from the super brain, and go with the LRP or Pit Bull.As far as radios go I have had great success with the 3PK but would buy that last like the other guys said.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Axel
Don`t forget the most importent thing your driving & setup of the car
Don`t go & buy top gear & expect it to deliver,YOU still have to commandear them ponies & take control of the beast
order of merit
charger
batts
speedo
radio (3pk)
Old 02-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by MR JOLLY
[B]Axel
YOU still have to commandear them ponies & take control of the beast
Old 02-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by MR JOLLY
Axel
Don`t forget the most importent thing your driving & setup of the car
Don`t go & buy top gear & expect it to deliver,YOU still have to commandear them ponies & take control of the beast
Very true.

As far as the Super Brain goes, I would stay away from it. I'm not one to bash products, but any of the MRC chargers are not worth the few bucks you'll save. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

mate if you came 2nd in the A main i think that you dont need anything else just practice
Old 02-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think too many of us get caught up in buying the best of everything, I was hoping that your were going to prove to all of us that are spending thousands of dollars that we don't need to. I was doing fine with my HPI Rally and TQ3, but no, that wasn't "cool" enough and now I am driving Xray and paying 3-4 times as much for parts and kits. I keep telling myself that my XR2 radio is good enough but I keep wanting an M8. Half of what we use is just for the bling and that is sad, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

well the thing is i just don't want all the high end gear just for the hell of it, it's just I think its time I start upgrading to become a better driver. And also learn more. And I don't plan on changing my radio in a looooooong time. But as for batteries concern. I think its time I upgrade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.